Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Compounds in SR3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CloisterCobra
Hi there,

I'm in the final few games of a SR3 game, and we're building up to a bit set-piece "Defend the warehouse"-style climactic battle.

My character is a dwarven mage, and other than a bit of warding, and summoning, I'll probably be mostly running astral oversight. The other day I was reading Man & Machine and came across the magical compounds "Spirit Strength" and "Little Smoke". I couldn't find the Availability/cost in the book anywhere, and haven't ad any luck with random text searches of PDFs or Google.

I'm probably making a newbie mistake, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
CC
freudqo
There are no cost and availability in the book because you are not supposed to find them this way. Actually, finding them should be the basis of a run.
CloisterCobra
QUOTE (freudqo @ Jul 9 2012, 05:37 PM) *
There are no cost and availability in the book because you are not supposed to find them this way. Actually, finding them should be the basis of a run.

Ah fair enough, I had assumed that it was an error with the tables.

Bit of a shame, but I guess it's good inspiration for coming up with McGuffins.
Bigity
QUOTE (CloisterCobra @ Jul 9 2012, 04:12 AM) *
Ah fair enough, I had assumed that it was an error with the tables.

Bit of a shame, but I guess it's good inspiration for coming up with McGuffins.

It probably was just missed. That's way too many missing compounds to just be a 'make up a run to go get some', IMO.
freudqo
Well, the fluff in the book really seems to imply otherwise… And looking at the power granted (regeneration, confusion, concealment, astral perception, animal control etc…), it really seems logical that you shouldn't be able to find them on a lucky etiquette roll.

Maybe making up a run to go get some is a bit exagerated, but I came to the conclusions that you should only get access to it in the course of a run. It could be you asking for the run, or it could be something the GM plans to propose during the adventure.

And I admit this is surprising given the fact that there are very few stuff without availability in the whole collection.
Bigity
That's my thought as well. You have those numbers for tanks, fighter jets, etc. Seems odd to be missing for some awakened drugs, which have go to be easier to move around than military vehicles.
freudqo
Lots of vehicles in R3R and in SOTA:2063 don't have any availability code neither. I meant it seemed strange they took this decision rather than giving it a crazy availability like 35/1 month like they did for some plane and needing some tribe contact. But I'm certain they intended to do so.

Really, they put deepweed in the drug table both in the concerned chapter and the final table. They even added a table with all the compounds with a different format than for other drugs and pharmaceutical, in the final tables (p. 158 M&M).

Once again, looking at the granted power, they did have some good reasons to restrict it this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012