Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fingernail Watch
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Draco18s
Saw a picture of this in my stream and had to share.

http://www.switched.com/2008/07/23/fingern...e-rage-in-2154/
Neraph
Cool.
Dr.Rockso
by Christine Whitney on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Wonder if they've come up with a working one yet
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Aug 8 2012, 03:59 PM) *
Wonder if they've come up with a working one yet

Heh.
Krishach
Talk about having to pay attention. You could scratch an arm and change your timezone.
Umidori
Because adhering a readable graphical display onto the surface of a fingernail makes so much more sense than adhering it literally anywhere else on your hand or arm. sarcastic.gif

Seriously, this is practically the very definition of technocrap. It's like in the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, with the radio you control by making hand gestures in the air, with the added side effect that any errant minor motion will send the tuning hurtling across a dozen or so stations other than the one you were trying to listen to.

There is absolutely no reason to stick this sort of device on a human fingernail. In fact, there are some pretty good reasons not to do so, most of which involve the fact that the tips of your fingers are meant for touching things.

It's also not all that technologically impressive. This could be produced with current technology today, and it'd STILL just be a gimmick. Show me a HUD in my glasses or implanted in the eye itself and I might be curious. And even that won't take 150 years to perfect.

This is just one massive malaise of marketing masturbation - the sort of visionless pap that you get when you ask corporate drones to envision a product to fit a "futuristic" aesthetic.

~Umi
Krishach
Quite so. It's selling point is that it is something non-traditional.

QUOTE (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw)
It's like someone made a submarine out of metal, and the metal submarine works perfectly fine and became the norm, but then someone said, "Everyone makes submarines out of metal - let's make one out of bread!"

Said better than I could.
Draco18s
I agree, quite a bit silly, but it was still worth sharing.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Krishach @ Aug 9 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Quite so. It's selling point is that it is something non-traditional.

Said better than I could.

Hey, if they could make a working one that was safe I'd be a passenger aboard the S.S Baguette.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Aug 9 2012, 11:02 AM) *
Hey, if they could make a working one that was safe I'd be a passenger aboard the S.S Baguette.

It might take a lot of dough to afford a ride, though.
ZeroPoint
I think we need a rimshot emote
Halinn
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Aug 10 2012, 04:03 PM) *
I think we need a rimshot emote

cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012