Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foci and multiple spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
If you cast 2 spells in the same combat turn, and have a power focus, do you add the power focus dice before or after splitting the pool? I remember something about gunfire where I think it said to split the pool BEFORE adding modifiers, I dont know if this carries over to spells or not, and another question, why do the spells like lighting bolt, and flamethrower cause so much more drain, but usually do LESS damage then the direct ones? if they didnt have the chance to "dodge" them it would be at least a little better, but, fighting someone with decent reaction, body and armor and they are useless it seems
Thanee
When casting multiple spells with a Power Focus, I would think that you actually add the Power Focus Rating twice. You have to split Spellcasting + Magic dice pool between the spells, and the Power Focus dice are neither Spellcasting nor Magic. Also, the Power Focus says, that you add its Rating to any test involving Magic. Since there is no test, yet, until you actually roll the dice, the split must have happened previously.

And yeah, the indirect damage spells are not that great. The Drain is high because of the elemental effect, but it is simply too high in comparison, since the elemental effects, while nice, are not as good as they needed to be with such high Drain Values.

Bye
Thanee
Xenefungus
While technically Thanee is indeed correct, many agree that it's too strong that way. With additional dice pool modifiers such as Specialization and Mentor Spirit, you are easily at +8 to all those pools. Which is kinda too much, really.
Aerospider
Re: Direct vs Indirect

This is one of the more contentious issues on DS and you should have no trouble finding more than one very lengthy debate on the subject. The most recent is 'Direct and indirect spells question' which is still on the front page and is 11 pages long so far. Some advocate adjusting the drain codes. Some say that's unnecessary, mathematically undesirable or contrary to fluff. Some say RAW is fine so long as the GM plays up the elemental effects.
Falconer
By strict RAW, situational modifiers both positive and negative are added after the split.

That said, there was a potential errata that was being worked on at the time of the FAQ which didn't make it in. That is reflected in the FAQ and is one of the points where the FAQ contradicts the RAW. And two of the tables I play at add everything prior to splitting specifically because in the case of magic... there are far too many post split dice available. (power focus, specialization, mentor, aid sorcery service for spells less than or equal to the spirits force). It's very easy to run into the other optional rule of magic+skill == dice cap.

So it's a house rule to do these things before the split, but not necessarily an uncommon one in my experience. The problem with the FAQ is that it tries to create a pre-split modifier and post-split modifier... when the RAW never covers this at all... every single modifier in the game would need to be redefined to whether it's post or pre split.

Compare splitting dice for spells to splitting dice for multiple guns at once... practically everything which adds dice as a situational modifier is forbidden by the firing two guns at once. Merely illustrating the problem.

Don't even try to address indirect/direct in this thread please.
Mäx
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 15 2012, 04:13 PM) *
And two of the tables I play at add everything prior to splitting specifically because in the case of magic... there are far too many post split dice available. (power focus, specialization, mentor, aid sorcery service for spells less than or equal to the spirits force). It's very easy to run into the other optional rule of magic+skill == dice cap.

How do you handle the resulting case of casting a force 1 lighting bolt at the nearby wall easily potentially doubling someones dicepool for casting a healing spell for example.
In other words, modifiers for something being abliable to a completely different thinks.

Raiden
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 15 2012, 09:13 AM) *
By strict RAW, situational modifiers both positive and negative are added after the split.

That said, there was a potential errata that was being worked on at the time of the FAQ which didn't make it in. That is reflected in the FAQ and is one of the points where the FAQ contradicts the RAW. And two of the tables I play at add everything prior to splitting specifically because in the case of magic... there are far too many post split dice available. (power focus, specialization, mentor, aid sorcery service for spells less than or equal to the spirits force). It's very easy to run into the other optional rule of magic+skill == dice cap.

So it's a house rule to do these things before the split, but not necessarily an uncommon one in my experience. The problem with the FAQ is that it tries to create a pre-split modifier and post-split modifier... when the RAW never covers this at all... every single modifier in the game would need to be redefined to whether it's post or pre split.

Compare splitting dice for spells to splitting dice for multiple guns at once... practically everything which adds dice as a situational modifier is forbidden by the firing two guns at once. Merely illustrating the problem.

Don't even try to address indirect/direct in this thread please.

well I would say mentor spirit and spec. would apply to your dice pool, so would be applied before splitting. power foci and the like apply to each of your spells individually. as for the gun men, they are plenty strong with or without that excessive dice pool ( wide= you rarely miss) and assault rifle, long burst someone down, short burst another one. you lose a total of 2-3 dice, I would theorize ( of course dont we all?) that they figured common sense would tell us whether something was pre pool (IE skills and att) or post pool (foci or the like). which is shoddy in my opinion but given how much tis game covers, eh your bound to be ambiguous in some areas. on another note, im falling into a run atm and playing a mage, the GM as recomnded i "limit" my spells, where can I find this in a book, and what does it do? also, what book are fetishes discussed in?
Mäx
QUOTE (Raiden @ Aug 15 2012, 05:57 PM) *
im falling into a run atm and playing a mage, the GM as recomnded i "limit" my spells, where can I find this in a book, and what does it do? also, what book are fetishes discussed in?

Rules for limited spell can be found in the corebooks magic chapter.
Falconer
Max:
I have no idea what you're talking about.... I said 2 local GM's enforce a add before split rule, subtract after split similar to what's in the FAQ (the failed errata).

You're not going to more than double any single casting pool... you won't get any better at healing just because you multi-cast ever!

Raiden:
I'm 100% opposite of you... if I had to define pre & post split... I'd limit positive qualities and skill specializations to the post split pools. All other positive mods I'd stuff into the pre-split dice pool.

Both mentor spirits and specializations are very narrow... and if someone really wants say +4 combat spells... to help him multicast... more power to him. That means he's not tossing more effective spells like mental mindfucks and other support spells. It's the single *LARGE* bonuses which are problematic.... an ally spirit aid sorcery on everything for example... +6 on all your spells under force 6. Or a force 4 power focus on everything... That said, more often than not I see people get a mentor spirit +2 in one class of spells and a +2 specialization in another... so I don't see a problem if they cast two *DIFFERENT* spells and get +2 to each after the split (2 from mentor, and 2 from spec).

That's little to no different than the gunnery case where just about the only reliable bonus dice to post split attacks on a pistol adept firing both at once is his specialization in pistols. Just about everything else after the split is a negative mod. (range, visibility, wound penalty etc.)

So to recap if it was up to me... with the exception of positive qualities (mentor spirit, codeslinger, etc.), skill specializations, and all the negative situational mods. I'd treat everything else as a pre-split modifier added to the pool then split with the skill + attribute. House rule territory... but it limits the problems with large amounts of positive dice situational modifiers available to spellcasting.
Raiden
I see the point, I also understand the reason, Power focus of 4 would be +4 dice to each pool, (if done right, the pools are already 9-11 ea.) though, what if they used it for the DV resistance? would it only be usable for one? or both? RAW it seems to be add after, but it can get to the extent where its broken (thats when I say, OH by the way, roll to see if you get addicted >:3) but for the game im dropping in he is saying that it can be used on both pools separately, we also have the add all net hits added to DV to drain rule.
Halinn
QUOTE (Raiden @ Aug 16 2012, 02:31 AM) *
I see the point, I also understand the reason, Power focus of 4 would be +4 dice to each pool, (if done right, the pools are already 9-11 ea.) though, what if they used it for the DV resistance? would it only be usable for one? or both? RAW it seems to be add after, but it can get to the extent where its broken (thats when I say, OH by the way, roll to see if you get addicted >:3) but for the game im dropping in he is saying that it can be used on both pools separately, we also have the add all net hits added to DV to drain rule.

Simple answer to that: you can't add power focus to a drain resistance pool.
Falconer
Oh yeah, the ONLY focus that can add to drain anymore is a centering focus used with the metamagic.

The ability to withhold dice for drain was completely removed in the original SR4 errata. And that ability only applied to spell and summoning foci, not to power foci.

If you used a free action to center while multicasting... the centering focus would add to each drain test. Each one is a seperate drain soak test.
Raiden
welp, good to know that then. id still say power foci R can be added to both dice pools, (if this is abused to much, like I said, call for an addiction roll)
Falconer
Addiction has nothing to do with it unles you're using too much force worth of foci.

By strict RAW yes the power focus is added to casting pool for each spell after the split. (though I agree with the attempt to errata it to be pre-split addition). If you're talking about drain, power foci have never helped with drain.
Xenefungus
Do you really want pre- and post-split modifiers? I sure as hell don't.
Mäx
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 16 2012, 02:55 AM) *
Max:
I have no idea what you're talking about.... I said 2 local GM's enforce a add before split rule, subtract after split similar to what's in the FAQ (the failed errata).

You're not going to more than double any single casting pool... you won't get any better at healing just because you multi-cast ever!

Oh really, let me illustrate using my combat caster mysad build(cos she very good at illustrating this point):
Magic for spell casting 2
Spellcasting(combat) 4
Spellcasting foci(combat) 5
Mentor spirit +2 to combat spells

Dice pool for casting a non combat spell 2(mag)+4(skill)=6 dice
Pool multicasting a lightning bolt and heal at the same time, presplit:
2+4+2(spec)+5(focus)+2(mentor)+2(the wall the lightning bolt is cas is point blank) + 2(the wall is a huge target)= 19 dice
Splitting that 1 dice for the lightning(as i dont really care about how well it does), leaves 18 dice for the heal, thats a 200% increase in casting pool size.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 16 2012, 06:11 AM) *
Oh really, let me illustrate using my combat caster mysad build(cos she very good at illustrating this point):
Magic for spell casting 2
Spellcasting(combat) 4
Spellcasting foci(combat) 5
Mentor spirit +2 to combat spells

Dice pool for casting a non combat spell 2(mag)+4(skill)=6 dice
Pool multicasting a lightning bolt and heal at the same time, presplit:
2+4+2(spec)+5(focus)+2(mentor)+2(the wall the lightning bolt is cas is point blank) + 2(the wall is a huge target)= 19 dice
Splitting that 1 dice for the lightning(as i dont really care about how well it does), leaves 18 dice for the heal, thats a 200% increase in casting pool size.

Except that by the RAW (failed FAQ aside) you add your Mentor Bonus, Focus, Point Blank, and Huge Target modifiers after the split (they are dice pool modifiers, not Skill + Magic). SO it is really 2 spells with a Base 6 Dice in Split, with bonuses as follows.

Lightning Bolt = 1 (per your Split) +2 (mentor) +2 (Spec) +5 (Focus) +2 (Point Blank) +2 (Huge Target) = 14 Dice for the Lightning Bolt
Heal = 5 Dice (per your split). = 5 Dice for Heal

Note that Heal is less effective due to the split of casting 2 spells, and both spells do +1 Drain. So, not so useful. So, Yes Really... smile.gif

Now, had you chosen to split 2 Lightning Bolts evenly (3/3 base Dice), you would have looked like this...

Lightning Bolt 1 = 3 (per even Split) +2 (mentor) +2 (Spec) +5 (Focus) +2 (Point Blank) +2 (Huge Target) = 16 Dice for the Lightning Bolt (F Capped)Lightning Bolt 2 = 3 (per even Split) +2 (mentor) +2 (Spec) +5 (Focus) +2 (Point Blank) +2 (Huge Target) = 16 Dice for the Lightning Bolt (F Capped)

A DEFINITE increase in your capabilities. Assuming you added your Foci for both Spells. And an Additional Drain of +1 (so 2 rolls at 5+ Each, depending on Force), and a Base Damage of Force. *shrug*
Mäx
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Except that by the RAW (failed FAQ aside) you add your Mentor Bonus, Focus, Point Blank, and Huge Target modifiers after the split (they are dice pool modifiers, not Skill + Magic).

Did you actually read the topic at all or did you just choose a random post in a random topic to respond at.
We're specifically talking about situation under a ruling that all modifiers are added before splitting.
Aerospider
I assume Max was offering a proof by contradiction (of sorts) and one that I agree with - it cannot be agreeable to have dice for a specific category of spells be used for another category. Consequently, if added pre-split they must be automatically allocated to a viable pool (on top of the 1 die minimum). This is the same as adding post-split with the caveat that each die is only added to one viable pool.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 16 2012, 06:43 AM) *
Did you actually read the topic at all or did you just choose a random post in a random topic to respond at.
We're specifically talking about situation under a ruling that all modifiers are added before splitting.

I did not see that it was a specific ruling that all were added pre-split. ESPECIALLY since a number of Posts are discussing the differences between Pre and POST split.

Point is... Pre split is JUST as stupid (if not more so... See your "Proof") as POST split.

Get off your high horse.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2012, 11:22 PM) *
Get off your high horse.

Sorry, but it's annoying ass hell when some one goes all RAW on when i'm quite clearly not talking about RAW situation(I know quite well how the RAW rules work, thank you very much)

And yes obviously i agree that add all pre split is quite silly without additional house rules, witch is ofcource why i asked how Falconers GM:s handle this particular problem.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 16 2012, 01:40 PM) *
Sorry, but it's annoying ass hell when some one goes all RAW on when i'm quite clearly not talking about RAW situation(I know quite well how the RAW rules work, thank you very much)

And yes obviously i agree that add all pre split is quite silly without additional house rules, witch is ofcource why i asked how Falconers GM:s handle this particular problem.

No Worries...
Falconer
We haven't had the need to address your problem because no one has been stupid enough to try it. I agree it's stupid to have a bound spirit or spell focus which can only add to one class of spells give it's bonus to another simply because multi-casting was used. I understand your reading... but I never gave a rule, only a guideline and mentioned that the powers that be did have an errata in the work which mirrored the FAQ which did split dice modifiers into pre & post categories. So you twist the guideline to it's worst possible case, which the GM would beat someone silly if they tried.

More or less no one has been dumb enough to bound 'spell foci' instead opting for power foci. I'm generally the only one who multi-casts at all or makes regular use of aid sorcery.

But when I pointed out that my force 12 ally (aid sorcery any type of spell under force 12), plus force 5 power focus. That's automatic +17 dice on any spell or summoning test. Even if I make multiple at once and split my starting 19 dice up.

Yes it's a ludicrously high power game I don't enjoy playing much; we were also all forced to be drakes so my prime interest in the game has been avoiding draconic entanglements/enslavement). He also learned I wasn't shy about multicasting 2-4 single target spells at once instead of tossing area effects. And wasn't shy about using powerbolt to wreck military vehicles at OR7 starting. (I've mentioned elsewhere we used the RAW OR5+ as published, to increase vehicle OR by 1 point per grade, OR5 commercial, OR6 security, OR7 military.)

The lower power game picked up real quick that it was trivially easy to pick up +10 or more dice per spell cast so also opted to follow the FAQ's guidance and declare foci & aid sorcery to be pre-split).

The problem is lets say you're multi-casting two of the same spell at the same time... you have two guards. You know control thoughts (+2 drain). You have +8 in assorted bonuses to manipulation spells. Your base magic + spellcasting is 10. That's one at 18(+2drain), or two at 13(2x +3drain). Still rather good. Another good example is using 'influence' + 'alter memory' at the same time. (implant the suggestion and make them think it's their own idea).

Another way to go at it would be simply rule, that they stay post split, but alter the rule as regards foci & bound spirit aid sorcery. You can only use it once per test per complex action. That would mean.. you cast multiple spells, you still add it afterwards, but can only add it once, not twice to each dice pool test. Personally, I think that's the best way to handle it. It's simpler and more elegant.

But again, I don't see a problem with specialization or mentor spirit being post split... they're small and they are what allow you to make a moderate power mage who's still effective 'in his niche'. A street combat mage... master healer... mindraper, etc.
Raiden
here is a thought. your using the opt. rule for direct spells. every +1 net hit you add to your base DV gets added to your drain. there you go, now casting 3 spells at once even with a power foci is not near as tasty. its a "oh shit" button. say they use indirect spells. that's still easily 5-7 drain per spell. say they overcast the direct at force 9-11 maybe casting 2-3 spells. I am still fine with that because that's 4-5 (not counting the additional +1 per spell drain) drain from a manabolt that deals lethal damage to the caster. and hey have to resist it for evey extra casting. PLUS the extra drain for additional spells cast. It is not Broken because even though they can dish out A LOT of damage and death, the drain can hurt and even KILL them. most people will have anywhere from 9-13 maybe 14 dice to resist that drain with. also, if they do poorly and take more than 3 damage resisting the first spell, they are at another -1 to resist the other one or two. I would reason letting power foci be post-split. if they NEED to do that much damage that quickly, exp. to save half the party, an Important NPC, or just to be freaking stupidly heroic. let them have that boost to actually get it done.
Falconer
We do use the optional direct drain rule Raiden. And I can't make heads or tails out of anything you've written! But If you're saying what I think you're saying... that the optional rule on it's own is enough to limit this. You have this dead wrong. If the optional rule for increasing direct combat spell drain by net hits used for damage. You never use net hits for damage... that's just being stupid.

Your contrived example is awful. It doesn't address the fact that shortly out of chargen for a exceptionally specialized mage, I can multi-cast force 10 spells at +16 dice each post split (not even including pre-split skill + magic dice).

I've gone over the math numerous times in multiple threads where I defend the optional rule as accomplishing the ends of balancing directs vs indirects. I'm not going to do it again here.

Even the game's authors realize this is a problem with the sheer amount of post-split dice available in this case. If they didn't they wouldn't even consider an errata to address it. The current line dev has a huge aversion to any kind of errata to fix anything though. JMHardy only believes in breaking the system more, not fixing anything.

Every other case where you can split dice to make multiple attacks the post-split positive dice are far far more limited to no more than +2 to +4. I believe that the game would be better if spellcasting was the same limited to +2 to +4 max for a specialist in post-split dice.

Raiden
I understand what you are saying. The Thing I am saying is that the mage is risking a lot more than the guy with a gun. I am also not sure where you got the 16 dice pools per cast post split without the magic+skill dice. From what I have read and seen you can get +4 from specialization and a mentor spirit. and an Additional +4 from a power focus ( you cannot start with a R5 or higher Power focus). the highest spellcasting focus is R5 with the restricted gear perk total of 13 dice.
If I have missed something please correct me.

you paid at least 10 bp just to be able to get that extra +9 from the foci. not mentioning the 7bp from mentor spirit and specialization. a R4 power foci and R5 spell-casting foci are 200,000 (40bp) for a total of 57bp.

Now, I have never been in a game where the spell specialization was allowed for post split adding. the mentor spirit Has gone both ways. so I have seen anywhere from an 9-11 Post split dice modifier. (which adding a maxed sorcery and magic skill is between 21-23 dice) on par with or lower than dice pools I have seen combat specialists roll with automatics and the like. (which they get two shots per action phase without losing much of said dice pool with a +5 dv and +3 dv or -5 defender pool and -3 defending pool. with a lose of 1-2 dice.) not to mention called shots for a -x dice and +x damage boost.

and to reiterate what I stated above the mage has to resist said drain from his spells. whether overcasting a direct spell (at force 9 is a drain of 4) for lethal damage, ( not to mention he is probably getting shot at) or casting an indirect for around 6 drain for stun damage. if he chooses to cast 3 of either spells stated earlier he must resist the drain of each of them +1 per additional spell with a dice pool of anywhere from 10-12. (13 for the first spell if he has centering)

A mage wishes to overcast 3 manabolts at 3 guardsmen at force 9. (assuming he somehow rolls a higher initiative) he would roll 21-23 dice ( which with the optional rule are useless used in this way except to gaurentee hitting them) he must then resist drains of 6 physical damage per spell. (4+2 due to additional spells cast). ( 5 drain if using stunbolt). with a dice pool of at best 12-13 to resist There is no way he can resist it all every roll. he would take at least 1-2 damage on each roll. at 3 boxes of damage he loses a die for resisting drain (-1 wound modifier) which makes resisting the rest even harder.

If the mage had instead chosen to use indirect spells rather than direct and cast 3 lighting bolts at a force of 6-7 depending on initiate grade or some variant of he would have to resist 8 stun drain per spell. here the mages large dice pool per spell comes into full effect by generating large amounts of net hits for the extra damage. but at 12-13 dice for drain resistance unless he spends a couple points of edge its safe to say he goes unconscious. (oh hey, there was a guard just in the other room that you did not get!)

also for fluff reasons, If you can cast a spell at a certain power, why, if you chose to cast multiples of it weaken the power at which you cast said spell? and if you are channeling said spells through a device to strengthen them, would it diminish its strengthening just because more than one spell is passing through it?

( of couse this is assuming power foci and spellcasting foci stack, I have never tried it as i feel the power foci gives me plenty of umph).

as for the net using net hits, if they do not overcast then they wont die or get knocked out. if they do overcast, they are risking their physical health, which I think is more than enough. especially fluff wise.
Falconer
You've blinded yourself. I said before only the ignorant use a spell focus. That's not the source of the dice. You've also demonstrated you don't know the rules, which makes everything else you've just said highly suspect. You can only use one focus on one test. Furthermore, I was talking strictly RAW vs. the errata they were working on none of us has ever seen so don't know the details of. So specialization does go post-split by RAW and RAI. (it's a dice pool modifier, not a skill modifier!)

A power focus is prefered because it adds dice just like a spell focus, but it adds them to EVERYTHING. (casting any spell, summoning any spirit, binding any spirit, dispelling magic... etc.).

That's only 29 BP for the R4 power focus (great deal out of chargen... +4 dice on all your magical stuff for a mere 29BP... compare to 40BP for an actual 4point increase in magic to 5). Mentor is 5BP (and helps more than just spells). 24BP for 6spellcasting. (notice that little to none of this is far above what a character NORMALLY pays when he chooses to be a magician, so the cost at the margin is minimal). Then we start with say 2BP dropped on summoning ritual matierials. Learn spells... increase wil should be one, as well as increase your secondary drain stat. All said... 42BP total (13 of which most mages start with anyhow! I commonly see mages start with force 2 power focus as well for a mere 12BP). So don't say this is a major investment it costs the mage a single skill group.

Step 1. Bind spirit of man force 6+, innate spells, increase wil and increase cha. ($3000)
Step 2. spirit is tasked with using it's innate spell power to keep your mental attributes maxed. Congrats you've now got 9wil and 9logic. 18 dice to resist drain.
Step 3. Summon and bind a force 10 spirit of your school. (you have 18 dice to resist drain... you can do it!), $5000 (congrats you still have $2000 in ritual materials left over).

You've now got two spirits bound... one of which is a real badass.

+10 dice aid sorcery force 10 or less, +4 power focus, +2 Mentor. 16 dice. (if we toss in specialization that's 18 dice).

Use your first two karma to get your specialization (2BP vs 2karma... no contest to the power gaming twink!).

As for the rest... this doesn't matter. I can use a different spell to get the same result. Say a force 3 turn to goo. Then steal all the good bits... stab the puddles to death...

You also fail to address why spells get special treatment with so many potentially uncapped positive dice modifiers post-split. While every other attack method which allows splitting is capped to only specializaation and positive qualities. (such as codeslinger, mentor spirit, etc.).

You're not going to sway me here. All this is a way for the mage to hog the spotlight... where's the street sam in all this, the decker, the rest of the team? If things aren't mixed up in a furball... why aren't you using an area spell right away!! You don't address at all the problem I pointed out earlier... Simply dual-casting 2 force 5 combat spells to drop a single target... let alone 2 force 5 turn to goo's to neutralize 2 targets in a single pass.

You claim this is heroic and exceptional. I see multi-casting as routine, even in lower power games... because it gives the mage the single best tool to work with. Action advantage... the ability to do more than one thing at once.
Raiden
I never said your view was "wrong" I just like arguing :3 just giving my reasoning of why to allow it. I apologize on the Foci, I have never tried to nor been in a group where someone tried to stack them and was away from my books so I was Unsure whether or not they could be stacked.

a spirit of that force is going to require concentration to keep under control -2 due to concentration :3. ( no matter what you do power gamers will find ways >.>) as for the innate spellpower of the spirit to keep your att. maxed are you referring to Spell Binding? If so then I could think of a ton of ways to legally screw with the mage haha.

as for force 3-5 turn to goo spells. this may need some house rules to get around. I can not find anything in the books I have, although to be honest I have not put much effort to, But I think I remeber seeing somwhere that you could also limit the number of hits based on the force the spell was cast at. (If this is true, there you go, if not I concede on this point, (they may still need to specialize in manipulation) but that wouldn't hurt to much best thing I could think of doing is giving most sec. guards bod 5 and putting a mage with them haha.

The two force 5 combat spells to drop one guy is fine by me though. since you would drop him either way. (maybe its warded with a mana barrier and spirits can not get in, if you think the mage is to strong. usually in the few arcs I have been in most of the time mages wind up going after most of the other more combative party members. ( and unless they have a sustaining foci or are sustaining an increased reflexes spell will usually not have more then thier 1st action phase) even with RAW you have ways to CC the power gaming mage.

there is still the point of the entire NPC team would be targeting the mage. (The street same should be keeping them OFF the mage. as for the dacker, he has plenty of spotlight time outside of fights as do must other chars that are not built strictly for when shit hits the fan)

RAW mages are indeed powerful, but in respect when you think of a mage ( in any movie or rpg/tabletop) they are SUPPOSED to be stronger then "mundanes". I myself actually prefer adept chars, with only a couple of mages made. (I still get scared when I see an enemy mage, your SUPPOSED to be.)

I did not think about abusing the spirits that way since I have never come across it in games (except the aid sorcery, that comes up alot :3) and since I play more adept chars I haven't read all there is on spirits.
Midas
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 18 2012, 01:51 AM) *
That's only 29 BP for the R4 power focus (great deal out of chargen... +4 dice on all your magical stuff for a mere 29BP... compare to 40BP for an actual 4point increase in magic to 5). Mentor is 5BP (and helps more than just spells). 24BP for 6spellcasting. (notice that little to none of this is far above what a character NORMALLY pays when he chooses to be a magician, so the cost at the margin is minimal). Then we start with say 2BP dropped on summoning ritual matierials. Learn spells... increase wil should be one, as well as increase your secondary drain stat. All said... 42BP total (13 of which most mages start with anyhow! I commonly see mages start with force 2 power focus as well for a mere 12BP). So don't say this is a major investment it costs the mage a single skill group.

Step 1. Bind spirit of man force 6+, innate spells, increase wil and increase cha. ($3000)
Step 2. spirit is tasked with using it's innate spell power to keep your mental attributes maxed. Congrats you've now got 9wil and 9logic. 18 dice to resist drain.
Step 3. Summon and bind a force 10 spirit of your school. (you have 18 dice to resist drain... you can do it!), $5000 (congrats you still have $2000 in ritual materials left over).

You've now got two spirits bound... one of which is a real badass.
+10 dice aid sorcery force 10 or less, +4 power focus, +2 Mentor. 16 dice. (if we toss in specialization that's 18 dice).
Use your first two karma to get your specialization (2BP vs 2karma... no contest to the power gaming twink!).

While the above may be a staple at your table, I am not sure it is quite the SOP you suggest on most tables. For one, a lot of GMs rule that high force spirits always use Edge to resist summoning/binding, so binding them can become quite risky (especially if they get an unusually good roll). For 2, having a high force spirit sustain Increase Drain Stat x 2 spells on you means you can't go through wards without alerting the mage who built them or dropping the spells (and the GM is entirely in his rights to make dropping and recasting the spells eat another service). For 3, why the hell are you using a F10 spirit to aid sorcery? It could probably kick the opposition's arses and find you the McGuffin without breaking a sweat in the first place.

I am not saying you are wrong, just that the modus operandi outlined in your post is definitely on the powergamer end of the SR spectrum, and would require a pretty lenient or masochistic GM. As always, YMMV.

And while it is true that you can start building up a lot of post-split DP bonuses when multicasting, you fail to mention that there can be a lot of negative DP penalties from visibility and cover that to an extent offset this. Don't get me wrong, multicasting can be useful, but it ain't necessarily all that.
Falconer
Midas... once again he asked how I could get to 16 dice out of chargen (toss in spec out of chargen and we're up to +18 post split)... I agree, we regularly edge any spirit over magic. But in this case... you just made the character, it has no karma... if it dies... make another clone. (escaped clones! haha). The reason the character has 18 dice for drain (human, I could make it more with dwarf or elf, or by taking focused concentration... bind a force 7... 7 cha starting elf... now we're up to 21 dice drain). Two the increase stats were for purposes of resisting the force 10 binding drain! Not for running around... you're nitpicking.

You see my point you're nitpicking over minutiae. Whether the spirit bonus is +5 or +10... it dwarfs anything available to other split dice attack vectors. Even at that, even against a GM opposed to it... there's not much he can do to stop it except spend edge on the summoning ritual... or other deus ex machina railroading techniques like stealing ritual materials/disrupting the ritual, etc.

Even limiting to a single spirit force == magic. That's still +13 dice post split! (why I say it's just nitpicking)

Secondly, you completely missed the context.
Firing two pistols at once... large post-split dice. None (+2 specialization), Also Range penalties.
Attacking multiple targets in melee. Only one, weapon focus if awakened (+2 spec, +-reach, if awakened +weap focus +5*) (but it's resisted by attribute + skill, or attribute + 2x skill).
Attacking multiple targets in astral combat... treated as melee, same problems.
Attacking multiple icons in cybercombat. None, (Specialization, Codeslinger)
Attacking multiple targets with a spell. Large post split bonuses from MULTIPLE sources and resisted attribute only more often than not, sometimes +counterspelling.

Other factors you bring up like cover and visibility... are common penalties to all but one of them (and cover is a defense modifier, not an attack modifier).

One other that might apply is tacnet... but strong emphasis on might. Of the list of possible tests the GM *MIGHT* allow.. we've found that +attack and +defense is badly OP. Everything else on the list isn't bad (info guided attacks, surprise, perception, etc. even the optional to give an initiative bonus. We just think that tacnet shouldn't be any better than if you already have a smartlink).

So after looking at that again... I think the best way to handle things would be to to only allow specializations or positive qualities to apply to multiple tests. Some kind of restriction that typed bonuses must be applied to appropriate types.
Mäx
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 18 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Firing two pistols at once... large post-split dice. None (+2 specialization), Also Range penalties.

Attunement is also an option for adepts.
Also the range penalties are quite simple to get rid of.

Edit: Synch genetreatment is also +1 to all combat test(so works on ranged, melee and unarmed) after enemies first attack(now that i noticed it works for ranged too, i think i might have to add this to some of my builds) also for unarmed taekwondo has an advantage that gives +1 if your attacking more then one target.
Raiden
honestly it doesnt matter, when your talking "+13-18 dice before adding magic + skill they can still split into 2-3 spells and stand fairly good odds of hitting direct spells
Falconer
Good catch Max... I was thinking out of chargen. But that's right as well.

But it's only +2 until you're initiate grade 3 or 4 (forget if it rounds down or up). So it's not exactly a large modifier.

But I'm noticing a definite pattern here. All the large post-split dice pools are magical in nature.

Machine sprite on a smartgun maybe as well... I know that's capped somehow... but need to look it up.
Xenefungus
Off-topic: For physical combat, my 6 arms shiva character (everyone has one, right?) gets +4 from tacnet (as already mentioned. the seven members are his six guns plus himself wink.gif) as the largest bonus, +2 spec, +3+1 because of two options for the skillsoft he is using (customized + overdrive? something like that). but it comes at a hefty price because the +3 gets subtracted from all other tests. still, it's +10 to all six split pools. plus the 2 from splitting base pool of 12 (agi 8 + skillsoft 4) thats 12 dice for each attack, which is ok.
Mäx
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Aug 18 2012, 06:10 PM) *
+3+1 because of two options for the skillsoft he is using (customized + overdrive? something like that).

Personalized and Overdrive.
Just read those and holy hell are they badly written, there's absolutely no reason for those bonuses to be dicepool modifiers instead of skill modifiers.
But yes as written you can get +4 with those 2 to all your pools, witch actually makes not even having the combat skill and just using a chipped skill better then actually having the skill if your planning to only shoot 2+ guns every time.

Combining those with the stuff from my last post can net an adept (warriors way, initiation grade 3):
4(tac-net)+4(soft options) +2(attunement with the weapons) +1(synch) = +11 to all pools against opponent that allready attacked her.(you cant have a spec for the chipped skill)
Falconer
Max:
Also like I mentioned machine sprites... please correct me if I'm wrong but can't the sprite be lent out to another player in the same manner as a spirit? Or are it's bonuses reserved solely for the technomancer?

Also strikes me biowires allows things including the threading of options. (and ultra-cheap skills... yeah I'm learning this at rating 6 for 6 karma)...

Xenefungus. Read the Tacnet rules for once. You require ignoring everything in the section... or making questionable readings of everything as well as outright ignoring limitations you don't like. The problem is the whole section is grey, and where it isn't grey powergamers run roughshod over them and make up all kinds of excuses which don't fly when you read the few published limits.

6 guns providing the exact same info from the exact same point of view don't exactly contribute much of anything to a tacnet.

Two... the rules clearly state only *MIGHT* provide a bonus subject to GM interpretation.

Three, drones are limited in how many sensor channels they can provide to a tacnet. It doesn't matter whether they subscribe external sensors or not... they can only provide sensor rating number of channels to a tacnet. Once you get drones involved (not full size vehicles, only drones) your tacnet is limited to rating 3 using drones with maxed out sensors.

Sorry, tacnets are a huge pet peeve of mine. Every powergamer immediately hits on full rating +4 to well almost everything for next to no cost. They don't read the rules... and importantly expect GM's to acquiesce to their warped readings of it all. Especially the bits over tacnet benefits... a GM *MIGHT* go along with.

I just find the whole matter silly as well. Smartlinks and other electronic aiming aids are banned. SO why suddenly are tacnets? (look at red dot as well). You have +2 from smartlink AR bonus... now tacnet is an additional +4 AR on top of that?! As well as your defense tests... and perception, surprise, etc. etc. etc. I can see the surprise/perception/knowledge type enhancements... but not the direct combat dice pools.

All I have to say is any GM which allows you to actually pull this kind of nonsense is either running one of the most pink mohawk games known to man or has completely lost track of his senses.
Mäx
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 18 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Max:
Also like I mentioned machine sprites... please correct me if I'm wrong but can't the sprite be lent out to another player in the same manner as a spirit? Or are it's bonuses reserved solely for the technomancer?

If you mean the sprite using diagnostic on the gun, then it doesn't even matter if the sprite can be lent or not as the bonus from that isn't in anyway tied to owning/controlling the sprite.
Ofcource if a GM allows that power to be used to shoot better, he has to use your words lost all track of his senses.
But if you do find a GM who allows that, then there's also the Analyze Device spell.
So even being quite conservative and only assuming +3 dice from both of those, brings us to quite crazy +17 dice to all pools.(this would ofcource require separate sprites and spells for each gun, but the bonuses can potentially be much higher)
QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 18 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Also strikes me biowires allows things including the threading of options. (and ultra-cheap skills... yeah I'm learning this at rating 6 for 6 karma)...

Skillsoft are limited to rating 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012