Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Noll
How would you make it?

Cyber-implanted mage with Geasa?
Magician-Adept with Magic 1?

Share your tricks!
Glyph
Off the top of my head:

Any sorcerer with Priority: A resources, loaded up with foci (remember, you aren't limited to only one focus adding to attacks, so something like two rating: 6 manabolt foci is possible).

Adept of the magician's way, 3 points spent for mage Magic: 4 (with gesture geas), 3 points in improved ability/weapon skill, a bound rating: 6 weapon focus, and ambidexterity, for an overwhelming melee dice pool. I think this build also has enough resources to buy (but not bind) a rating: 6 manabolt focus, for a soon to be formidable spellcasting dice pool (go-to spell: manabolt rating: 6, with the exclusive limitation to be treated as only force: 4 for purposes of Drain).

Any hermetic mage able to summon an "attack pack" of elementals.

Any mage with lots of 'ware and a power focus (which actually raises your effective Magic rating in SR3). Rock out those wired reflexes, and still toss a killer force: 6 fireball!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Noll @ Aug 19 2012, 09:39 AM) *
How would you make it?

Cyber-implanted mage with Geasa?
Magician-Adept with Magic 1?

Share your tricks!

For Magician's Way Adepts, remember that Magic Loss hits Magical Power first, and that if you ever hit 0 Magical Power you can never buy more and are henceforth a crippled ordinary Adept. I get the feeling that many GMs never actually bother checking for Magic Loss (at least in situations where the player isn't blatantly and deliberately risking it, like using stimpatches), but unless you can guarantee that it's a big risk.

That said, there's no One True Path to power. Major choices to be made include what your role is going to be, how you're going to accomplish that role, etc. etc. etc.

For one example, here's a mage character I built (128 BP, for a game expected to be short):

CODE
Belial

Aspected Seductress Shaman Sorcerer (+2 dice Illusion, +2 dice Control Manipulation, Willpower(6) test to avoid self-indulgence)

Attributes:

Strength: 6

Body: 4

Quickness: 6

Intelligence: 6

Willpower: 7

Charisma: 6

Reaction: 6 +1d6

Essence: 5.4

Bio Index: .4

Magic: 5

Pools:

Combat Pool: 9/9

Spell Pool: 6/6

Karma Pool: 1/1

Good Karma: 0

Total karma: 0

Skills:

Athletics 4

Polearms 6

Shotguns 6

Sorcery 6

Etiquette 2

Bioware:

Trauma Damper (.4)

Any physical damage has one box shifted to Stun. Any stun damage has one box removed.

Cyberware:

Smartlink-II (alpha, .4)

Cybereyes (.2)

Thermographic Vision (in cybereyes)

Low-Light Vision (in cybereyes)

Flare Compensation (in cybereyes)

Spells:

Treat 3 (Exclusive, cost)

Increase Reflexes +2 1

Physical Camouflage 1

Stealth 1

Physical Mask 1

Foreboding 6 (Fetish, drain)

Hot Potato 6 (Fetish, drain)

Control Actions 6 (Fetish, drain)

Control Thoughts 6 (Fetish, drain)

Gecko Crawl 5

Gear:

Weapons:

Franchi SPAS-22

Conc. 2(4), Ammo 10(m), SA/BF, 10S, 4kg, RC 0(1)

Smartlink-2, folding stock

Franchi SPAS-22 (Sawed-Off)

Conc. 4(6), Ammo 10(m), SA/BF, 9S, 3kg, RC 0(1)

Smartlink-2, folding stock, heavy pistol range

Shotgun slugs (x100)

Shotgun shot shells (x100)

Bola rounds (x20)

Shock Lock rounds (x20)

Stun Shells (x40)

Flare rounds (x40)

Bayonet (as Knife when detached)

Underbarrel, Conc. -1, .75kg

Telescoping Staff

Conc. 5/2, Reach 2, (STR+2)M Stun, 3kg

Spear

Conc. 2, Reach 2, (STR+4)L, 2kg

Flash-Pak (x4)

Conc. 12, .2kg

Causes +4 TN to anyone facing, +2 with Flare Compensation. If used in darkness, relieves darkness penalties but imposes own +2 TN penalty.

Clothing/Armor:

Ordinary clothing (3 sets)

Fine Clothing

Forearm Guards

Conc. 12, Ball. 0, Imp. 1, .2kg

Secure Jacket

Conc. 9, Ball. 5, Imp. 3, 3kg

Longcoat

Conc. 8, Ball. 4, Imp. 2, 1kg

Rapid Transit Heavy Jumpsuit

Conc. 6, Ball. 2, Imp. 4, 2kg

Form-Fitting Body Armor (Full)

Conc. 12, Ball. 4, Imp. 1, 1.25kg

Misc. Gear:

Tranceiver (R6)

Conc. 8, 1kg

Subvocal Mic

Conc. 12

Stimpatch (R6) (x4)

Tranqpatch (R10) (x3)

Psyche (x4)

Ingestion, speed 10 minutes, addict. 4M, tolerance 2, edge 10/20, fix factor 1 wk

+1 Intelligence for 12-Body hours, Awakened users temporarily gain Focused Concentration

Zen (x12)

Inhalation, speed 5*d6 minutes, addict. 3M, tolerance 2, edge 5/50, fix factor 2 days

-2 Reaction, +1 Physical TNs, +1 Willpower for 10 x d6 minutes.

Cram (x5)

Insufflation, speed 10 minutes, addict. 4M, tolerance 2, edge 5/50, fix factor 2 days

+1 Reaction, +1d6 Initiative for 12-Body hours. User suffers M wound for equal time on crash.

Magical Gear:

Illusion Fetish: ring with silver band and pale blue stone. Beli wears this around his neck on a thin silver chain, generally inside his clothing.

Manipulation Fetish: plain, unadorned ring made of a thin ebony band. Often worn on the same chain as the illusion fetish, though Beli sometimes wears it on his hand for luck.

Sustaining Focus (F1, Increase Reflexes +2): a modified Sephiroth carved in ebony and inlaid with obsidian. Astoundingly difficult to read in all but the best light.

Contacts:

Vass (Human magical researcher/talismonger, L1)

Gaap (Human mage/information dealer, L1)

Lifestyles:

Low (4 months)

Low (2 months)

Edges/Flaws:

Focused Concentration (2): TN mod for sustaining spells reduced to +1, can sustain up to Sorcery+1 Spells at once.

Bad Karma (-5): requires double the standard karma earning to gain karma pool.

Combat Monster (-1): takes 3 turns to break off from combat other than through victory, reduced by successes on a Willpower(6) test.

He's a Combat Mage built on using Hot Potato to disarm ranged opponents, Foreboding for area denial, and Gecko Crawl to close to melee from unexpected directions and at surprising speed, with some more stuff thrown in for utility. I present him as an example partly because I'm proud of him, but also because he illustrates the diversity of possible mage builds—consider that he fills the broad role of "combat mage" without a single combat spell.

That said, the big thing is the Trauma Damper, which is very nearly -1DL for all Drain tests. It's so revoltingly good that nerfing it is a high SR3R priority, right up there with Enhanced Artwinkulation and Chipjack Expert Drivers. Once you have part of a point of Virtual Essence Loss, you may as well spend the rest of the point—vision modifications are especially good, as no non-Cyber gear helps spell LoS.

~J
Noll
Hey Kagetenshi, how would you make it with the priority system?
Kagetenshi
I wouldn't, quite honestly. I'll take about ten minutes to see how I might start, though…

Edit: based on the listed Willpower of 7, I must have taken either Bonus Attribute Point or Exceptional Attribute: Willpower and a purchased point, but it isn't listed under Edges/Flaws; I assume I went BAP, but haven't reverse-engineered the character to be sure.

We've got Human and Aspected Mage, so that's Priorities E and B. Attributes total more than you can get in Priority, but if you throw in another 4 points of Flaws to BAP a bunch of attributes you can make it work with Priority A. At 24 Skills he's 3 skill points under Priority E for Skills, and since Priority E is already taken by Human that forces taking either 6 more skill points or taking 3 and making him an Ork or Dwarf. Dwarf would have some synergy with the character, but would make him more dependent on having Gecko Crawl active due to the reduced Running multiplier (since the character's primary schtick is to close to melee and bayonet things); for an Ork you'd have to switch BAP:Willpower over to Charisma just to stay eligible for Seductress totem, though I guess you could pull three points out of Body and then Exceptional Attribute+additional point Willpower to keep that at 7. The hit to Int really hurts, though. Anyway, that leaves Priority C for Resources, being 90k¥, which I'm pretty sure isn't enough for all his gear (I haven't reverse-engineered everything, but a quick ballpark makes it look like I spent 15 BP on Resources, yielding ¥200,000—a Resources level not available in Priority).

So yeah.

~J
tisoz
Conjuring initiate with Nature spirits and invoking.
Glyph
While Priority is not as flexible as point-build, it usually gives you more points to play with than the suggested 120. For example, a dwarven sorcerer with Resources: A, Magic: B, Attributes: C, Race: D, and Skills: E would cost 135 build points. However, a lot of GMs will use more than 120 build points. When you are getting over the 125-point mark, it is often worth a slight reduction in absolute build points to take advantage of how the point system lets you really custom-craft your character.
Mercer
Most powerful character in our SR2 game (so this is going back awhile) started out as a Combat Mage archetype, who due to some bad luck and some bad rolls took two Deadly wounds in his first session and lost Magic on both. So he started at 5 and ended up at 3. He was going to retire the character-- it was only an archetype after all-- but I persuaded him to take the Wired 2 we got out of one of the sams we had killed. So he was a fast, crappy mage... until he Initiated. And then it got pretty sick. He eventually replaced the Wired 2 with quickened spells, but that just freed up Essence for more toys, and once he got Masking he was pretty good at impersonating low level street sams.

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily build a character that way (although the SR1 Burned Out Mage started with a 1 Ess), but it turned out pretty good for the guy in my group. He had some rough runs in there, including one prior to Initiation where he lost his power focus that was his Geas requirement and had to finish the run without casting any spells (although he would helpfully point to people and tell the other mage in the group, "Phyllis, blow that guy up!")
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012