Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon Cards
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Can some one give a better description of these things they the web site does?
KnightAries
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Aug 19 2012, 05:57 PM) *

I don't have any but from my understanding is the cards are supposed to be an summery of the books.
EKBT81
If I read the website right, those are basically cards with gear stats that you can file with your character sheet or, as the GM, hand out during play?
Thanee
That sounds pretty useless... esp. since you typically add mods and such to weapons. Probably just a collector's item. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
EKBT81
Since these are listed by CGL as convention-only, I'm also inclined to consider them more of a collector's item.

Back in the 90s the publisher of the biggest German fantasy RPG did something similar: A box set with equipment cards like this and special folders for the cards. I believe that box was one of the biggest flops in the game line's history. Not very many people bought it in the first place, and those that did predictably complained about not enough different items, not enough copies of standard items, the pictures used on the cards etc...
Mäx
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Aug 20 2012, 04:57 AM) *

Their cards that have a picture of the gun and the stats for that gun, whats unclear about that description?
Sad it's only a standart deck sized, 52 is so few of the games guns, when Gunhaven 2 alone has 50 guns in it.
Thanos007
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 20 2012, 04:12 AM) *
Their cards that have a picture of the gun and the stats for that gun, whats unclear about that description?
Sad it's only a standart deck sized, 52 is so few of the games guns, when Gunhaven 2 alone has 50 guns in it.

That's the point of my question. As described they seem pointless. I was hoping some one had them and could tell me if there was more to it than that. Guess not.
Sengir
The concept sounds nice for quick games at conventions, especially demos. But for 10 bucks?
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 20 2012, 04:12 AM) *

I looked at the weapon cards at Gencon last week.

The only good thing about the cards over a (free) index card with a handwritten stat line is the picture, and several of the weapon pics were simply wrong. Including the iconic Ares Alpha Combatgun.

It's like a D&D accessory mixing up pics of a rogue and a barbarian...
Bigity
Hahahahahaha. Figures.
CanRay
They're handy to have for an instant visual representation of the item in question. Be it firearm or vehicle/drone (The other deck).

From my understanding, this was a test to see how they'd sell, and how to improve the next set.

My group is going to benefit from them quite well, as I've often been asked what pic is which drone... And have one player that keeps thinking his Colt Manhunter is a Peacemaker. (Canadians.).

For a prototype/test, they seemed pretty successful, and were very handy for the newer players I ran "Burn" for.

Yeah, the Ares Alpha was the wrong pic indeed. Oh well...
Bigity
Well, it's not my bag, but I don't really have worries that CGL is going to go all WFRP 3rd edition on us with the bits.
CanRay
I'm going to experiment with them some more with my group, and see if I can make suggestions about the next set if they decide to continue with them.

They sold out here at GenCon (Not giving any secrets there, lots of folks were asking where they were after the supply went bye-bye), so I'm guessing we'll see more of these.

Oh, I think I saw what happened with the Ares Alpha, BTW. It looks like they used the pic that was in SR4A, none of which look like they should, if you ask me. But, hey, I'm a Canuck Civvie Puke, what do I know of firearms?
KnightAries
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 20 2012, 07:41 AM) *
I'm going to experiment with them some more with my group, and see if I can make suggestions about the next set if they decide to continue with them.

They sold out here at GenCon (Not giving any secrets there, lots of folks were asking where they were after the supply went bye-bye), so I'm guessing we'll see more of these.

Oh, I think I saw what happened with the Ares Alpha, BTW. It looks like they used the pic that was in SR4A, none of which look like they should, if you ask me. But, hey, I'm a Canuck Civvie Puke, what do I know of firearms?

The pic for the Ares Alpha in SR4 was the same pic as in the 1st/2nd ed book Fields of Fire. Why was it changed in SR4A? Yuck!!! Talking about a loss of cannon.
Mäx
QUOTE (KnightAries @ Aug 20 2012, 06:28 PM) *
The pic for the Ares Alpha in SR4 was the same pic as in the 1st/2nd ed book Fields of Fire. Why was it changed in SR4A? Yuck!!! Talking about a loss of cannon.

Yeah somebody seriously dropped the ball on the art selection for the whole gear chapter of SR4A.
Thats so damm simple job, that i cant for the life of me figure out how someone could fuck it up, but they did. frown.gif
NorthernWolf
Yeah I picked up a pack of each at the Con. They are nice, simple add-ins to the game, and the fact that con had so little to buy I was interested in, it was an easy purchase. I definitely enjoyed the pictures of the drones, which is sometimes hard to find.
CanRay
QUOTE (NorthernWolf @ Aug 20 2012, 12:53 PM) *
Yeah I picked up a pack of each at the Con. They are nice, simple add-ins to the game, and the fact that con had so little to buy I was interested in, it was an easy purchase. I definitely enjoyed the pictures of the drones, which is sometimes hard to find.
The drone pics are going to come in very handy for me. Again, my group has issues with things...

Cars, firearms... Anything else that I seem to really love it feels at times...
KnightAries
Now only if there was some place we could go to see pics of all the gear available.
Vagabond Elf
I looked at them but decided they weren't worth it. I mostly wanted them for the pictures, and many of the pics weren't very good. They also had a lot of old weapons - is an M-16 or a TMP really still going to be in common enough use in 2072 that it's worth including in this pack? The kicker for me, though, was that the M-16 they depicted was a 'Nam-era version with the triangular heat sheild and the "bent" 30-round mag (that never really worked properly, which is why all the combat tropps were using the 20-round mags.) I mean, they could at least have gotten a modern M-16 with all the rails and do-hickies!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Aug 20 2012, 05:01 AM) *
Since these are listed by CGL as convention-only, I'm also inclined to consider them more of a collector's item.

Back in the 90s the publisher of the biggest German fantasy RPG did something similar: A box set with equipment cards like this and special folders for the cards. I believe that box was one of the biggest flops in the game line's history. Not very many people bought it in the first place, and those that did predictably complained about not enough different items, not enough copies of standard items, the pictures used on the cards etc...

Just a few years ago someone was selling D&D 3.5 equivalents of this, magic items, weapons, and other gear, only printed on metal cards with reinforced edges.

Yeah, they didn't sell too well.

-k
CanRay
Exotic Ranged Weapon Proficiency: D&D 3.5 Item Cards
Dreadlord
In my game, I have been using my own cards created in Excel and Paint, with art stolen from the sourcebooks or, failing that, the interwebz. I use card sleeves with those freebie cardboard "sample credit cards" as stiffener behind the color printed paper. Worked quite well, and can be modified by the player as needed. I made spell cards, weapon cards, armor cards, program cards, vehicle cards. Once the soft version is made, they can be reused infinitely. It really helps speed up gameplay, especially in the Matrix for the hacker.
Halinn
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 23 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Just a few years ago someone was selling D&D 3.5 equivalents of this, magic items, weapons, and other gear, only printed on metal cards with reinforced edges.

Yeah, they didn't sell too well.

Good stuff for throwing adepts, though nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Aug 22 2012, 11:27 PM) *
In my game, I have been using my own cards created in Excel and Paint, with art stolen from the sourcebooks or, failing that, the interwebz. I use card sleeves with those freebie cardboard "sample credit cards" as stiffener behind the color printed paper. Worked quite well, and can be modified by the player as needed. I made spell cards, weapon cards, armor cards, program cards, vehicle cards. Once the soft version is made, they can be reused infinitely. It really helps speed up gameplay, especially in the Matrix for the hacker.

Would you be inclined to share?
KnightAries
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Aug 22 2012, 10:27 PM) *

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 23 2012, 05:10 AM) *

Ditto..
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Aug 23 2012, 02:27 AM) *

Why do these speed up game play?
Halinn
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 23 2012, 03:16 PM) *
Why do these speed up game play?

Simpler to find the appropriate card than look it up in the book.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Halinn @ Aug 23 2012, 09:42 AM) *
Simpler to find the appropriate card than look it up in the book.

Wouldn't these values already be recorded on your character sheet, or the GM have them prepared ahead of time?
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 23 2012, 08:54 AM) *
Wouldn't these values already be recorded on your character sheet, or the GM have them prepared ahead of time?
Depends. Sheets tend to not have enough room for all the details, while you can cram a bunch of info in small, but readable, text on the card.

And not every GM is able to put in the time to have the stats for every piece of equipment, spell, program, and ability that every member of the group has, as well as the NPCs of the night.

Another advantage of the cards is, if you have a scanner, you can make sheets of what the player has and print them out if they don't mind the "Character Binder".

Hell, one of the players in my first group (back when I could PLAY RPGs) had a character FOLDER, it no longer fit in the binder he had. He was working on character BINDERS when we finally started to move away.
The Canterbury Tail
I must say these were something I wanted to get my hands on even if I don't use them, but couldn't get to Gen Con. Collectors fever and all that.
Dreadlord
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 23 2012, 09:10 AM) *

I don't have them handy at the moment, nor do I know of a good place to share. Any ideas?

It is a very sizable Excel workbook with all the artwork, so attaching to an email is out. I have been considering splitting the individual sheets into separate workbooks, as it is getting unwieldy on my aging laptop.

Keep in mind these items are sometimes modified for my game, and not straight out of the book for every single item.
Arikail
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Aug 27 2012, 12:06 AM) *
I don't have them handy at the moment, nor do I know of a good place to share. Any ideas?

I would personally recommend uploading to Googledocs, and then making sure they're shared, and posting links here. That's what I do when I want to share similar things.
Dreadlord
QUOTE (Arikail @ Aug 27 2012, 02:15 AM) *
I would personally recommend uploading to Googledocs, and then making sure they're shared, and posting links here. That's what I do when I want to share similar things.

Duh. Missed the obvious there... embarrassed.gif

Already using it for my players and the house rules docs!!

When I get a chance later today, I will post a link to the workbooks on GoogleDocs in this thread.

I am pretty sure I originally got the Excel template from Aaron Pavao's site, but it is possible I stole it from elsewhere. I know the Program cards came from there, though.
Dreadlord
I have put the link to the cards in my sig. The spell cards are a blank template, as my mage player made his own cards, which I don't seem to have a soft copy of. He did a really good job, but of course he only made the spells his character has.

I also included the art I had collected to use as needed, but I only made up cards as needed for my campaign in the sheet.

There is also some other stuff there like a Spirit creator on the fly, and a dice roller sheet (which saves a GM a LOT of headache!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012