Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Dice Pools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wolfx
Sorry if this has been covered or if I am just being very dense. If anyone can point me towards the answer or provide one I would greatly appreciate it.

I have just recently got back into Shadowrun 4th edition and now I am running the game. My question is about dice pools when using programs/complex forms.

Is the formula Attribute + Relevant Skill Rank + Program/Complex Form Rating vs. Target number? Or is it Just Relevant Skill Rank + Program/Complex Form Rating vs. Target number?

Also, where do I find the dice pool cap rules in the Anniversary edition?

Any suggestions for running the Wireless world well is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aric
Critias
Skill + Program (or Resonance + Complex Form, for Technomancers) is the base pool for most Matrix stuff, yes. Attributes don't play into it very heavily and directly.
Wolfx
Thank you very much for that explanation.

Aric
Raiden
I have played with people who say its your att + program with skill being the cap on hits, and I have seen people who say its rank + att with program being the max hits. but meh I don't know much about.
DMiller
Raiden,
Those are both comon house rules, but RAW is Skill + Program. Using RAW you really don't need to spend points on INT, LOG or CHA, WIL is still useful for dumpshock, but otherwise you could dump that stat too.

-D
Makki
QUOTE (Wolfx @ Aug 24 2012, 04:38 AM) *
Also, where do I find the dice pool cap rules in the Anniversary edition?

there are no caps. but p.61 has an optional rule.

Optionally, gamemasters may choose to cap dice pools (including
modifiers) at 20 dice, or at twice the sum of the character’s natural
Attribute + Skill ratings, whichever is higher.

I don't like it. If I wanted a very demanding table, I'd cap at skill times four. But that's just my opinion.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 23 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Skill + Program (or Resonance + Complex Form, for Technomancers) is the base pool for most Matrix stuff, yes. Attributes don't play into it very heavily and directly.

there is also the often used optional Rule from unwired:
Skill & Attribute (LOG) successes are capped by Prog Level

hokaHey
Medicineman
phlapjack77
I've seen some house rules on DS about this that look interesting...something like using opposing Program Ratings as sort of a "reach" value, so if you have Attack 5 and the defender has Armor 3 or whatever, you get +2 dp to attack in cybercombat...

I think Tymeaus talked about using a houserule like this, can't find the thread atm...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DMiller @ Aug 23 2012, 10:24 PM) *
Raiden,
Those are both comon house rules, but RAW is Skill + Program. Using RAW you really don't need to spend points on INT, LOG or CHA, WIL is still useful for dumpshock, but otherwise you could dump that stat too.

-D

One of those is actually a House Rule (Att + Program Capped by Skill), but the other (Attribute + Skill Capped by Program) is an Optional Rule presented in the game. The other Optional Rule is Skill + Program, Capped by Logic (Attribute). smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Aug 24 2012, 03:02 AM) *
I've seen some house rules on DS about this that look interesting...something like using opposing Program Ratings as sort of a "reach" value, so if you have Attack 5 and the defender has Armor 3 or whatever, you get +2 dp to attack in cybercombat...

I think Tymeaus talked about using a houserule like this, can't find the thread atm...

We do inded use this. Program Ratings are compared, and the higher side gets bonus dice equal to the difference. Rolls are Attribute + SKill. This actually works out pretty nicely. smile.gif
Xenefungus
Pff, the dicepool cap.

Actually, 20 is where those pools start wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Aug 24 2012, 08:17 AM) *
Pff, the dicepool cap.

*Shakes Head*
_Pax._
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 24 2012, 08:00 AM) *
One of those is actually a House Rule (Att + Program Capped by Skill), but the other (Attribute + Skill Capped by Program) is an Optional Rule presented in the game. The other Optional Rule is Skill + Program, Capped by Logic (Attribute). smile.gif

... and for Technomancers, "capped by their Fading attribute" is an extension of that last rule.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Aug 24 2012, 09:17 AM) *
Pff, the dicepool cap.

True powergamers don't let something as trivial as a dice pool cap stop them. smile.gif

<rolls with a dice pools of 21+, including a 26, in a campaign that uses the cap rules>

-k
Xenefungus
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 24 2012, 04:53 AM) *

Actually, its Skill+CF for Technos.
Critias
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Aug 24 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Actually, its Skill+CF for Technos.

That's what I get for trying to post from my phone. smile.gif I'm so worried about thumb-tapping out some basic info, I don't pay attention to what I'm saying. Good catch, and sorry!
Wolfx
Thanks again to all of you for the information. Now I have some thinking to do. Do I want to go RAW or with one of the very nice looking house rules.

Aric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012