Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
My group's rigger has an Ares fetish. Every gun, drone, vehicle, piece of software, slab of vehicle armour, anything she buy she gets from Ares.
My character (the face/gunslinger), on the other hand, is a child of the z-zones. Her guns tend to be either tooled in the barrens (often by her) or otherwise modded beyond anything that the corp that made it could possibly have intended (with the exception of her sports rifle. It's too large to hide in her purse, so she has it licensed and has kept it as close to stock as possible).

Anyway, the two characters are now bunking together and I forsee a friendly argument or two occurring in the near future on the subject of Ares vrs (pretty much any non-Ares guns, but specifically street guns). This is great, and will undoubtedly lead to some awesome moments of roleplay, but it got me wondering:
Which guns are 'street' guns?
I've compiled a shortlist of weapons which seem to either be entirely street weapons, or else simple enough to make that street knockoffs would be almost as common as the real deal:
Hold outs:
1) The streetline special. Bit of a no brainer.
Light pistols:
2) The barrens special (Gun haven two). Again, this one couldn't really not end up on the list.
3) Colt America L36. A brand name weapon, but with no special electronics and light price tag implying ease of construction it makes sense that knock-offs are quite common.
Heavy pistols:
4) Colt M1991 (Gun haven). High end knockoffs are mentioned in the shadow talk about the gun, and the simple fact that it's a purely mechanical design make it a good contender as a street weapon.
5) Onotari arms Steadfast. Another purely mechanical heavy pistol, this one designed with the reinforcement needed for use as a club in a pinch. If I was making street knock-offs, this would be on my list of products.
Machine pistols:
6) B&P MP9. A design that theoretically finished formal production in 2014, but has the lowest availability of any machine pistol out there? If they're not being made on the streets, then these are the most common functional antiques in recorded history!
7) FN 5-7C. Ease of maintenance often implies simplified design, which in turn makes it easier for the streets to build their own.
SMGs:
cool.gif AK-97 Carbine. As with all AK weapons, street production is almost a certainty.
9) HK MP5-TX. If it's popular on the streets, odds on there's someone trying to cut into the market with knockoffs.
10) Ingram Warrior 10. Low maintenance and easy to modify imply relatively simple construction. Combined with its popularity, and it's easy to see this being a common street knock-off.
11) MAC-10 (Gun Haven). Pretty self explanatory.
12) Sandler TMP. If ever a weapon was destined to be churned out of street shops, it was this one. Cheap and simple.
13) Type 84B (Gun haven 2). A knock-off of the original HK-5K, this is another gun which was made for the streets.
14) Uzi IV. A bullet hose, pure and simple, I envision street shops turning these out by the dozen.

That's all for tonight, folks. if anyone wants to add to the street gun index (or finish it off for me) go right ahead. My rule of thumb is: if it's among the cheapest weapons in its category and has low availability to boot, then odds on it's being made out on the streets. the other rule of thumb: If it has a smartlink or other similarly complex electronics as standard, then it's probably not widely produced at street level and thus doesn't go on the list. I'm sure that if you look hard enough you can find a street knockoff of pretty much anything, but this is supposed to be more along the lines of street 'mass production', so to speak.

PS: Now that I have the rigger as a room-mate I suspect I'll find out if Ares have their own brand of toilet paper. I really, really hope not nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
You forgot the Colt Asp. Nothing like a .38 Saturday Night Special!
BishopMcQ
Don't forget the Street Sweeper shotgun--just scoop some rubble and pull the trigger.
Glyph
I would add the Remington Roomsweeper and Defiance T-250 (sawed-off) to the list. Sawed-off shotguns are very much street guns.

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 3 2012, 07:26 AM) *
PS: Now that I have the rigger as a room-mate I suspect I'll find out if Ares have their own brand of toilet paper. I really, really hope not nyahnyah.gif

Ares Dura-wipes with micro-bristles and our patented lube-blend micro-beads. It won't just clean your ass, it will polish it to a glossy sheen!
Critias
What guns are on the streets? Whatever's got the lowest availability score, period. wink.gif
Jizmack
How about "junk guns", which are pre-2012 firearms?
They're not smart-link capable, use out-moded ammo, and have no surviving records to trace.
They would be very cheap and could be purchased in crates of random assortments.
Very fun to toy with and would basically be throw-away guns.
These are still used in quantity in places like Legos.

Fatum
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 3 2012, 09:59 PM) *
What guns are on the streets? Whatever's got the lowest availability score, period. wink.gif
This. Availability is for everyone.
Sid Nitzerglobin
QUOTE (Jizmack @ Sep 3 2012, 02:28 PM) *
How about "junk guns", which are pre-2012 firearms?
They're not smart-link capable, use out-moded ammo, and have no surviving records to trace.
They would be very cheap and could be purchased in crates of random assortments.
Very fun to toy with and would basically be throw-away guns.
These are still used in quantity in places like Legos.

My general impression of actual genuine article/non-knock off antiques is that if they're still in reliably serviceable condition they're probably worth at least several times their list price on the collector market and are probably not very readily available. Knock offs are a totally different story though.
Manunancy
You can probably get a lot of 2040-50 intage assault riffles and SMGs - whatever has been equiping national guard units and second-to-third tier nations, then end up on the market (wether wholesale or by small packets). No electronics to speak of - by that time smartguns neneded a wired soldier - and probably still in working order depsite years of abuse - a gun designed to be soldier-proof, especially when said soldier is expected to be a barely leitterate conscript cn take a lot of neglect and keep going.

Simalar to the various AKs which are the current fashion amongt drug dealers in southern France.
CanRay
Eurowar Antiques (Runner's Black Book 2074) will have a lot of items you guys will love. It was on sale at GenCon, and should be hitting places soon. smile.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2012, 06:21 PM) *
Eurowar Antiques (Runner's Black Book 2074) will have a lot of items you guys will love. It was on sale at GenCon, and should be hitting places soon. smile.gif

The fact that it's still isn't out as PDF is quite ridiculous, considering that it was ready for a print a long time before GenCon.
Thanee
Ares Predator - best of both worlds! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2012, 10:21 AM) *
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 5 2012, 06:22 AM) *
The fact that it's still isn't out as PDF is quite ridiculous, considering that it was ready for a print a long time before GenCon.
Not my department, I just write. I think it might be a bad time for PDFs to come out during or just after GenCon, however.

But that is a WAG.
Mäx
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 5 2012, 06:05 PM) *
Not my department, I just write. I think it might be a bad time for PDFs to come out during or just after GenCon, however.

Just a general statement not really aimed at you.
But the PDF of the Antigues must have been ready quite sometime before GenCon as they had time to print out copies of blackbook for GenCon, as that doesn't exactly happen overnight.
Fatum
CGL
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 5 2012, 01:06 PM) *
Just a general statement not really aimed at you.
But the PDF of the Antigues must have been ready quite sometime before GenCon as they had time to print out copies of blackbook for GenCon, as that doesn't exactly happen overnight.

May have been deliberate, to lessen impact on retail sales?

-k
KarmaInferno
Geh, multi-post

-k
Midas
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 3 2012, 06:59 PM) *

I would disagree, but then my vision of the gameworld is that the streets are awash with guns. Gangers will have a mix'n'match assortment of weapons, from heavy pistols to SMGs to shotguns and AK-97's, with even the odd assault rifle/sniper rifle on show at the gang HQ. Random bystanders might also have a few good weapons, or they could just have a Streetline Special, Raecor Sting or taser.

Depends on the NPC as to what they are carrying, but I think even within a given archetype there will be quite a possible variety of what they're packing ...
CanRay
"How the hell did they get Ares Alphas?" "Those aren't Ares Alphas, they're Marrz Omegaz, a Hong Kong knock-off with a shotgun instead of a grenade launcher." "Oh, that's so much better." "It is. They jam all the time."
The Jopp
We seem to forget the most basic of weapons.

Custom Made:
-Slingshots
-Crossbows
-Harpoon Guns
-Bows

This is most likely more common weapons amongst homeless communities where food is more important than ammo and junk material to make guns with is more common.

Sure, no fancy smartlink or targeting laser but all you need is flexible wood or composites and a piece of strong string and a projectile.

Then we add all the nasty CHEAP stuff they can add.
-Street drug dipped arrowheads
-Waste water dipped arrowheads
-Ghoul dipped arrowheads

And the more deranged stuff

Netted Devilrats
A bunch of devilrats are captured and put into nets and prodded for awhile or given food laced with combat drugs. They are then thrown in the direction of the enemy. Upon release they will (most likely) charge the nearest threat and thus keep them occupied.

FuelDrop
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Sep 10 2012, 03:59 PM) *
Netted Devilrats
A bunch of devilrats are captured and put into nets and prodded for awhile or given food laced with combat drugs. They are then thrown in the direction of the enemy. Upon release they will (most likely) charge the nearest threat and thus keep them occupied.

I remember long ago one of our wilder pink-mohawk plans involved air-dropping pheromones from on-heat devil rat females on an enemy gang stronghold. It never panned out due to technical reasons (it was decided that rounding up enough on-heat female devil rats would be more work than just attacking the place) but I always wondered how it would have gone if we'd managed to pull it off.
The Jopp
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 10 2012, 08:38 AM) *
I remember long ago one of our wilder pink-mohawk plans involved air-dropping pheromones from on-heat devil rat females on an enemy gang stronghold. It never panned out due to technical reasons (it was decided that rounding up enough on-heat female devil rats would be more work than just attacking the place) but I always wondered how it would have gone if we'd managed to pull it off.

I think a good chemistry and animal handling skill should solve this better.

Synthesize the pheromone after finding ONE rat - not to mention that there should be extensive studies on devilrats and perhaps even synthesized pheromones already (for use in pesticide traps).

-Crop dusting sprayer drone over the compound
-Tagging individuals with capsule rounds
-Splash Grenades in grenade launchers

...funnilly enough this works well with the Ghoul puree crop dust sprayer for my apocalypse plan games...

Ghoul infestation and horny devilrat males in downtown...O_o!
Critias
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Sep 10 2012, 02:59 AM) *
We seem to forget the most basic of weapons.

Custom Made:
-Slingshots
-Crossbows
-Harpoon Guns
-Bows

This is most likely more common weapons amongst homeless communities where food is more important than ammo and junk material to make guns with is more common.

Sure, no fancy smartlink or targeting laser but all you need is flexible wood or composites and a piece of strong string and a projectile.

While I can certainly see that sort of thing cropping up (and being awesome) in some cool Luddite neo-primitive Z-zone sort of area from time to time (particularly given Shadowrun's traditional love for all things tribal, traditional, and close-combat)...and, heck, I obviously like the mental image okay because both Land of Promise and Elven Blood have stats for a neo-tribal gang that primarily uses bows...

I don't think they're going to be the default in many Barrens communities. I don't think we see a ton of crossbows and harpoons in many real life high-crime low-income areas, do we? So I can see some guys using 'em, sure. Especially guys who are big and strong enough to have a high (often terribly high) base damage value with 'em, getting more bang for their buck with muscle-powered than modern weaponry. I just don't see it being terribly prevalent, given the spread of technology and easy access to point-and-click gunpowder murder machines.
CanRay
"Why Brumby have arrow in chest?" "Yeah, Neo-Primitives of the Barrens, they got some bows, spears, and other nasty types." "OW! Why Brumby have piece of REBAR in chest?" "Trollbow." "Brumby liked it better when was only troll around."
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 10 2012, 12:19 PM) *
"Why Brumby have arrow in chest?" "Yeah, Neo-Primitives of the Barrens, they got some bows, spears, and other nasty types." "OW! Why Brumby have piece of REBAR in chest?" "Trollbow." "Brumby liked it better when was only troll around."

Heheheheheeheeeh.

Oh, my players don't know what they're in for if they go to Vancouver...

Mweheheheheheheheh.
Halinn
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 11 2012, 12:20 AM) *
Heheheheheeheeeh.

Oh, my players don't know what they're in for if they go to Vancouver...

Mweheheheheheheheh.

I do read Dumpshock, you know...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Halinn @ Sep 10 2012, 06:39 PM) *
I do read Dumpshock, you know...

That one was intentional. It was called "Foreshadowing."

Or a "red herring."

Take your pick. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 10 2012, 04:45 PM) *
That one was intentional. It was called "Foreshadowing."

Or a "red herring."

Take your pick. smile.gif

Red-Shadowing?
The Jopp
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 10 2012, 06:19 PM) *

The good thing about Crossbows, slingshots and other muscle/piston propelled weapons is that they are SILENT...but deadly...

Not to self: Troll slingshot with Hand grenades as bullets...
Fatum
Actually, if you've seen bows or crossbows fired in RL, they're not all that SILENT. Not a firearm discharge sound, of course, but still.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 11 2012, 10:46 AM) *
Actually, if you've seen bows or crossbows fired in RL, they're not all that SILENT. Not a firearm discharge sound, of course, but still.

Now you're bringing in LOGIC into the game again - but yes, i understand what you mean.

It's like Shotgun Silencers - they are SILENT...at 100+ decibels...
CanRay
There's a reason their names are "Sound Suppressors" rather than "Silencers". But it's the same way that "Magazines" are "Clips".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012