QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 6 2012, 05:44 PM) *
No discount, unfortunately.

Woot
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 6 2012, 04:44 PM) *
No discount, unfortunately.

FINALLY!
LurkerOutThere
This game is definitely in my "Shut up and take my money" file. Glad they finally put the steam pre-order up. The second this one becomes available to play i'm going to be there already pre-downloaded.
CanRay
*Sighs* I want it out now. Sleeping Dogs didn't last near long enough for me!
Wounded Ronin
Whoops, looks like it requires Windows Vista or 7! No love for XP...
Bigity
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 7 2012, 09:06 PM) *
Whoops, looks like it requires Windows Vista or 7! No love for XP...

I hear ya. But also, XP is like what nearing 10 years old? smile.gif Heh.

I just upgrading my PC though, I don't have the hardware for 64 bit so didn't make much sense to upgrade for a long time.
Halinn
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 8 2012, 02:21 PM) *

11 years this October.
CanRay
I've seen some of the in-game footage from E3 and other shows recently, and have to say that I'm really excited. Saw how the jetpacks and grappling hooks work, and my eyes went wide as I wish I had those gadgets when I was originally playing the game!

Snipers taking stairs just got old skool!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 8 2012, 07:21 AM) *

I just upgrading my PC though, I don't have the hardware for 64 bit so didn't make much sense to upgrade for a long time.

Wow. Hard to believe that back in 2006 I was losing sleep over the EVILLE CAPITALIST PLOT OF WINDOWS VISTA. It seems so unimportant now, and yet it feels like that was only yesterday. Life passes by so quickly.

Sometimes I think that I largely missed out on the best times to be alive in terms of gaming, social relations with friends, and creativity, which would be the 70s through the 80s. The Backstreet Boys were the horsemen of the apocalypse ushering in the slow, soul-destroying beginning of the end in the 90s.

I begin to experience mental overload when I contemplate how awesome it would be to play a game of 1st edition D&D Oriental Adventures while reading a black-and-white pro wrestling magazine while wearing large glasses with a group of friends you know in the flesh while drinking watery coffee because you were all up all night last night finishing up some ridiculous drawn-out game of Kingmaker.

What's really poignant is when you think about what all that has been replaced by...DRM and the corporate arrogance it symbolizes, online multiplayer complete with whiners, 12 year olds, and boy-men who are worse than the 12 year olds, and games that, in contrast to the mentally exhausing 70s table top variety, are the mental equivalent of extra-sugary soda. Well, that and the fact that at the same time our society seems to be imploding...but that's a story for a different forum.
CanRay
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 8 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Wow. Hard to believe that back in 2006 I was losing sleep over the EVILLE CAPITALIST PLOT OF WINDOWS VISTA.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Dont' DO that to me! I had to be the Vista Tech at my workplace when it came out!
Bigity
You could have been supporting WinME.

Luckily everywhere I worked skipped Vista.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 8 2012, 11:29 AM) *
That was my previous job. Wireless networking, using USB Dongles.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 8 2012, 06:29 PM) *

Luckily everywhere I worked skipped Vista.

I think it's par for the course, forcing the lazy jackasses at my work to upgrade to Win7 required a miracle (and a little hint that installing WinXP on a box that was bought with a Win7 sticker on the side wasn't probably legal).
Thanee
C'mon, Vista wasn't that bad. A little unfinished, but it did run fine. My Vista machine was alright, even though I prefer the newer Windows 7 one. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
LurkerOutThere
And steam hit the threshhold for the elite solider pack, although the Firaxis guys had already said that even if by some wierd horrible occurance they hadn't they'd make the elite soldier pack available on steam.

I don't play TF2 much anymore but I wouldn't mind the items. I already have a copy of civ 5.
CanRay
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 8 2012, 08:14 PM) *
C'mon, Vista wasn't that bad.

Bye
Thanee
Yes, yes it was.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 8 2012, 10:02 AM) *
That was my previous job. Wireless networking, using USB Dongles.

Heh, you said dongles.
taeksosin
This game makes me excited.

That is all.
Bigity
Excited in the dongles?
LurkerOutThere
This games release date has literally become a life milestone for me, so much to get done before it swallows me up.
Bigity
Ugh, the other game (besides SR:O and SR:R) I was waiting on, BG1EE, has been pushed back a month. That better not happen to XCOM
CanRay
Come on, XCOM, Daddy needs a new distraction!
Bigity
I'm so desperate I loaded up Alpha Protocol again. Which isn't that bad I guess.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 14 2012, 06:16 PM) *
I'm so desperate I loaded up Alpha Protocol again. Which isn't that bad I guess.

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol.
Bigity
Yea it's not terrible. Now that most of the bugs are fixed on the Steam version, it's not bad at all.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 14 2012, 07:11 PM) *
Yea it's not terrible. Now that most of the bugs are fixed on the Steam version, it's not bad at all.

I have a 360 copy so I have no idea what they would've fixed.
Bastard
Enemy Unknown? That was the title of the original (though it also had copies that were titled UFO Defense).

Is this a remake of the original turn-based-strategy game that was one of the best games of all time, or is this that first-person-shooter horseshit?
CanRay
QUOTE (Bastard @ Sep 23 2012, 11:33 AM) *
Is this a remake of the original turn-based-strategy game that was one of the best games of all time, or is this that first-person-shooter horseshit?
Turn-based.

The FPS has been pushed back to next year, and looks more and more like vaporware.
Bigity
The one we are talking about (and everyone is excited about) is the remake of the turn-based game, which is still a turn based game. The FPS is a separate game, and quite frankly, they can keep it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/...ds-oct-9#latest
CanRay
I wish there was still rental places in Canada. I'd want to at least check out the FPS before I decry it so badly. From what I've seen, yeah, I'm not happy.

But it could surprise me, and I do try and give things the benefit of a doubt and an attempt before I call it crap.
Bastard
Awesome! My wife is going to be so unsatisfied for the rest of 2012.

Thanks for the link, Bigity.

Can you use gamefly, CanRay? I think Blockbuster has mail rentals like Netflix now, and you can rent games through them as well.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 8 2012, 09:43 AM) *
I begin to experience mental overload when I contemplate how awesome it would be to play a game of 1st edition D&D Oriental Adventures while reading a black-and-white pro wrestling magazine while wearing large glasses with a group of friends you know in the flesh while drinking watery coffee because you were all up all night last night finishing up some ridiculous drawn-out game of Kingmaker.

To be fair, most of that is still possible if you want it to be. wink.gif

It's been 3 days since I stayed up until 11:00 playing a game of Eminent Domain, which I think is 10x the game Kingmaker is (and I do own it) then went home to spend a couple hours having a blast in Borderlands 2 with 3 of my friends that I wouldn't have known but for the internet, then finished the night by putting the finishing touches on a PC for an online game of D20 Modern that I wouldn't get to play without finding similarly minded players online....

CanRay
QUOTE (Bastard @ Sep 23 2012, 02:01 PM) *
Can you use gamefly, CanRay? I think Blockbuster has mail rentals like Netflix now, and you can rent games through them as well.
I can't afford the monthly fee that the Canadian version uses. frown.gif Especially with how little I'll be using it.
Bigity
The demo for this is out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/200510/
X-Kalibur
I'm sort of excited for the multiplayer. It looks like how WH40K should be done in a computer game setting.
CanRay
Well, there goes my productivity for the day.
Bigity
Very cool demo, but also pretty short. Oh well, I didn't expect a really long one (wanted maybe, but not expected).

I think I like the smaller squad sizes too. I always named my guys so I'd have some kind of attachment, but at like 10 soldiers a mission or so they start to become faceless mooks anyway.

I really like the move system, and the action shots are pretty cool. When the scripted first mission had a 75 percent casualty rate, I was like, heck yea! - and then the 2nd demo mission was pretty easy - so I'm not sure this game will have the high death rates I expect from XCOM, but really hard to tell from such scripted missions.

I can see this game being an absolute blast in MP too.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 24 2012, 01:13 PM) *
Very cool demo, but also pretty short. Oh well, I didn't expect a really long one (wanted maybe, but not expected).

I think I like the smaller squad sizes too. I always named my guys so I'd have some kind of attachment, but at like 10 soldiers a mission or so they start to become faceless mooks anyway.

I really like the move system, and the action shots are pretty cool. When the scripted first mission had a 75 percent casualty rate, I was like, heck yea! - and then the 2nd demo mission was pretty easy - so I'm not sure this game will have the high death rates I expect from XCOM, but really hard to tell from such scripted missions.

I can see this game being an absolute blast in MP too.

They have difficulty settings and an iron man mode. Don't worry, you can get those death rates as high as you like.

(unless the difficulty is like Apoc - higher difficulties merely changed the city layout and how much money you start with and earn monthly, combat was unaffected (but also a fair difficulty, I felt))
Bigity
Ah, didn't notice that, but I'm at work and didn't want to spend *too* much time on it biggrin.gif

I also don't like how much shooting through stuff or like sideways seems to happen. Hoping it's just something left to iron out.

Like I can lean around a corner to shoot at something, and I guess since I rolled a hit, my bullets kinda curve around despite the angle. I mean, bullets through glass is one thing, or removing the wall with enough bullets, but it seems a hit roll gives you a hit despite anything in the way.
CanRay
I like that there's a tutorial, as that was desperately needed in the original X-Com. And would have made the smaller Squad Size a big problem if it didn't have one here. Yes yes, I usually scream at people to RTFM, but they're getting to be less and less prevalent to games now. More's the pity, they had great Feelies in them often.

But yeah, I'm liking what I see. The Floaters look BAD ASS now! And the Thin Men are just... Yeah... LMG FTW against those freaky bastards!!!
lorechaser
DEMO! WOO!

Now I have Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and Xcom 2 (sorta?) on top of Guild Wars 2 and Secret World.

I need to quit my job.

My biggest problem is that the guy I'd love to play this with is an Xbox gamer, so he's getting the Xbox version. I need to figure out if I can live with the Xbox version to play MP against him....
CanRay
"And soon it was the game turn instead of work..." - Confessions of a Civilization Addict
Tanegar
I'm not sure why a high casualty rate would be desirable. I was perfectly happy to get through Operation Sacred Thorn with no deaths and only one wounded. Well, no friendly deaths; I imagine those six aliens were pretty unhappy, though.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 24 2012, 07:41 PM) *
I'm not sure why a high casualty rate would be desirable. I was perfectly happy to get through Operation Sacred Thorn with no deaths and only one wounded. Well, no friendly deaths; I imagine those six aliens were pretty unhappy, though.
"I haff talked vith dem, und dey vere not complaining."
LurkerOutThere
I'm kinda bummed it wasn't the demo the press has been getting where they got to play the game up to a certain point in the story. Oh well.

The second mission also annoyed me, because i had this "Why would i want to put my heavy gunner on the rooftop, shouldn't that be a sniper's gig....
CanRay
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 25 2012, 04:09 AM) *
I'm kinda bummed it wasn't the demo the press has been getting where they got to play the game up to a certain point in the story. Oh well.

The second mission also annoyed me, because i had this "Why would i want to put my heavy gunner on the rooftop, shouldn't that be a sniper's gig....
Yeah, seems counter-intuitive to me as well, but then I remembered that he's the veteran of the unit, and is the least likely one to freak out when he sees Aliens in the flesh, and give a proper SitRep.

Also, Rocket Launcher beats Sniper Scope if the little buggers cluster up too close. biggrin.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Sep 24 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Now I have Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and Xcom 2 (sorta?) on top of Guild Wars 2 and Secret World.

Just a wee bit over a month for Assassin's Creed 3.

By the way... have you noticed with Borderlands 2 that Zer0 has 3 fingers and a thumb?
StealthSigma
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 25 2012, 05:09 AM) *

Heavy gunners primary role suppressive fire to keep the enemy down? Higher terrain just gives him a much better angle to rain down death and further minimize the enemy's cover! At least that's why I would do it. Haven't played the demo so I don't know how the game plays.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 25 2012, 10:45 AM) *
Just a wee bit over a month for Assassin's Creed 3.

By the way... have you noticed with Borderlands 2 that Zer0 has 3 fingers and a thumb?

I did. He's either a robot or one of the guardians from the first game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012