Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SIN Numbers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Deraj87
Is there a SIN generator out there? If not, can someone give me an idea of how to figure out a SIN?
FuelDrop
As I understand it SINs are extremely long and complicated, including tons of information encoded into them.
can I ask why you need it?
Deraj87
Wanted to get into the fake identities for my DI hacker with a lot more detail. I read that from the SIN you can determine specific information, so I figured there were at least guidelines as too how long they are, or which numbers mean what.
Deraj87
This is what it says on the shadowrun wiki, but I dont know how viable that source is...

"A generic SIN format is 12 alpha-numeric digits in three blocks of four digits."
Deraj87
This is what it says on the shadowrun wiki, but I dont know how viable that source is...

"A generic SIN format is 12 alpha-numeric digits in three blocks of four digits."
Bull
Actual SIN's have been listed in the books a few times over the years, but it's been... inconsistent. Sometimes it's just numbers, sometimes they're a combination of numbers and letters. Often they're 12 digits in groups of 4, but sometimes it's 12 in different groupings, sometimes it's more or less than 12.

(The same holds true for LTGs, BTW)

For the convention NERPS ballot cards this year, I went with 12 digits, 4 spaces, but didn't specify all numbers, so folks could use letters as well.
CanRay
As LTGs were inconsistent, I tried to explain that when I wrote the Matrix chapter in SR2050.

I didn't have anything to do with SINs, however. Aside from collect ballots at GenCon.
BobChuck
During Gencon 2012, there was an in-game ballot going around to all the Missions players. Filling it out and turning it in gave bonus dice on a single test, was neat - anyway, ballot required a SIN, and had either 16 or 20 slots (don't remember which). I *think* it's alpha-numeric, too.

Hope that helps.
Seriously Mike
A bit of RL trivia, our State Electronic System of Social Identification uses eleven numbers. First six are your birthdate in YYMMDD format, then a four-digit serial number (of which the last digit denotes gender, even number means female, odd number means male) and one-digit checksum. For people born before 1900, 80 is added to the month of birth, for people born after 1999, 20 is added to the month of birth. As for the checksum, it's some messed up calculation that made my head spin, but I'm a tad tired after punching in craploads of stupid numbers at work.
ScooterinAB
I downloaded the most fantastic app from the Android Market the other day. It's called Fake Name Generator. You can select the location and gender of a fake ID, and the app outputs everything from a SIN/SS number (fake, of course), occupation, email address and website urls, blood type, maiden name, height and weight, and more. It's such a ridiculous amount of info, but I can see loving it for making NPC's and Fake SINs in Shadowrun.

It's not a Shadowrun SIN number, but it does give some details for a fake SIN.
Deraj87
I think that a general SIN is 12 digits in groups of 4, as in a regular UCAS number. Corporate SINs(or just SINs from other countries) would probably have different formats, maybe even incorporating symbols.

That Fake Name Generator sounds awesome, too bad it isn't in the iPod app store.
Deraj87
So, having no other ideas, i used a simple alpha-numeric replacement code and created this:

7U25-61W1-1E19

Looks good enough to me, now to make the one for his "legitimate" ID.
Andrew
I spend my life sorting out unique identifiers for people the way they typically work is something along the lines of

T383742403432

The first (or it could be last symbol) is a check digit which makes it harder to mistype the way it works is that you multiply each of the digits by a number in the above example it would be 13 for the1st digit, 12 for the second etc then add the numbers together and divide by a number (23) in the above example the remainder is then used to select the checkdigit counting though the alphabet with A= 0 and ignoring I and O as they just confuse people.
Sometimes you encode information in the first few digits but the last pretty much have to be a counter. The information you encode will have to help guarantee the uniqueness of the number (such as a code for state, county and year of issue)

However you get most of the data from linkage, of course if you are not going to have people typing the number you could go with something much more complicated. The difficulty of spoofing a SIN is going to be making sure that the data linked to the SIN makes sense for the person using it
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (ScooterinAB @ Sep 10 2012, 04:44 PM) *
I downloaded the most fantastic app from the Android Market the other day. It's called Fake Name Generator. You can select the location and gender of a fake ID, and the app outputs everything from a SIN/SS number (fake, of course), occupation, email address and website urls, blood type, maiden name, height and weight, and more. It's such a ridiculous amount of info, but I can see loving it for making NPC's and Fake SINs in Shadowrun.

It's not a Shadowrun SIN number, but it does give some details for a fake SIN.

Oh, you mean this: www.fakenamegenerator.com ?
ScooterinAB
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 11 2012, 06:46 AM) *

That would appear to be one and the same (although I'm using an Android app, so I have it at the table).
Deraj87
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 11 2012, 02:46 PM) *

YES! That is what i need. Now to create a formula for figuring out a general UCAS SIN. I'll start with seattle.
Shemhazai
It should be three groups of six numbers: 666.
Dr.Rockso
Make sure you read it carefully before 'using' your fake id. I just created a Mary Foltz, whose a surgical nurse at Rustler Steak House silly.gif
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 14 2012, 11:25 PM) *
Make sure you read it carefully before 'using' your fake id. I just created a Mary Foltz, whose a surgical nurse at Rustler Steak House silly.gif
Is that a ghoul-only establishment?
CanRay
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 14 2012, 04:25 PM) *
In this economy, you take any job you can.

The people with a College Degree are working at Stuffer Shack!
FuelDrop
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 15 2012, 09:06 AM) *
In this economy, you take any job you can.

The people with a College Degree are working at Stuffer Shack!

And people without them working as middle managers. It's not what you know, it's who you know.
CanRay
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 14 2012, 08:13 PM) *
And people without them working as middle managers. It's not what you know, it's who you know.
And don't I f***ing know it. mad.gif
tsuyoshikentsu
You want a SIN?

Find a jewel case/manual, as applicable, for one of your favorite games from about ten years ago. Use the CD key from it.

Bam, alpha-numeric SIN.
ScooterinAB
One quick way could be to take the fake SIN/SSN from that generator and convert it to Hex or something. That would give an alphanumeric number. Just change the odd other number or letter to different letter and bam - SIN.

Also, there is nothing wring with having a degree and working at Stuffer Shack. *Looks shiftily from side to side* Nothing at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012