Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Add 100 BP to a Character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tsuyoshikentsu

Long story short, this character was made with 400 BP and now she needs to be 500 BP. Quality and nuyen caps are still in place, and I don't want to pump Edge becaus this is for PbP and that can be a headache. Thoughts?

[ Spoiler ]

Notes:

--Escaped Clone and Human-Looking are backstory locks and not changeable. Yes, I know they're not optimized.
--Amnesia has to do with her having no idea she's a clone or who she's a clone of.
--Erased is because the person who cloned her does NOT want people knowing there's a clone of her on the loose, but feels responsible and wants to get her out of jams.
--If you can think of other helpful gear, that would be swell.
Udoshi
How many points have you spent on money already?

How many points left in quality limit?
Udoshi
At a glance:

The biggest change I can think of is to swap some Cyber for Bioware: use Born Rich if you must.
Attention co-processors for Reception enhancers.
Wired Reflexes 2 for a Synaptic Booster 2. Or get Move By Wire instead of wired+reaction enhancers.
Get restricted gear for muscle toner 4, and get muscle toner 4 instead of 2.
cybereyes/smartlink
bone density is nice.

Specialize everything.

upgrade your bike with actually worthwhile sensors and mods. Better docwagon contract that won't punch you in the money later.
Get a commlink with a decent firewall, a rating 4 agent, and actually useful programs. all Common use at 6, optimized, ergonomic. Stealth 6, firewall 6.
add a tacnet.
Get a drone or two. everyone loves drones.

more contacts. Contacts with high loyalty are nice.
Speed Wraith
First, throw yourself a party, because you're able to make a "real" shadowrunner now and not just some wannabe like the RAW default.

Second, you now have 50 points more for stats (max is 1/2 BP, so WOOT!) spend 'em, spend 'em now. You obviously need them, especially your Will.

Next, please buy decent armor. With that Body score you should probably have the full form fitting suit with a motorcycle suit over top, unless you prefer more individual items for mods, but I don't see that you spent much on mods. Seriously, the form-fitting+motorcycle suit is better than anything short of military grade stuff with strength enhancements (those military strength enhancements can bring your strength over your modified maximum). If you haven't put more points into money, go for it.

All that essence and you've got goggles? Psh. Eyes man, get the eyes. You can fit soooooo much more stuff in there. Don't you want ultrasound cybereyes? Wouldn't a laser eye system be nice? More drones, more modded drones, and more drones.

Just my $.02, YMMV biggrin.gif
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 13 2012, 11:37 AM) *
How many points have you spent on money already?

How many points left in quality limit?

34 BP spent on gear, 35 on qualities.

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 13 2012, 11:45 AM) *
At a glance:

Bio stuff: Most of this is out of the question, as my qualities are full.

Specializations: Not sure how I missed that. Great idea. smile.gif

Vehicle: Bike is purely transportation; I don't really care about it.

Docwagon: We have a healing free spirit.

Commlink: I have the best stock commlink available. Is that not enough for a non-hacker? (I'll look into the programs.) Also, I don't think anyone else is using a tacnet.

Contacts: Forgot to say that we're getting 15 BP worth of free contacts, so don't worry about that.

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Sep 13 2012, 11:54 AM) *
Second, you now have 50 points more for stats (max is 1/2 BP, so WOOT!) spend 'em, spend 'em now. You obviously need them, especially your Will.

What would you recommend aside from Wil?

Next, please buy decent armor. With that Body score you should probably have the full form fitting suit with a motorcycle suit over top, unless you prefer more individual items for mods, but I don't see that you spent much on mods. Seriously, the form-fitting+motorcycle suit is better than anything short of military grade stuff with strength enhancements (those military strength enhancements can bring your strength over your modified maximum). If you haven't put more points into money, go for it.

I'm already doing that. Is what I have not good enough?

All that essence and you've got goggles? Psh. Eyes man, get the eyes. You can fit soooooo much more stuff in there. Don't you want ultrasound cybereyes?
It's a thought. A groovy, groovy thought. smile.gif

Wouldn't a laser eye system be nice? More drones, more modded drones, and more drones.

Neither of these is really that appealing to me. I'm not really a fan of dealing with drones on my non-rigger characters.
Udoshi
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 13 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Bio stuff: Most of this is out of the question, as my qualities are full.

Commlink: I have the best stock commlink available. Is that not enough for a non-hacker? (I'll look into the programs.) Also, I don't think anyone else is using a tacnet.

What would you recommend aside from Wil?

1) Synaptic booster 2's are availability 12, saves you tons of essence for later.

2) 5, 4, 3, 5 is hardly the best. If i'm remembering the battle buddy right, the novatech OS is bringing you down. Get rid of it. Instead, get System/Firewall 6. You don't care if the System drops down a die due to a response of 5, its only 500 nuyen and saves hastle later if you want to upgrade your CPU.
if nobody's running a tacnet, you may want a second commlink to run a Centralized Tacnet, with the Optimized commlink mod. Rating 2 tacnets are availability 10.
With a commlink like that, you might as well pick up some Electronics/hacking skills.

3) Edge. Will and Edge.

Anyway, 80,000 nuyen to play with. I'd get another backup lifestyle just in case.
tsuyoshikentsu
1) That's a good call; I'll try it out. EDIT: I ran the numbers; this is impossible to afford.

2) How do I get System/Firewall 6? Also, I'm totally uninterested in being a hacker; how necessary is this super-computer for my character as-is?

3) Remember that I'm not terribly interested in being Mr. Lucky. Isn't Edge 3 enough?
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 13 2012, 06:02 PM) *
1) That's a good call; I'll try it out. EDIT: I ran the numbers; this is impossible to afford.

2) How do I get System/Firewall 6? Also, I'm totally uninterested in being a hacker; how necessary is this super-computer for my character as-is?

3) Remember that I'm not terribly interested in being Mr. Lucky. Isn't Edge 3 enough?

On your second point here, with the Battle Buddy Basic, buy a Response 6 upgrade module and then just go buy a Rating 6 System and Firewall, boom, done. (Granted, this is going by my opinion of properly running Firewall by keeping the same restriction on it that System has). Increasing that stuff to rating 6 would enable you to run a non-optimized rating 6 Encrypt program to go with that beast of a Firewall, or if you have the cred (and availability boost) possibly a rating 7 or 8 Encrypt program with optimization.

On your third point, well, IMO, Edge isn't that great being that it is a very finite resource, but if your happy with everything else on the character--attributes, skills, qualities, contacts, etc.--Edge might be an all right place to put extra points.
Dyspeptic
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 13 2012, 07:02 PM) *

System and Firewall can be bought individually, SR4 pg 330 for costs. I actually do recommend them if you've got the cash (and you apparently do). Now... honestly, it's still not going to keep out a dedicated hacker, but running Encrypt will buy you a few turns while an intruder cracks it. If you're paranoid about cyber-attacks, get an Agent, load it up with Analyze, Armor, Medic, and Black Hammer, and set on search and destroy in your 'link. If you're just using your 'link like a cell phone, I wouldn't worry.

I'd also say to run a skinlink to any gear you need on your PAN, and turn your wireless off when not necessary.

Stats: Edge 3 is ok, especially if you're not looking for Mr Lucky. Will 3 is ok, too, as all it's going to do for you is spell defense... and more isn't going to be sufficient help. You've got a lot invested in stealth/influence, so I would recommend another couple of points in Charisma or Intuition. Or both.

Skills: Consider a point in Hardware. It's extremely useful, and you can't default on it. Also think about a couple of points in a close combat skill (likely Unarmed).

Gear: For disguises, Altskin is good stuff. Once you're playing (and not restricted to the 12 availability limit) the Newprint and Shifter mods are really, really good. You may want some other B&E gear. Maglock Passkey and Sequencer, an Autopicker, etc. A discrete selection of combat drugs may also be useful... in your case, I would recommend keeping a dose of Long Haul on hand, and possibly a couple doses of Nitro for combat.

Weapons: You've got too much in Heavy Weapons not to have an MGL-6 and some utlilty grenade options. Splash grenades full of KE IV, especially (bugs are bad news). Flash bangs are highly underrated by most; you should have some. If you're feeling *particularly*, well, cheesy, some splash grenades with a DMSO/Slab or DMSO/Leal cocktail are... effective. Oh, and a Shock Glove, always nice.

Implants: A Synthcardium looks to be right up your alley. I like the Vocal Range Enhance bioware to defeat voiceprint systems. If you think you're going to be getting shot at a lot, the platelet factory/trauma damper combo mitigates a lots of damage. A couple of Skin Pockets help with concealing your gear. And if you care to go with a cyber-replacement lower leg, you can fit a radar sensor and a nano-hive. A rating 2 nanohive would support limbic and neo-cortical nanite systems. Or Universal Nantidotes.

I know that's a lot of options to look at, even with an extra 100 build. What you pick should be governed by what you consider your primary role to be in the group.
tsuyoshikentsu
Okay, here's the latest version. I still have 21 BP to spend, but only 7 of it can be for nuyen. So people, if you're going to suggest bioware, keep it affordable.

Also... on the issue of drugs. Roleplaying addiction is something that has intense personal complications for me and I wish to avoid it at all cost. So they're out.

[ Spoiler ]
Speed Wraith
What other attributes? Strength would be a great start. If you can find a way to get it up high enough to get some extra recoil modifiers out of it then you'll enjoy those heavy weapons with their "double uncompensated recoil" penalty. On a similar note, you might want to get those foot anchor cyberware, but I don't remember if you can have those without the limbs off the top of my head.

Just because you're not planning on being Mr. Rigger guy doesn't mean drones shouldn't be purchased.

Get two for your home, both with decent sensor suites and extended operation. Get a flying mini or micro that you can keep in your pocket, this one is ESPECIALLY useful to you with that massive heavy weapons skill. You can set it up to act as your own spotter for artillery! Drones are really best used for observation and TacNet purposes, and IMHO, every runner should have at least one to act as eyes in the back of their heads.
tsuyoshikentsu
We're not, to my knowledge, playing with the STR as recoil rule--hence why in the latest version I decided to softmax all of my attributes and just dump it. Foot anchors aren't a bad thought, though.
Jhaiisiin
I actually recommend against specializing during BP gen. Specializing in BP costs 2bp, the equivalent of 4 karma. After chargen, you can get it for 2 karma each. 50% savings that way.
tsuyoshikentsu
I would agree in general, but in this game I seriously have so much BP I don't know what to do with it all. Combined with the fact that I only have a few skills that I can specialize anyway (by virtue of the rest being in skill groups), why not?

I know that my character isn't being super-optimal--mostly because I'm really too lazy to put in the in-game effort to make her work better. (Drones and Edge being the main offenders here.) I seriously am just looking for cool things to do with the spare BP I have.
ScooterinAB
I'd like to chime in about a commlink. Having a high Firewall is totally necessary, regardless of the amount of hacking you plan to do. Think of it this way. If the hacker is the only one with a decent Firewall, the rest of the team will be the ones who are hacked. Cyberware backdoors, missing nuyen, data trail, and more are all very real concerns that your GM can spring on you. Especially if the GM is giving you 500 BP and a bunch of free contacts, this may be a sign that you need to step up your game.

I would like to disagree with All4BigGuns regarding Firewall though. The majority claim that Firewall is a Matrix attribute, not a program, and as such is not limited by System/Response. This is the GM's call, since it is not explicitly stated one way or another, but the majority seem to think that the ruling is silly and necessarily restrictive.

As for other Matrix security, Analyze is a good program, since you have set it to report any known access to your commlink. There is another program that is good for "anti-virus" purposes, but the names slips me at the moment. What I do remember is that it is in Unwired and there is a Rating 5 software package that includes it as well as the Viral Resistance addons.

As for spending the points, you basically want to become better at everything you can. I didn't see any thoughts on team role. What is it you are specializing in as a character?
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 14 2012, 12:43 PM) *
We're not, to my knowledge, playing with the STR as recoil rule--hence why in the latest version I decided to softmax all of my attributes and just dump it. Foot anchors aren't a bad thought, though.

It might still be worth a few more points, even without the recoil rule, depending on how combat in your game rolls. GM might be restrictive about using truly heavy gear such as a Ballistas or assault cannon, or maybe not.
tsuyoshikentsu
Call it a major in Shooting Things with a double minor in Deceptive Infiltration and Social Skills. In other words, she's a gun bunny with a little bit of con man; she's either in the jacket with the machine gun or the Synergist suit with the Elan and a smile.

...I need an emotitoy, duh.
Udoshi
QUOTE (ScooterinAB @ Sep 14 2012, 12:11 PM) *
I would like to disagree with All4BigGuns regarding Firewall though. The majority claim that Firewall is a Matrix attribute, not a program, and as such is not limited by System/Response. This is the GM's call, since it is not explicitly stated one way or another, but the majority seem to think that the ruling is silly and necessarily restrictive.

FAQ'D. Firewall isn't limited by system or processor. If you want a private commlink, you put firewall 6 on it, period.
Glyph
Okay, quick and dirty expenditure of 21 BP. 6 in resources to get synthcardium: 3 (since you have the Athletics skill group), 1 to raise your Fixer's loyalty to 2, so he at least doesn't have to struggle to remember your character's name, and 14 to get intimidation with a specialization, since you are a semi-face, and you need this skill (especially since intimidation is used to resist intimidation).
tsuyoshikentsu
Ooh, didn't know that about Intimidation. Sold!
ScooterinAB
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 14 2012, 03:21 PM) *
FAQ'D. Firewall isn't limited by system or processor. If you want a private commlink, you put firewall 6 on it, period.

Thanks. I didn't know there was an errata on it. I don't use Anniversary, in the event that it was cleared up there.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (ScooterinAB @ Sep 15 2012, 11:36 AM) *
Thanks. I didn't know there was an errata on it. I don't use Anniversary, in the event that it was cleared up there.

There's not errata. There may be mention in the FAQ, but a FAQ document is not an errata document. It doesn't help anyway due to blatant rules contradictions in the document.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Sep 15 2012, 12:49 PM) *
There's not errata. There may be mention in the FAQ, but a FAQ document is not an errata document. It doesn't help anyway due to blatant rules contradictions in the document.

Irregardless, Firewall is a Matrix Atttribute, and is not called out specifically with the Rule about System and Response. As such, it is not really ambiguous. It is not subject to reduced rating due to lower Response. smile.gif
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 15 2012, 05:01 PM) *
Irregardless, Firewall is a Matrix Atttribute, and is not called out specifically with the Rule about System and Response. As such, it is not really ambiguous. It is not subject to reduced rating due to lower Response. smile.gif

With that post, I was merely trying to head off someone starting to think of the FAQ as errata when it isn't even that reliable as what it is.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Sep 15 2012, 07:55 PM) *
With that post, I was merely trying to head off someone starting to think of the FAQ as errata when it isn't even that reliable as what it is.

Ahhh... Gotcha... smile.gif
ScooterinAB
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Sep 15 2012, 08:55 PM) *

For all functional purposes, FAQ documents are errata. In fact, FAQès are better than errata because they can add clarification rather than just correcting something.

But let's try and stay on topic. The only reason why I brought this up was to clear up how commlinks work for non-hackers. This is a topic about adding to a character, not about if firewall is limited.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012