Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Silly idea Mystic Adept+Rigger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sinistra
So I had a silly idea, not even sure if it would be viable, since it is mostly about the 'Rigger' Part, and even then I am not sure I would call the character a Rigger so much as a M. Adept with Drones. Is Using drones Autonomously (Telling them what to do, but not Jumping in through AR or VR, or Remote Controlling them) Even worth it if your Comm has some good Autosofts? Or is it just a waste of Money and BP that could better go towards other gear and stuff involving being a Mystic Adept? Or even being a Regular Adept instead of Mystic Adept.

I am just trying to think of some more wacky but workable concepts.
Midas
Not necessarily a silly idea, but given that MysAds and Riggers are both fairly BP intensive builds it would be very hard if not impossible to pull off. You would probably have to take a very narrow focus in both fields in CharGen and look to expand once you get into the sandbox. As an example, you could look at building an eccentric tinkerer who uses drones and spirits to do his bidding (Artificer mentor spirit for the win).

Why MysAd though? A simple Adept rigger might be easier to build, you would just have to make sure the character was cyber-lite and perhaps give him a low starting Magic. For instance, taking Magic 2 (reduced to 1 because of cyber) and 4 0.25PP non-combat Increase Skills, you are getting 16BP worth of skills for 25BP (Magic 20 plus Adept 5). You effectively lose 9BP (and 5BP from your +ve Qualities max) and will be limiting your potential to cyber up for the access to adept powers, but will have room to grow as an adept outside the traditional mundane rigger purview.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Midas @ Sep 26 2012, 02:12 AM) *
Not necessarily a silly idea, but given that MysAds and Riggers are both fairly BP intensive builds it would be very hard if not impossible to pull off. You would probably have to take a very narrow focus in both fields in CharGen and look to expand once you get into the sandbox. As an example, you could look at building an eccentric tinkerer who uses drones and spirits to do his bidding (Artificer mentor spirit for the win).

Why MysAd though? A simple Adept rigger might be easier to build, you would just have to make sure the character was cyber-lite and perhaps give him a low starting Magic. For instance, taking Magic 2 (reduced to 1 because of cyber) and 4 0.25PP non-combat Increase Skills, you are getting 16BP worth of skills for 25BP (Magic 20 plus Adept 5). You effectively lose 9BP (and 5BP from your +ve Qualities max) and will be limiting your potential to cyber up for the access to adept powers, but will have room to grow as an adept outside the traditional mundane rigger purview.

Magic Cost of 10 (for your starting Magic of 2, as you indicated), your first point is Free. So you are actually ahead of the game by 1BP. smile.gif
Modular Man
This has actually been done before. Heck, I did it myself! It just really depends on your goals.
The most amazing idea (in my opinion) I have seen so far was done here.
My own Mystic Adept/Rigger is currently moving to a role where he is mostly controlling and organizing things via tacnet and multiple subscriptions. Granted, there are drawbacks. He's weak in personal combat (got drones and magic for that, right?) and the group already has a capable combat mage and a driver who's rigging as a side role. Was also done in Karmagen.
We discussed this a few months back, here and here.
Next thing I'll do is combining humanoid drones with Physical Mask.
Sinistra
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Sep 26 2012, 11:06 PM) *
This has actually been done before. Heck, I did it myself! It just really depends on your goals.
My own Mystic Adept/Rigger is currently moving to a role where he is mostly controlling and organizing things via tacnet and multiple subscriptions. Granted, there are drawbacks. He's weak in personal combat (got drones and magic for that, right?) and the group already has a capable combat mage and a driver who's rigging as a side role. Was also done in Karmagen.
We discussed this a few months back, here and here.
Next thing I'll do is combining humanoid drones with Physical Mask.

I looked into some of the threads, I may be able to work with it or I will drop the Rigger side entirely and focus more on being a Mystic Adept/Driver (We sort of need a skilled Driver if my current character kicks the can.). The Driver is a side thing, basically I am going to be a fairly standard Mystic Adept with driving on the side. I will have to see about the driving stuff.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Sep 26 2012, 05:06 PM) *

<3
People actually read my stuff?

QUOTE (Sinistra @ Sep 25 2012, 11:07 PM) *
Is Using drones Autonomously (Telling them what to do, but not Jumping in through AR or VR, or Remote Controlling them)

Adept Multitasking is fantastic for this. I always wanted to play a four-armed nartaki rigger who just sat on the backlines in a lawnchair bossing drones about.
'Captain's Chair' style rigging is also very versatile because 1) command owns and 2) with how free actions can be delayed and interjected into other people's turn, you can use More Than Metahuman to, well, troll people very effectively. "Oh shit, my drone's getting shot up! Screw that, Free action to jump in, full defense!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012