Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Killing time
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
The recent 'how much can runners make without running' thread got me wondering:
What is your runner's idea of a good time? after all, one of the attractions of running is that you can maintain your lifestyle for less hours work per week than a wageslave, thus having more time for your hobbies.

Our group has an odd mix:
We have a pair of party girls who've recently decided to split the cost of a high lifestyle down the middle and spend most of their free time in clubs and bars.
We have a Ninja who seems to spend most of his downtime meditating on his lost loved one, training, and meditating in his low lifestyle.
We have a Jedi who's convinced that that it's his destiny to refound the Jedi order, and spends his off hours working towards that goal.
We have a male prostitute mage who spends much of his off time feeding his sex addiction (which managed to recently kill his relationship with his soulmate and cut his last connections with his old, comfortable life as a law-abiding citizen. You know, there are some days I feel bad about conscripting him when his car broke down next to one of our heists... I don't think we ever paid him for that mission either. *sigh* poor guy)
StealthSigma
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 26 2012, 09:13 AM) *
The recent 'how much can runners make without running' thread got me wondering:
What is your runner's idea of a good time? after all, one of the attractions of running is that you can maintain your lifestyle for less hours work per week than a wageslave, thus having more time for your hobbies.

Our group has an odd mix:
We have a pair of party girls who've recently decided to split the cost of a high lifestyle down the middle and spend most of their free time in clubs and bars.
We have a Ninja who seems to spend most of his downtime meditating on his lost loved one, training, and meditating in his low lifestyle.
We have a Jedi who's convinced that that it's his destiny to refound the Jedi order, and spends his off hours working towards that goal.
We have a male prostitute mage who spends much of his off time feeding his sex addiction (which managed to recently kill his relationship with his soulmate and cut his last connections with his old, comfortable life as a law-abiding citizen. You know, there are some days I feel bad about conscripting him when his car broke down next to one of our heists... I don't think we ever paid him for that mission either. *sigh* poor guy)

My runner (who you could call a friendly sniper) spends his times at clubs or getting great seats at sport events. Disco boxing is one of his favorites. Yes, it's probably a sport I made up. LET ME HAVE IT.
bannockburn
Disco boxing sounds very awesome. Tell us more about it, please biggrin.gif

My characters like to go clubbing, hang out with friends and family, play AR games like Miracle Shooter, network, write / patch programs, troll message boards, do a lot of sports. One is a hobby cook and music lover, another loves dancing and so on.
None of them watch action trids (as they can't appreciate them because their suspension of disbelief doesn't really allow it wink.gif ) and mostly they lead rather active lifestyles.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Sep 26 2012, 09:41 AM) *
Disco boxing sounds very awesome. Tell us more about it, please biggrin.gif

Disco boxing is sport based on a martial art style that grew out of boxing and disco dancing. Disco boxing is a martial art style in which many of the strikes and blocks are heavily influenced by disco dancing. Disco boxing follows the standard round style for regular boxing except that each round is divided into two parts. The first part is a disco dance in which the card girls are in the ring and also dancing with the two boxers. The second part is the boxing portion which uses the disco inspired moves. A competitor can win by one of two methods. The first method is for his opponent to collapse and fail to disco dance for the entire duration of the first part of the round. The second method is to achieve a knock out or referee decision during the boxing portion.

In essence, Disco Boxing is very similar to Chess Boxing with the exception that there is no time limit to the match and both parts of each round are endurance based.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Lets See....

GT, who is a Troll Mercenary, spends his time completely Blotto with Hookers and Blow. He spends a lot of his days in a hazed out existence.

Darkhoni, who is an Oni Assassin, Spends his time helping the poor in the neighborhood and tending to his flock (he is a neighborhood priest).

Those are the two most noteable currently. Though the Assassin has disappeared in game. Probably something to do with the over the top Pink Mohawkness of two of the other characters
Marwynn
Fighting off an evil priest... of the Church of Elvis.

I drek you not.

High powered Mystic Adept, seems almost a match for my Combat Mage who made himself an enemy by doing some freelancing in "acquisitions". I shouldn't have given my GM that character concept.

You think it'd be stressful, but it's not a lot of combat. Just tripping each other up.

My mundane generalist is trying to farm. Just southwest of Toronto, prime fertile land. He cooks, splits firewood, and then goes parahunting for kicks.
lorechaser
My Ork pistol adept spent her off time tend to her aged mother and family, which mostly meant fetching them beers and getting berated for not having a normal job and not having a husband at her old age of 26 (she was always available for runs).

My Ork B&E jumps off buildings, hydro skis, breaks in to stuffer shacks, and drinks fine wine (which he knows a lot about, but does not understand). also he watches a lot of trid sports. And occasionally he steals Renaissance paintings, takes them home for the night, then puts them back before anyone notices. Sometimes he also tries to figure out how to hide stolen Renaissance paintings that someone noticed were missing.
Stahlseele
Usually a bit of Training, hitting the Bars, hitting the Streets, hitting the Woods or simply staying at home with some beer and junk-food and neil the ork barbarian.
Blackb1rd
Well, my main Character, Roy Hanson - Hitman for the Catholic Church. Spends the majority of his time scouring underworld bookstores (The kind that have really old books, real paper) looking to expand his knowledge of the church over past centuries. He also spends a good amount of time in quiet coffee shops and bars reading said books and researching targets on a discreet network. Overall a loner he would be lost without his Dog and a comfortable apartment in Renton to go home to at the end of the night.
CanRay
One of my Players, a Technomancer, works on his Virtual Bar (now with organized crime ties as there's a "White ATM" in it). The group's Ork Tank goes clubbing, a lot, and even started a fashion trend. The rest of the group scares everyone and we're better off not knowing what they do.

My character (Now that I'm playing! biggrin.gif ), Heavy Weapons Troll Decker, cleans and says sweet nothings into his firearms (In Russian, of course), and hacks random Minor Paydata to pay for his bullets. The funny part is that my group is now getting to the point where they don't even know what kinds of weapons I have, just their names. When he pulls out Svetlana ("Svettie" for short), they know the Drek has hit the Fan and it's time to duck.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 26 2012, 01:18 PM) *
One of my Players, a Technomancer, works on his Virtual Bar (now with organized crime ties as there's a "White ATM" in it). The group's Ork Tank goes clubbing, a lot, and even started a fashion trend. The rest of the group scares everyone and we're better off not knowing what they do.

Is that techno the character with the mahogany obsession?
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 26 2012, 12:28 PM) *
Is that techno the character with the mahogany obsession?
No, but he's the player with the Airship Pirates character with the Mahogany Obsession, so it gets referenced to him a lot.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 26 2012, 12:18 PM) *
[...]Now that I'm playing! biggrin.gif [...]

What.

[...]When he pulls out Svetlana ("Svettie" for short)[...]

You....you haven't been playing Dead Island have you?
nylanfs
As of shortly after GenCon this year CanRay finally got to play in a game.

My char Artiste likes to paint landscapes in her off time. Which gives her a small income after selling under a pseudo-name.
FuelDrop
Cletus John Wayne 33: A redneck streetsam who firmly believes he's Jesus (yes, that Jesus. Never try and rip off your personafix dealer). Prominent member of the 'Cult of the Christian Kingdom', basically a splinter group of the catholic church who've modeled their progression on the Church of Scientology. Since his faulty datajack randomly switches on and off his personafix he goes from brewing moonshine to spreading the word of god to shooting people in the face for money... and that's in his off time!
Blackb1rd
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 26 2012, 07:02 PM) *
Prominent member of the 'Cult of the Christian Kingdom', basically a splinter group of the catholic church who've modeled their progression on the Church of Scientology

Note to Self. 26 SEPT 2072 APPOX: 2200 New splinter faction of Catholic Church Rising. Led by individual who claims to be 'Jesus'. Follow up with Father Conley.
Ruby
In my husband's game we have "Roxy" my Ork merc (previously mentioned in another thread). She spends her spare time practicing her marksmanship or watching action or comedy trids with her BFF & arms dealer contact, Dirk. Then there's "Racer X" the rigger. The player refused to name his rigger & due to the fact he said his character spends his spare time off-road racing in his tricked out car, we dubbed him Racer X. Then there's my cousin's hacker, "Poptart" who's basically a 17-yr-old ginger who likes to play MMOs and hack stuff. Roxy calls him Stringbean.

Then there's our other friend's game. My husband has reprised his favorite Face, Argento. I'm trying to play an amnesiac mage, my cousin and his friend are some kind of combat characters (I think one is an adept and the other is cybered) & I frankly don't know what the drek the GM's girlfriend is playing other than "monofiliment-whip-wielding gay tranny dwarf" That game hasn't quite gone anywhere.
CanRay
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 26 2012, 03:19 PM) *
You....you haven't been playing Dead Island have you?
I rented it (Back when I could RENT games) and played for a few hours, why?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 26 2012, 10:49 PM) *
I rented it (Back when I could RENT games) and played for a few hours, why?

There's a quest giver called Svetlana, that occasionally calls herself 'Sveti'. She has a particularly annoying voice, and since its a recurring quest you end up hearing her speak far more than you'd like to.
Marwynn

My character (Now that I'm playing! biggrin.gif ), Heavy Weapons Troll Decker, cleans and says sweet nothings into his firearms (In Russian, of course), and hacks random Minor Paydata to pay for his bullets. The funny part is that my group is now getting to the point where they don't even know what kinds of weapons I have, just their names. When he pulls out Svetlana ("Svettie" for short), they know the Drek has hit the Fan and it's time to duck.

Just do a better job of keeping the guns' names straight than I did...

The Heavy from TF2 eh? Do you have his sheet up somewhere?
CanRay
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 27 2012, 02:51 PM) *
There's a quest giver called Svetlana, that occasionally calls herself 'Sveti'. She has a particularly annoying voice, and since its a recurring quest you end up hearing her speak far more than you'd like to.
You just described most of the quest givers, except not by name, in that game as far as I was concerned. Glad I didn't buy the bloody thing.
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Sep 27 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Just do a better job of keeping the guns' names straight than I did...

The Heavy from TF2 eh? Do you have his sheet up somewhere?
I'll try to keep the names better, but I got them in my head pretty well. Katjusha has been reserved for when I get a rocket launcher. biggrin.gif

Aleksandrina for when I get an AK-98 (which should be soon, as I'm in the Middle East and was surprised I didn't get handed one when I got off the boat.). The name means "Defender of mankind". biggrin.gif

Currently the sheet is in three different places, as my still-healing broken arm prevents me from doing a lot handwriting.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 27 2012, 10:32 PM) *
You just described most of the quest givers, except not by name, in that game as far as I was concerned. Glad I didn't buy the bloody thing.

I don't know, I really remember two characters for having an annoying voice: Svetlana and that chick you need to bring her teddy bear to.
TeChameleon
*chuckle*

Headjuice, my troll physad, spent his working hours as a troublepuncher (like a troubleshooter, but without the guns), and most of his problem solving involved 'hit it until it stops trying to get back up'. Granted, that usually meant 'hit it once', so it worked well enough for him.

He spent his off hours quietly reading on a wide variety of topics, touring locally to admire particularly striking pieces of architecture, and occasionally pursuing his futile quest to find a decent ale in Seattle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012