Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartsight(tm)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Some of my characters are a bit squeamish about having their eyes ripped out and replaced with cameras and similar treatments, so have to rely on things like contact lenses, glasses and helmets for their smartlink systems. This is normally fine, though i can understand why a character with otherwise perfect eyesight might find donning contact lenses every day a bit of a chore.

anyway, I noticed that the imaging scope upgrade could take the smartlink system and that got me thinking: what if the imaging scope was used to represent what amounts to a smart reflex sight (including all smartlink display data), with all the other smartgun functions (eg ejecting clips, switching ammo types ect) are either skinlinked to your trode net or voice activated? Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

I'd like to amend that I understand how limited the utility for this would be compared to a regular smartlink in glasses or the like (not least of which is that a regular setup links to all of your guns), but for corner cases like the gun you're hiding under your pillow or a stash weapon (that you may have to retrieve after your normal smartlink is ancient history), it may just be worthwhile if you've got the spare cash.

Thoughts?
faultline
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 30 2012, 01:49 AM) *
Some of my characters are a bit squeamish about having their eyes ripped out and replaced with cameras and similar treatments, so have to rely on things like contact lenses, glasses and helmets for their smartlink systems. This is normally fine, though i can understand why a character with otherwise perfect eyesight might find donning contact lenses every day a bit of a chore.

Donning contacts every day depends on the contacts you get, there are contacts these days that you can wear up to a month without needing to remove them. I'm pretty sure by the 2070's they've been able to extend the wear time even further.

anyway, I noticed that the imaging scope upgrade could take the smartlink system and that got me thinking: what if the imaging scope was used to represent what amounts to a smart reflex sight (including all smartlink display data), with all the other smartgun functions (eg ejecting clips, switching ammo types ect) are either skinlinked to your trode net or voice activated? Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

It all depends on how much you can cram into the imaging scope.

"Imaging Scope: These classic scopes are attached to the top
mount; attaching or removing them takes only a Simple Action.
Imaging scopes can be upgraded with any of the vision enhancements
noted on p. 333." SR4A p. 322

It only says you can but it doesnt list a capacity.

I'd like to amend that I understand how limited the utility for this would be compared to a regular smartlink in glasses or the like (not least of which is that a regular setup links to all of your guns), but for corner cases like the gun you're hiding under your pillow or a stash weapon (that you may have to retrieve after your normal smartlink is ancient history), it may just be worthwhile if you've got the spare cash.

Thoughts?

1) Price - Imaging scope 300, Imagelink 25, Smartlink 500 (total 825) each gun, or Contacts R3 150, Imagelink 25, Smartlink 500 (total 675) once.

2) The smartgun system is all based around where the gun is pointing so with a scope your limited to shooting only ahead of you, because you'd have to be looking into the scope to be getting the targeting info hence your bonus, but with the contacts it doesnt matter if your shooting around a corner or behind you, because your still getting the targeting info hence your bonus.
Dakka Dakka
Also you would need an individual scope for each and every weapon you have or you would have to swap. Better put all you need (including image magnification) into contact lenses, glasses and/or goggles. Then you only need the setup once and you get image magnification with every weapon, not just those that can and do take a scope.
faultline
Thanks Dakka, I knew I was forgetting something in my post and kept going back and checking my post because it was bugging me. Previous post has been edited.

Yerameyahu
with all the other smartgun functions (eg ejecting clips, switching ammo types ect) are either skinlinked to your trode net or voice activated? Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

While this is true (you can use all kinds of inconvenient stuff, like eye gestures, various manual controls, voice commands, whatever), why would you do this? Your trodes can handle *everything*, and the gun has to have a smartgun system in the first place (guncam/etc. included).

If you're saying, 'what if you had a smartgun but no contacts/trodes/nothing', then sure, Image Link in the sight seems fine.
Iduno
Would you take an action to aim, or how would you make use of the scope on a gun? The main benefit of the image link in your eyes is that you don't have you be looking down the barrel of the gun.
Yerameyahu
Sounds right to me. Using a scope or sight takes an action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012