Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does it say...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Just need to find out where it says that you can't combine suppressor and gas vent systems. I've heard it said on the forums before but I haven't been able to find it in my books.
Thanks in advance.
mister__joshua
I think it'll be in the Gun Modifications section in Arsenal. Both are barrel mods, and there's one mod per component or something like that
The Jopp
I think you CAN combine them depending on if it is an integral modification or an accessory.

A weapon with an integral gas vent could still mount a suppressor to the front of the barrel.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 5 2012, 12:03 PM) *
I think you CAN combine them depending on if it is an integral modification or an accessory.

A weapon with an integral gas vent could still mount a suppressor to the front of the barrel.

That sounds about right. I was working from (bad) memory
Nemo
IIrc you can combine a gasvent Mod with a silencer/suppresor (Ingram Smartgun X in the Core as example), but if you get the benefit of the gasvent, you don't get the benefit of the suppressor. on a gun with internal Smartlink you can select the function.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Nemo @ Oct 5 2012, 12:20 PM) *
IIrc you can combine a gasvent Mod with a silencer/suppresor (Ingram Smartgun X in the Core as example), but if you get the benefit of the gasvent, you don't get the benefit of the suppressor. on a gun with internal Smartlink you can select the function.

That's a good balance.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Nemo @ Oct 5 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Could i get a page number for that rule please? anyone?
StealthSigma
Arsenal, page 152
Characters can have a firearm equipped with a sound suppressor or thermal suppressor (p. 153) and a gas-vent system at the same time; however, the gas-vent system must be turned off in order to receive the benefits from the suppressor. Turning a gas-vent system on and off requires a Simple Action, or a Free Action in the case of smartguns.
FuelDrop
Thanks.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 5 2012, 08:32 AM) *
Thanks.

I only addresses suppressor and gas vents mods. It does not explicitly address mixing a mod with an accessory which is the only conceivable manner which you might be able to get both benefits at once. Both upgrades occupy the same accessory slot so you cannot gain the benefit of both when using both as accessories. You cannot gain the benefit of both when you're using them both as mods.

It would seem to me that you should not be able to use a gas vent mod at the same time you use a suppressor accessory and likewise you should not be able to use a suppressor mod at the same time you use a gas-vent accessory.
The Jopp
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Oct 5 2012, 01:56 PM) *
It would seem to me that you should not be able to use a gas vent mod at the same time you use a suppressor accessory and likewise you should not be able to use a suppressor mod at the same time you use a gas-vent accessory.

We could assume that the mod/acc is once piece of modular tech with some moving parts (like opening and closing vents in a silencer).
StealthSigma
There's also these paragraphs from pg148.

Some of the weapon modifi cations presented in this list are also available as firearm accessories. Th e difference between the two of them is that accessories can be installed without re-quiring extensive mechanical knowledge, while modifi cations require an application of the modifi cation rules mentioned at the beginning of this chapter.

Please note that a firearm can only hold one upgrade of a type, either from a modification or from an accessory. Once a fire-arm holds a modification of a particular type, it cannot be further equipped with an accessory of that type. On the other hand, if a weapon has an accessory attached to it, this accessory must be removed before a modification of the same type can be installed.

The problem with it is that "type" isn't really something defined for modifications so I'm not 100% certain what they're referencing. Most likely they're saying that you can't stack a barrel accessory and a barrel accessory that is a mod.
FriendoftheDork
Problem with all this is that these rules supersedes the RAW in the core book, where there is no rule that the gas vented Ingram Smartgun is not Suppressed. In fact there is no rule in the core book in mixing these systems unless they use the same slot (which they can't).

So my interpretation is that:

You can combine internal smartgun with Suppressor accessory. You can combine Internal Suppressor with Smartgun accessory. You can mod a weapon with slots, giving both gas vent and suppressor, but then only one works at a time.

In other words, unless already designed for it, it cannot be used at the same time. It doesent make much sense, but is ok balance wise (should be some drawback with modding existing weapons).
Marwynn
Gas Vent 3 and a Sound Suppressor take up 5 slots on their own as mods. This makes the Ingram Smartgun X even more desirable than usual.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 5 2012, 09:14 AM) *
Problem with all this is that these rules supersedes the RAW in the core book, where there is no rule that the gas vented Ingram Smartgun is not Suppressed. In fact there is no rule in the core book in mixing these systems unless they use the same slot (which they can't).

So my interpretation is that:

You can combine internal smartgun with Suppressor accessory. You can combine Internal Suppressor with Smartgun accessory. You can mod a weapon with slots, giving both gas vent and suppressor, but then only one works at a time.

In other words, unless already designed for it, it cannot be used at the same time. It doesent make much sense, but is ok balance wise (should be some drawback with modding existing weapons).

You can always get a gun with one or the other already included in the base weapon and then install the other as a barrel mod.

FN HAR has built in gas vent 2. put a suppressor on it.

HK MP-5TX - Same

also, the HK 227-x is the same as the ingram
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 5 2012, 04:15 PM) *
Gas Vent 3 and a Sound Suppressor take up 5 slots on their own as mods. This makes the Ingram Smartgun X even more desirable than usual.

Yeah, except for having Gas vent 2. You cannot remove a gas vent system when installed.

QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Oct 5 2012, 04:37 PM) *
You can always get a gun with one or the other already included in the base weapon and then install the other as a barrel mod.

FN HAR has built in gas vent 2. put a suppressor on it.

HK MP-5TX - Same

also, the HK 227-x is the same as the ingram

Yup. The 2 Above has inferior gas vent systems though, while the latter has none, which may be why it is favored by corpsec (which can afford to upgrade it later).
The Jopp
Can you combine an integral gas vent with a barrel accessory for added effect though?
Glyph
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Oct 5 2012, 05:03 AM) *
The problem with it is that "type" isn't really something defined for modifications so I'm not 100% certain what they're referencing. Most likely they're saying that you can't stack a barrel accessory and a barrel accessory that is a mod.

No, what they are saying is that you can't get the same thing as an accessory and a modification - in other words, you can't have a gas-vent: 3 modification and a gas-vent: 3 accessory at the same time.

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 6 2012, 02:18 AM) *
Can you combine an integral gas vent with a barrel accessory for added effect though?

No. Even if it didn't say you can't have a modification and an accessory of the same type, it is also explicitly forbidden on Arsenal, page 148. "Recoil compensation from a gas-vent system is not cumulative with that from any other gas-vent system."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012