Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voice Control adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
The voice control power has some extreme abilities in it due to how it is written.

The adept can raise his voice to the level of possible human hearing.

1. Thats about 200+ decibels
2. At 194 decibels the matter/ organs that makes up your eardrum dies.
3. At 160 decibels the sound can cause embolism
4. Your voice can shatter most kinds of glass - including goggles, camera lenses, armored glass, vehicle windows.
5. Permanent hearing loss at 130-150 decibels.
6. Throw your voice bod*2 meters
7. Mimic anything
8. Combine it with commanding voice so people can hear you.

All that fun for 0.5 points

Just make sure you and your friends have sound dampening and/or select sound filter.
pbangarth
Well, while the description ...

This allows the adept to mask her voice and imitate sounds within the normal range of metahuman vocalization (i.e, no infrasound or ultrasound), including mimicking the voices of others.

... uses examples of frequency range, volume range of "normal range of metahuman vocalization" might not be as destructive as you suggest.
Yerameyahu
Agreed: it seems to be talking about frequency, not intensity, and 200dB is clearly not 'normal vocalization'.

Where does Bod*meters enter into this, btw? smile.gif Ventriloquism is much more about stagecraft than science.
The Jopp
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 5 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Well, while the description ...

... uses examples of frequency range, volume range of "normal range of metahuman vocalization" might not be as destructive as you suggest.

You might be correct, but at the same time it says the adept can raise his/her volume as well.

Normal metahuman vocalization means that they can indeed perform a high enough tone of voice to crack glass - just not kill people.

Could be more destructive if we add a Vocal Range Enhancer and Extended Volume for the lungs.

Vocal Ranges:

Soprano: C4 – C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 – A5
Contralto: F3 – F5
Tenor: C3 – C5
Baritone: F2 – F4
Bass: E2 – E4

A tone with Vocal Range Enhancer could be very, very loud indeed and perhaps be even higher than a C6 tone.

EDIT: The highest known human Decibel scream is apparently around 130DB and highest note is apparently around a G10 note whistle.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 5 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Agreed: it seems to be talking about frequency, not intensity, and 200dB is clearly not 'normal vocalization'.

Where does Bod*meters enter into this, btw? smile.gif Ventriloquism is much more about stagecraft than science.

The adept power means you can throw your voice BOD x2 meters away unlike normal stagecraft Ventriloquism that is far more limited.
Yerameyahu
Oh, it's specified in the power? I thought you were giving a list of implications that you'd derived, that's all. Cool.
Ryu
I´d say give it a damage code and range that does not exempt the "emitter".
CanRay
Why do I get the feeling that a Trog Rock Frontman would have this just to get into the Guinness Book of World Records as the Loudest Band In The World?

(They stopped trying to monitor that record, BTW, to prevent hearing loss.).
Sid Nitzerglobin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 5 2012, 01:07 PM) *
Why do I get the feeling that a Trog Rock Frontman would have this just to get into the Guinness Book of World Records as the Loudest Band In The World?

You'd almost have to watch the show from orbit.. wink.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 5 2012, 08:07 PM) *

Hearing loss is a given at that point. Should you get a willing live crowd, cherish them.
StealthSigma
Volume and loudness are not the same thing as decibels.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 5 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Vocal Ranges:

Soprano: C4 – C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 – A5
Contralto: F3 – F5
Tenor: C3 – C5
Baritone: F2 – F4
Bass: E2 – E4

A Coloratura Soprano (suitable for roles such as Die Königin der Nacht from Die Zauberflöte, Mimì from La bohème, or Olympia from Les contes d'Hoffmann) should be able to reach F6 with ease - in fact, Les contes d'Hoffmann demands a G6. And then there is the soprano acuto sfogato, who can exceed F6 with ease.

At the other end of the scale, a Basso Profondo is expected to reach a D2.

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 5 2012, 12:07 PM) *

I didn't know that Spınal Tap's David St. Hubbins goblinized.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 5 2012, 11:07 AM) *

That is totally awesome for an idea. Now I have to make a troll rocker.
Christian Lafay
So it will be the band from Hitchhiker's Guide? The one you have to listen to miles away while completely encased in cement?
Sid Nitzerglobin
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Oct 5 2012, 09:45 PM) *
So it will be the band from Hitchhiker's Guide? The one you have to listen to miles away while completely encased in cement?

Exactly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012