Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Command rigger vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Strungest
I am making an command rigger, and would like to know if I am making any massive mistakes with my vehicles. The focus is mostly on surveillance, with some Rotodrones that can also fight if needed. The idea is that he stays in the fast car and commands the drones/suv from a distance. Any recomendations?

== Vehicles ==
Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly (Minidrone)
+Additional Fuel Tank
+Chameleon Coating
+Improved Sensor Array
+Improved Takeoff and Landing Level 2
+Satellite Communication
+Small Drone Sensor
+Ultrawideband Radar Rating 4
+Camera Rating 1 [Vision Enhancement 3]
+Microphone Rating 1 [Audio Enhancement 3]
+Targeting (Close Combat) Rating 4
+Copy Protection Rating 4
+Registration

4 x Ford LEBD-1 (Medium)
+Additional Fuel Tank
+Armor, Normal Rating 9
+Chameleon Coating
+Mechanical Arm
+Satellite Communication
+Weapon Mount (Normal, External, Fixed, Remote)
+Medium Drone Sensor
+Camera Rating 3 [Low Light, Thermographic, Vision Magnification]
+Microphone Rating 1
+Laser Range Finder

GMC Hermes Van (Delivery Van)
+Amenities, Middle
+Anti-Theft
+Armor, Concealed Rating 10
+Chameleon Coating
+Drone Rack, Small Landing
+Drone Rack, Small Landing
+Morphing License Plate
+Run Flat Tires Rating 1
+Satellite Communication
+Smuggling Compartment, Normal
+Spoof Chip
+Valkyrie Module
+Vehicle Tag Eraser
+Vehicle Sensor
+Camera Rating 2 [Low Light, Thermographic]

Mercedes CLK 170T
+Amenities, Middle
+Anti-Theft
+Anti-Theft
+Armor, Concealed Rating 10
+Chameleon Coating
+Engine Customization, Acceleration
+Engine Customization, Acceleration
+Engine Customization, Speed
+Metahuman Adjustment
+Morphing License Plate
+Passenger Protection Rating 2
+Run Flat Tires Rating 1
+Satellite Communication
+Spoof Chip
+Vehicle Tag Eraser
+Vehicle Sensor
+Camera Rating 2 [Low Light, Thermographic]

Shiawase Kanmushi (Microdrone)
+Chameleon Coating
+Gecko Tips
+Gecko Tips
+Improved Sensor Array
+Satellite Communication
+Minidrone Sensor
Iduno
A good ECCM program is probably a good idea, even with the satelite communications. You may also want a cheap drone with a retransmission unit for indoor surveillance. Wifi inhibiting paint is cheap enough to be common.

It also looks like a few things got put in twice on your Mercedes.
Seriously Mike
Maneuver autosoft doesn't hurt.
KarmaInferno
Remember that you can only actively be rigging one drone at a time. The rest will be in autonomous mode, so invest in good Pilot programs and Fuzzy Logic.

Also, seconded on the Retrans drones. Get a dozen. And equip all your drones with laser and microwave comms so they're much harder to hack when they have line of sight to you and each other.

-k
UmaroVI
Yeah, as a Command rigger, you want one Commanding drone of each type (for which you don't care about Pilot, autosofts, or Response), and after that your drones need to be able to work autonomously. Four rotodrones that will go MY ROFLCOPTER GOES DERP DERP DERP when you aren't commanding them because they have no autosofts, no fuzzy logic, and unupgraded pilot isn't as useful as one rotodrone for you to command and one other that's actually good autonomously.
Strungest
I think I used the wrong word. ALL of the drones will be using their pilot programs, the character will just be directing them . Also I have a software package that every drone will get a cracked copy of.
Neraph
You may find my Vehicles, Drones, and Agents thread useful. You may also want a TacNet and to put some Smartlinks on those attack drones. Here's my common sensor layout:

Standard
[ Spoiler ]
_Pax._
TacNet, Telematics Infrastructure, and Tactical Sattelite Mapping. Put the three together, with a network of drones, and experience pure information bliss.
Udoshi
Telematics Infrastructure is my secret weapon when I'm playing a hacker. The no-test trace without a 50-meter-variation is awesome.
You need really wide coverage for it to be effective, though.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Strungest @ Oct 11 2012, 12:59 PM) *
I am making an command rigger, and would like to know if I am making any massive mistakes with my vehicles. The focus is mostly on surveillance, with some Rotodrones that can also fight if needed. The idea is that he stays in the fast car and commands the drones/suv from a distance. Any recomendations?

== Vehicles ==
Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly (Minidrone)
+Additional Fuel Tank
+Chameleon Coating
+Improved Sensor Array
+Satellite Communication
+Small Drone Sensor
+Camera Rating 1 [Vision Enhancement 3]
+Targeting (Close Combat) Rating 4
+Copy Protection Rating 4
+Registration

If you really want to improve the capabilities of this, increase the matrix ratings as well. Those are 0 slot mods. Gets expensive fast, but adds dice directly to multiple tests. If using for surveillance, add clearsight, covert ops autosofts. Maybe Chaser too. Less important if you are always running it jumped in, but with multiple drones, most of them are going to be running from pilot most of the time. If the drone is driving itself some of the time, Maneuver autosoft. Defense autosoft so it can defend itself when you are not jumped in. If the surveillance is to include wireless, Electronic Warfare autosoft. Plus sniffer and maybe some other standard matrix programs like decrypt. Even without trying to watch wireless, Electronic Warfare and ECCM so you do not get jammed too easily. Encrypt to make it harder for someone else to watch your communication with the drone.
Neraph
Learn to slave electronics. Slave your drones to your command drone, which is then slaved to your 'link, and make sure your 'link is unhackable as possible (you can start with Response 5 and Firewall/System 6. If you take Hardware, you can make R6 components right as the game begins and get a maxed-out non-milspec comm right then and there. Or you can be a Technomancer and only be hackable by other TMs). SatComms are your friend - if the enemy hacker's signal can't reach yours then he can't hack your drones.
Modular Man
Another tip:
If you're playing with "Unwired", you may want to purchase/download cracked programs. Yes, they require upkeep. But imagine, you only have to buy autosofts, programs and pilot programs once rather than one sample for every drone. Well, each drone model requires its own pilot program, but even that is not as bad if you use a lot of drones of the same name.
Really, software can be the cheap part of a multi-drone network.
If I understand you correctly, you want to use the command program to remote-control your drones. Optimization helps a lot there, both the program option and the commlink modification. The former will let you run a command program rating 6 on any node that has at least a system rating of 3. The latter will give you one extra die to almost any check you make with the drones.

As for your actual build-up:
Satellite communication is a "Standard" vehicle mod, so neither mini- nor microdrones can take it.
Neraph is right about the sensor payload for vehicles. This will raise the sensor ratings of the vehicles/drones to a rating of 6, if I'm not mistaken. You may have to cut out a few things to make it suitable for minidrones, though, and even more so for microdrones.

I like this way of controlling drones. Eats up initiative passes really quickly, though.
Neraph
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Oct 14 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Another tip:
If you're playing with "Unwired", you may want to purchase/download cracked programs. Yes, they require upkeep. But imagine, you only have to buy autosofts, programs and pilot programs once rather than one sample for every drone. Well, each drone model requires its own pilot program, but even that is not as bad if you use a lot of drones of the same name.

Freeware is more fun if you don't mind buggy R4 programs. Also, if you can get a Replicate autosoft you'd only need to buy one Pilot program and it could copy itself onto the other drones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012