Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The dutch art hiest, a shadowrun job?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
so yeah, look it up, seems like a pro shadowrun group would do somhting like this lol,
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 17 2012, 04:39 PM) *
so yeah, look it up, seems like a pro shadowrun group would do somhting like this lol,

This Dutch Art Heist, or the one from some years ago, at the Van Gogh museum?
Raiden
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Oct 18 2012, 12:02 AM) *
This Dutch Art Heist, or the one from some years ago, at the Van Gogh museum?

the one that just happened. where the 7 paintings went missing in under 3 minutes.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 17 2012, 10:04 PM) *
the one that just happened. where the 7 paintings went missing in under 3 minutes.

Seven paintings? All I saw listed were a Monet, a Matisse, a Picasso, and a Freud.

Either way, yeah, this is the sort of thing that runners would be good for. This sort of heist strikes me as a 'benefactor' job, since they'll be nearly impossible to fence for a good long while, and they're similar enough (in terms of age, style, and provenance, with obvious outliers in the case of the Freud's age and the Picasso's style (unless it's the earlier, more impressionist "Tete d'Arlequin" and not the later, cubist piece)) that they could all be going into one collection.

Edit: Oh, yeah, there were more than just those mentioned in the article I linked. Yeah, this looks more and more like a run the more I read about it. And funnily enough, this would have been right up my first runner's alley - my GM was so surprised when I explained that, 'No, I didn't take Painting as a Knowledge Skill, I spent BP for a Four in Painting with a Spec in Impressionism.'
Raiden
yeah, might form a run around something similair to this, just make it harder lol. and lol on the edit.
WhiskeyJohnny
Oh, this gets better and better: "Although some of the foundation's works have been on public display in the past, the current exhibition at the Kunsthal was the first time the entire collection had been shown together."

Totally a run.
kzt
Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Stolen Painting?
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archiv...ainting/263682/

"I can't make a blanket statement. But what I can say is, after 20 years of doing these investigations for the FBI, there is a general pattern. And the general pattern is that the criminals who do these jobs, these heists, are good thieves, but they're terrible businessmen. That's what it comes down to."
FuelDrop
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 20 2012, 07:26 AM) *

"I can't make a blanket statement. But what I can say is, after 20 years of doing these investigations for the FBI, there is a general pattern. And the general pattern is that the criminals who do these jobs, these heists, are good thieves, but they're terrible businessmen. That's what it comes down to."

What if I stole it for personal use?
THEY! What if THEY stole it for personal use? *Whistles innocently*
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 19 2012, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 19 2012, 04:32 PM) *
What if I stole it for personal use?
THEY! What if THEY stole it for personal use? *Whistles innocently*

Hence my suspicion that the job was because someone wanted those pieces in particular, rather than being sold to be fenced after the fact. Selling these pieces after they've been stolen is going to bring far more trouble than they're worth. At least, with my personal calculus they would be. But if this was an acquisition for some art lover of questionable moral fiber, then this makes sense.
kzt
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Oct 19 2012, 10:42 PM) *
Hence my suspicion that the job was because someone wanted those pieces in particular, rather than being sold to be fenced after the fact. Selling these pieces after they've been stolen is going to bring far more trouble than they're worth. At least, with my personal calculus they would be. But if this was an acquisition for some art lover of questionable moral fiber, then this makes sense.

Sure, but that isn't what happens. It's pretty much never that. And the art collector doesn't make sense, IIRC, weren't they just the most valuable works?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012