Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead men walking.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
During our last mission my character grabbed a sports rifle and acted overwatch for the group, sniping at several of the enemy as they attacked the facility we were hired to defend. Ammunition of choice was security tracker rounds...

I only hit each target once before switching to the next one, allowing me to tag three out of four of the attackers without dropping any of them outright. It didn't matter, as they suddenly had big AR bulls-eyes painted across their chests for my teammates to see... not good when your strategy revolved around chameleon suits and smoke grenades!

needless to say they didn't get far, but I have to ask: do you think I would have been better off if I'd simply have concentrated my fire to take down 1 or 2 targets?
StealthSigma
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 18 2012, 08:04 AM) *
needless to say they didn't get far, but I have to ask: do you think I would have been better off if I'd simply have concentrated my fire to take down 1 or 2 targets?

No. My philosophy is that will all long-range fire support weapons you do not shoot a target a second time until there are no uninjured targets remaining.

1. Long-range fire support weapons often have the damage/penetration to perform a one shot kill, which means that if you're using SA weapons you risk putting a bullet into a corpse (you declare all your actions at the beginning of the pass before resolving).
2. If you don't kill, you're guaranteeing a 2-3 dice wound penalty.
3. RFID tags enhance point #2.
Neraph
I agree. What you did was a very good tactic. It's almost like creating a R1 TacNet on the spot. Putting some pain out on the field is a good tactic exactly for point 2 that StealthSigma stated.
ZeroPoint
Also, speaking in regards to this situation...

Your infiltrators are more likely to be carrying automatics, shotguns, and pistols. Tagged enemies will allow your guys inside to know they are coming and can ready an ambush. And with a tacnet running and the RFID tags in place, you could even toss in some thermal smoke to put it even more in your favor. And if all your targets have been significantly weakened by the time they get inside, then your guy's attacks are more likely to drop enemies in one shot. This means your automatics and shotgun guys will get more mileage from area attacks than normal, and even the guys with pistols will be able to one shot drop enemies.

Of course, this is assuming they are all able to do the same type of damage as you did.
Lantzer
I'd have to wonder about the infiltrators in that scenario.

Personally, if 75% of my team have just been shot, I'd scrub the mission and get the flock out of there at top speed, as obviously it's been blown and stealth from here on is useless. Joe there is bleeding all over his chameleon suit.

FuelDrop
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Oct 19 2012, 03:41 AM) *
I'd have to wonder about the infiltrators in that scenario.

Personally, if 75% of my team have just been shot, I'd scrub the mission and get the flock out of there at top speed, as obviously it's been blown and stealth from here on is useless. Joe there is bleeding all over his chameleon suit.

Well to be fair I only managed to tag 75% of the guys that I SAW, rather than 75% of their entire force. Also, since I was sniping guys as they came down zip lines it's not like they could really just turn back.
Krishach
This was still an excellent tactic. Bottom line: neutralize the enemies biggest advantage against you. This is better than a single sure kill always. Beautifully played.
Daddy's Little Ninja
No. wounded people are really unlikely to stay in the fight so sending extra bullets into someone already out of it would waste time and ammo. Some one knowing he faces death for sure if hit, will become more determined to keep going.
Leaving a pile of DEAD bodies instead of WOUNDED people will make the authorities view you much more harshly.
Dead people might be avanged. A wounded person can recover and might repay your kindness one day.
Byrel
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 19 2012, 01:29 PM) *
Dead people might be avanged. A wounded person can recover and might repay your kindness one day.

Aye. Or pay you back in blood... Nothing says they aren't vindictive.
Lantzer
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 18 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Well to be fair I only managed to tag 75% of the guys that I SAW, rather than 75% of their entire force. Also, since I was sniping guys as they came down zip lines it's not like they could really just turn back.

Tee Hee! Nobody fell, I suppose? Evil GM that I am, I'd have been making rolls.
Lantzer
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 18 2012, 09:47 PM) *

Another thought - I hope you at least had a chat with the survivors about why using ruthenium suits on a zip line isn't very helpful.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Oct 21 2012, 08:47 AM) *
Another thought - I hope you at least had a chat with the survivors about why using ruthenium suits on a zip line isn't very helpful.

What survivors? my team consider a fully automatic shotgun the subtle option.
Raiden
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 20 2012, 08:51 PM) *
What survivors? my team consider a fully automatic shotgun the subtle option.

try out the MMG I made as a semo subtle weapon.. lol

Edit: never used it, on any char. just wanted to make it lol.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 21 2012, 09:04 AM) *
try out the MMG I made as a semo subtle weapon.. lol

Edit: never used it, on any char. just wanted to make it lol.

Fair enough. I think it's just one of those things everyone does eventually, like making a Wolverine clone and a damage soak troll cyberadept.
Raiden
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 20 2012, 09:07 PM) *
Fair enough. I think it's just one of those things everyone does eventually, like making a Wolverine clone and a damage soak troll cyberadept.

I have made a troll tank yes... 60 dice to resist bullets and the like bwhahaha. have yet to make a wolverine.... dam you, must get back to my labtop now >.>
Neraph
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 20 2012, 08:09 PM) *
I have made a troll tank yes... 60 dice to resist bullets and the like bwhahaha. have yet to make a wolverine.... dam you, must get back to my labtop now >.>

Only 60?
Raiden
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 24 2012, 08:29 PM) *
Only 60?

dear god...
Krishach
I know this is opening a can of worms here, but I'm not sure how that is even possible in a buildpoint system without having more karma than BP.
tsuyoshikentsu
You can do something like 25/25 with armor alone, and I did that before War! and Attitude. Real power in this game is achieved by knowing the gear list very, very well.
Neraph
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 25 2012, 01:27 AM) *
You can do something like 25/25 with armor alone, and I did that before War! and Attitude. Real power in this game is achieved by knowing the gear list very, very well.

You can get 24/24 with cyberware alone, IIRC. Full body replacement with maxed out cyber armor.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 25 2012, 07:35 PM) *
You can get 24/24 with cyberware alone, IIRC. Full body replacement with maxed out cyber armor.

Indeed you can. Don't really see a need for it though. *shrug*
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 26 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Indeed you can. Don't really see a need for it though. *shrug*

The reason to do it is to prove it can be done. nothing more, nothing less.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 26 2012, 06:56 AM) *
The reason to do it is to prove it can be done. nothing more, nothing less.

The proof is out there already, so, again, I see no need. smile.gif
Halinn
Ah, the mathematicians answer. There exists a proof, so I don't have to do it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Oct 26 2012, 08:16 AM) *
Ah, the mathematicians answer. There exists a proof, so I don't have to do it.

If the goal is to prove that you can create a character with 24 points of Cyber Armor, then no, I do not have to do it myself. I find such characters dull and extremely boring. I know it can be done, I know how to do it, and have no interest in pursuing it for my own personal gratification. Since Fuel Drop declared the goal as "proof it can be done," then that goal has already been accomplished (more than once). *shrug*
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 26 2012, 09:35 AM) *
If the goal is to prove that you can create a character with 24 points of Cyber Armor, then no, I do not have to do it myself. I find such characters dull and extremely boring. I know it can be done, I know how to do it, and have no interest in pursuing it for my own personal gratification. Since Fuel Drop declared the goal as "proof it can be done," then that goal has already been accomplished (more than once). *shrug*

My point was also to prove that 60 dice to reduce damage is nice, but not excessive.

My characters tend to have 4 Body and 10/9 armor or slightly more. Just because I can squeeze certain numbers out doesn't mean I use them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 26 2012, 08:51 AM) *
My point was also to prove that 60 dice to reduce damage is nice, but not excessive.

My characters tend to have 4 Body and 10/9 armor or slightly more. Just because I can squeeze certain numbers out doesn't mean I use them.

60 Dice for Damage Reduction IS excessive Neraph. *Shakes Head*
tsuyoshikentsu
Assuming exact statistical results (which is, to be fair, completely unrealistic), that's only 20 hits. There are things that do more than 20.

Plus you might be dealing with something that ignores some of those dice for whatever reason. 60 to resist a knife might be excessive, but net 30 to resist a laser might not be.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 26 2012, 11:34 AM) *
Assuming exact statistical results (which is, to be fair, completely unrealistic), that's only 20 hits. There are things that do more than 20.

Plus you might be dealing with something that ignores some of those dice for whatever reason. 60 to resist a knife might be excessive, but net 30 to resist a laser might not be.

Even 30 is Excessive in my opinion. *shrug*
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 26 2012, 11:19 AM) *
60 Dice for Damage Reduction IS excessive Neraph. *Shakes Head*

You and I simply have a fundamental difference of perspective.
Grinder
Ok, let go now - and return to the original topic.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Grinder @ Oct 26 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Ok, let go now - and return to the original topic.

I am not even sure WHAT the original topic is any more... Should probably re-read the topic from the beginning again.
Oh Yeah, spread the love around. don't concentrate fire on any single individual untill all visible targets have been plinked. smile.gif
DenverDoc
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 18 2012, 01:04 PM) *
During our last mission my character grabbed a sports rifle and acted overwatch for the group, sniping at several of the enemy as they attacked the facility we were hired to defend. Ammunition of choice was security tracker rounds...

I only hit each target once before switching to the next one, allowing me to tag three out of four of the attackers without dropping any of them outright. It didn't matter, as they suddenly had big AR bulls-eyes painted across their chests for my teammates to see... not good when your strategy revolved around chameleon suits and smoke grenades!

Generally I think tagging each guy you can is a good idea but, depends on your GM and fellow players. If these guys are all experts and are still going to be throwing 9+ dice at your team after the wound and your techno couldn't dodge his way out of a paper bag then I would say focus on dropping the bad guys one at a time. But if each tag and wound means that the guy runs off, far more realistic, then i say wound the hell out of as many as you can hit. If your players all make savvy characters then it takes a bit of pressure off keeping individuals alive then wounding even tough opponents might be worth your while to just wound and tag em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012