Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about Diagnostics & Proficiency Sprite Powers...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
I've got a few questions about these 2 powers so if I missed something that was in later released errata, feel free to shut me up and point me to a link grinbig.gif

Obviously Diagnostics has come under a lot of scrutiny for Smartlinks since there's no Errata saying yes or no to it but I was curious... What if a Technomancer decided to go the retro-route and use a Commlink. Does a Sprite performing Diagnostics on the Commlink give a teamwork bonus to the person using that Commlink? (Hacking, Controlling Drones, etc.)

Does Diagnostics have to be rolled for every Action you take or is it just rolled once and it grants you the bonus while the power is sustained?

Proficiency also works like Diagnostics if you already have the skill in Question. If Diagnostics can't give you a bonus using your Commlink, would a Tutor Sprite do the trick in the examples above?
Machine Ghost
The way I read the Diagnostics Power information SR4A242, it will provide bonus for using the device. If the device is a commlink, that will NOT give bonuses to running the programs on the commlink. It will help with the interface, but not so much with the inherit capabilities of the device. If the device is a weapon, you get a bonus for pointing and shooting it. Also for interpreting the information supplied by the built in sensors. It will not affect the actual damage done by the loaded ammunition. Ammunition same context as the programs loaded on the commlink.

For the commlink, it will help do things like configure away messages, transfer funds, and things related to the operation of the commlink. The guy that is all thumbs with commlink technology will have an easier time. Which could include the TM, since they do not need commlinks, and seldom use them. Everything just feels so backward rotate.gif

I would expect that a single roll is done for a single device. Move to a different device, new roll. Which might also be a different maximum, since might be a different character skill.

My opinion only, and I am not a GM smile.gif

How Proficiency UW156 works for assisting when the PC already has the appropriate skill is something I am interested in as well. I am just finishing a character build where the profile will included using a tutor sprite and skillsofts a lot, at least in 'downtime'.
Udoshi
I would let a Diagnostics test apply to any situation that Analyze Device would, since its basically worded the same, and has about the same effect. (hits on force= extra dice capped by force), vs hits on teamwork = extra dice, capped by sprite skill because Teamwork tests are like that, which is also the sprites rating).

So its basically a worse form of Analyze Device or Attune Item(metamagic).

Jonny Reload
So basically there's no official answer to these questions or errata anywhere, it's just "Whatever the GM interprets it as?" frown.gif
Udoshi
What, were you expecting a competent company that listens to feedback and rules issues, and releases patches in a timely manner?
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 22 2012, 10:21 AM) *
What, were you expecting a competent company that listens to feedback and rules issues, and releases patches in a timely manner?

Too much to ask for, huh? grinbig.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 22 2012, 05:21 PM) *

Hope won't get outlawed until at least 2017... I hope.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012