Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will a power focus give an adept additional power points?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
almost normal
nuyen.gif
Raiden
pretty sure that is a no, but AFB atm.
Udoshi
Power foci don't raise your magic rating; they simply add to tests in which you roll magic.

If you want to pull power points of of nowhere, you want a Power Pact or to be a Vampire, since those ACTUALLY raise your magic.
Neraph
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 24 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Power foci don't raise your magic rating; they simply add to tests in which you roll magic.

If you want to pull power points of of nowhere, you want a Power Pact or to be a Vampire, since those ACTUALLY raise your magic.

Also the Infusion adept ability, or an Infusion Focus.

Backround Count won't work either.
Jaid
might be remembering wrong (it's been a while), but i think 3rd edition power focus will boost your actual magic? so i guess the answer could also be "depends on edition".
Garvel
The SR4A wording is:
A power focus adds its Force to all tests in which the magician’s Magic is included.

The only use for adepts is that it gives you some bonus dice for tests that involve your magic attribute. For example the adept power Attribute Boost:
To gain the boost, make a Magic + (Attribute Boost) Test. Each hit on this test boosts the attribute by 1.

Considering how expensive a powerfocus is, thats hardly worth it.
Krishach
Garvel has it correct. If it is not worded as a "test," then the foci does not apply. As power points, and many of the adepts functions, are not considered tests, this would not apply. "Mind over Matter" has a similar clause preventing it from being used far less often than you might initially assume it would be.
Xenefungus
...which is why it is only ever used for Logic->Agi conversion frown.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 25 2012, 04:06 AM) *
might be remembering wrong (it's been a while), but i think 3rd edition power focus will boost your actual magic? so i guess the answer could also be "depends on edition".

spot on dude.
but that still does not clear up wether or not an adept would have gotten more power-points from that, or if stuff that works based on magic attribute simply gets stronger . . thast would mean he gets more power-points in a good background count too, in SR3 . .
There was, on the other hand, a specific ADEPT POWER FOCUS which did exactly this, if i remember correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012