Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TM Autosoft complex forms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machine Ghost
Can TM's use autosoft complex forms at all? If so, what conditions and limits?

I would have just said no since regular autosofts are pilot addons, not programs run standalone on a matrix node. Then I ran across a shadowrun character management tool (Chummer) that allowed buying complex forms during character creation. That started me thinking, then I hit a reference in the Proficiency sprite power UW156 about "similar to a medkit's autodoc program or an autosoft for humans". So how could this work?

TM runs cascading UW113 (agent) autosoft in bionode, getting increasing dice pools in cybercombat?
TM runs covert ops UW114 (drone) autosoft in bionode, using covert op rating instead of or in addition to infiltration skill?
TM runs covert ops (drone) autosoft in bionode, while jumped into drone, getting above benefit?
TM runs covert ops (drone) autosoft in the node/pilot of a drone that is subscribed but not jumped in?
The [Profession] autosoft UW114 looks interesting here. A very flexibal alternative to skillsofts, especially with threading.
QUOTE (Neo)
Do you know how to fly that thing?
QUOTE (Trinity)
Not Yet

Or given that threading is a free action
QUOTE (technomancer)
IGA:Thread Profession[Pilot Aircraft] autosoft, Say,
I do now

SpellBinder
AFAIK, no, TMs can't use autosofts. With the biowire echo, and a copy of a skillsoft they can thread that skillsoft with a maximum rating of their submersion grade (example, submersion 2 and a rating 3 skillsoft nets a maximum threaded skillsoft rating of 2). While sustaining said skillsoft, a TM can spend karma equal to the rating (plus number of options, if any) they were able to thread it at to memorize it and make it a permanent complex form. I do believe that a TM is prevented from using Edge on these skill checks, and they cannot spend karma to improve a memorized skillsoft (but can thread an improved one and memorize it all the same).
Krishach
nope: technomancers cannot use complex forms for autosofts, since they are not final applications. Sprites are the equivalency (sorta), and is all they get.

QUOTE (SR4a pg 239)
Agents, IC, and autosofts may not be learned or used by technomancers.

That's about as explicit as it gets. Now, that's under COMPLEX FORMS section, so it's then a GM call if this applies only to complex forms, or whether this line is taken with no context as a final law that they can NEVER use autosofts. Personally, since technomancers can use "retro" skills for programming, I don't see why not, but in either case, they are clearly a no-go for complex forms.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Krishach @ Oct 24 2012, 10:47 PM) *
nope: technomancers cannot use complex forms for autosofts, since they are not final applications. Sprites are the equivalency (sorta), and is all they get.
QUOTE (SR4a pg 239)
Agents, IC, and autosofts may not be learned or used by technomancers.

That's about as explicit as it gets. Now, that's under COMPLEX FORMS section, so it's then a GM call if this applies only to complex forms, or whether this line is taken with no context as a final law that they can NEVER use autosofts. Personally, since technomancers can use "retro" skills for programming, I don't see why not, but in either case, they are clearly a no-go for complex forms.

Now that's what a like to see smile.gif A RAW reference to quote. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012