Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd character idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
While toiling for the megacorps today I got to thinking (fortunately my supervisor was in a different area or I'd probably have been shot!): 'What about a medieval soldier type character transplanted into shadowrun? We have archery skills, swords, shields, even chain mail armour, after all.'

So I said to myself: 'I say FuelDrop, how could such a thing occur?'
'The crash 2.0 old chap. some poor sod was playing their favorite character in elder scrolls XXVI when the crash occurred and the character woke up instead of the player.' I answered.
'FuelDrop, you do realize you're talking to yourself? It is the first sign of madness, remember.'
'Naturally, but since my last three therapists have ended up in the asylum maybe it's better if I just keep this to myself.'
'You've only had one therapist.'
'And the others I imagined...'

Leaving aside my growing (and self-aware) insanity for one moment, I wanted to ask my fellow dumpshockers what they think of this idea. Most importantly:
1) Does this fit with the lore? I'm not entirely up on the crash 2.0, so this might not even be possible.
2) What kind of character should the PC originally be?
3) What kind of character should the player have been?
4) What am I missing?
Elfenlied
Interesting character concept!

1) If the MMO in question used something similar to Personafix software (e.g. it was an "RP-Server"), then the crash might have made the Personafix permanent, which in turn would lead to the kind of personality disorder you described.

2) If you want something fun, have it be a Paladin! Make it a Mystic Adept with a sword weapon focus, Full Plate Armor, and some combat oriented adept powers plus the following spells: Heal, Detect Enemies, Cure Disease and Compel Truth. Roleplay him with a british accent nyahnyah.gif

3) I'd say either a hardcore RP person, who would willingly subject himself to Personafixes in order to stay "in character", or a wageslave working as a Gamemaster, who was "encouraged" to use said fix.

4) No idea
Tias
1) Unwired specifically opens for "ghosts in the machine" and AI characters, I don't see why this should be wrong by the rules as written.

2/3) See, this is where it gets tricky. If a character made in an RPG, or a character written for an RPG, comes alive, it would probably be as an AI, growing out of a media sub-routine. This could be hard to play, as the character may not understand why it cannot physically harm those that crosses it. Then again, being jostled by the homicidal ghost of Sauron coming from inside your coffee maker = priceless.

I'd probably go with a physical character who was a hardcore RPG gamer when in life, and we do talk hardcore. Hardcore like suppressing his own ID and personality when playing with psychotropic routines, going like that for days on end till he barely remember who he was coming back to - and putting as much into his sim-rig as he got back!

The crash would easily flatline his weak, transitory personality, and his shell would entice RPG-like subroutines or media thanks to the "background" present there.

If he was already awakened, then maybe the new character would be awakened, though a "possessed" AIPS case like this might well find it hard to initiate and grow as magic-user in general.

Other than that, I'd think all metatypes (that can use the matrix), backgrounds and so on are completely acceptable.

MADness
While not the same, I had an idea for a spike baby elf born who fell into a coma just before the awakening. He some how managed to survive both crashes, while comatose, and is awoken by a team of runners on an unrelated job.
mister__joshua
I think this would be funny if you made the character and the original player completely at odds. Maybe the person is a small, physically weak nerdy guy while his character (who he now beleives himself to be) is an axe wielding barbarian.

Either that or the character was a party 'healer', only in life he has no magical abilities and can't understand why he can't patch people up in under 5 seconds, why defbrilating people on the legs doesn't magically make them come back to life, and why just throwing a medkit down next to someone doesn't help them much (The last 2 are Battlefield references nyahnyah.gif)
Midas
Interesting idea, but the knight in shining armour sounds a bit clunky and distinctive for the shadows. Character doesn't have to be a knight, could just as easily be a ninja or something else entirely.

As a slightly different flavour, I thought about making an ex-hacker whizzkid who was in the Renraku Arcology at the time of the crash. He was in a coma for 6 months, but when he woke he claimed he had communed with an AI and it had told him the secrets of the universe.

Bare bones:
Global fame (within the hacker community / his followers). Trust Fund possible, but not necessary (if his philosophy eschews materialism, hacker chique)
Group contact for the followers, Connection 6 contact for the AI.
High Elf Cha, Influence Group
High hacking skill, high Edge
Perhaps Technomancer or Hacker Adept, but doable as a pure vanilla mundane

Black leather Lined coat, Gothic attire, preaches virtual hellfire and damnation ...
Tias
QUOTE (Midas @ Nov 8 2012, 05:41 PM) *
Interesting idea, but the knight in shining armour sounds a bit clunky and distinctive for the shadows. Character doesn't have to be a knight, could just as easily be a ninja or something else entirely.

As a slightly different flavour, I thought about making an ex-hacker whizzkid who was in the Renraku Arcology at the time of the crash. He was in a coma for 6 months, but when he woke he claimed he had communed with an AI and it had told him the secrets of the universe.

Bare bones:
Global fame (within the hacker community / his followers). Trust Fund possible, but not necessary (if his philosophy eschews materialism, hacker chique)
Group contact for the followers, Connection 6 contact for the AI.
High Elf Cha, Influence Group
High hacking skill, high Edge
Perhaps Technomancer or Hacker Adept, but doable as a pure vanilla mundane

Black leather Lined coat, Gothic attire, preaches virtual hellfire and damnation ...

Tell me you played this at some point, it sounds fucking terrifying!
Udoshi
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Nov 8 2012, 04:47 AM) *
3) I'd say either a hardcore RP person, who would willingly subject himself to Personafixes in order to stay "in character", or a wageslave working as a Gamemaster, who was "encouraged" to use said fix.

Read the shot chapter intro fiction 'The BTL Scene' on Attitude 76.
It involves a malicious simsense/brainwashing program being run on the sly by ArcadiumOnline.

Probably worth stealing for ideas.

Also the gang entry for Chaos Engine in Vice 127 - this is the kind of crap those guys would do for fun, or even to test out 'new hacks' to see if they work for shits and giggles.
annachie
Of course the character could just be nuts?

A traumatic event like being jacked into a nightmare like the crash, could cause him to have a psychotic break and take on an RPG characters personality.
Especially if he goes from a nobody to his fantasy big time hero.

Add in latent mystical adept and the paladin could come to life. (Screams distinctive style nega quality with the sword and armour) Or go a touch Highlander for a slightly more modern look.

Babylon 5, A Late Delivery from Avalon, could be fun inspiration.

Or for a slightly weirder bent, Whisper, (A fanfic story for the Whateley Academy, an online original Web Novel Shared Universe about the fictional Whateley Academy, a school for Mutants nestled in scenic Dunwich, New Hampshire. )
[ Spoiler ]
MADness
I just realized that I didn't actually comment on the subject at hand. I second the crazy angle. People always underestimate just how powerful crazy can be. Do some realworld research on similar events. Then you just play crazy.
Midas
QUOTE (Tias @ Nov 8 2012, 07:26 PM) *
Tell me you played this at some point, it sounds fucking terrifying!

Unfortunately, no. I only GM these days ... But yeah, cheers for the thumbs up. I thought it would be a great concept, feel free to steal him for an NPC or a villain ...
pbangarth
You might consider the Negative Quality Amnesia (1), to help justify forgetting the past life completely. That way you don't have to incorporate the 'personality transfer' ... unless the GM wants it. grinbig.gif Part of the story could be finding out whether the character actually is a new person.

I used this for a PC of mine, who believes he is a fallen angel from the host of Ahura Mazda, the Zoroastrian deity. The truth is up to the GM.

Neraph
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Nov 8 2012, 04:47 AM) *
Interesting character concept!

1) If the MMO in question used something similar to Personafix software (e.g. it was an "RP-Server"), then the crash might have made the Personafix permanent, which in turn would lead to the kind of personality disorder you described.

2) If you want something fun, have it be a Paladin! Make it a Mystic Adept with a sword weapon focus, Full Plate Armor, and some combat oriented adept powers plus the following spells: Heal, Detect Enemies, Cure Disease and Compel Truth. Roleplay him with a british accent nyahnyah.gif

4) No idea

A Late Delivery From Avalon. The Wiki page synopsis. I wish there were a more direct way to show you what I mean, but try to watch the full episode if you can - it is definitely worth it.

EDIT:
QUOTE (annachie @ Nov 8 2012, 04:59 PM) *
Of course the character could just be nuts?

A traumatic event like being jacked into a nightmare like the crash, could cause him to have a psychotic break and take on an RPG characters personality.
Especially if he goes from a nobody to his fantasy big time hero.

Add in latent mystical adept and the paladin could come to life. (Screams distinctive style nega quality with the sword and armour) Or go a touch Highlander for a slightly more modern look.

Babylon 5, A Late Delivery from Avalon, could be fun inspiration.

Or for a slightly weirder bent, Whisper, (A fanfic story for the Whateley Academy, an online original Web Novel Shared Universe about the fictional Whateley Academy, a school for Mutants nestled in scenic Dunwich, New Hampshire. )
[ Spoiler ]

NINJA'D!
annachie
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 9 2012, 04:39 PM) *
NINJA'D!

It's the Fast food training smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tias @ Nov 8 2012, 01:12 PM) *
Then again, being jostled by the homicidal ghost of Sauron coming from inside your coffee maker = priceless.

Toaster...Fallout 3 - Old World Blues... grinbig.gif
Lionhearted
What if... Not only does he believe himself to be a great rpg hero, but he's also inherently bound to RPG principles in a very meta sense?
"How can we trust him? he might be chaotic evil!"
"Uhm, that is not among my dialogue options"
"Don't worry he'll respawn, all NPCs do!"
"Why doesn't this map have a quick travel button?"
Stahlseele
Permanent PersonaFix BTL?
Something like one of those Bunraku-Puppets, but not made for fucking around but for bloodsports?
Lionhearted
Suddenly I got an urge to watch the running man
The Big Peat
I've gotta say, this idea looks like the best type of badwrongFun to me.

I'd be tempted to run it with the twist that he's gone so far round the bend that he believes the history of Morrowind (or take your other pick) is actually the real history of the world that has been concealed in an attempt to hide the glorious heritage of the Elven race.

In particular telling Orks that they're in fact twisted Elves, tortured by a mad demon, should go down a hoot.
Neraph
QUOTE (The Big Peat @ Nov 9 2012, 12:09 PM) *
I've gotta say, this idea looks like the best type of badwrongFun to me.

I'd be tempted to run it with the twist that he's gone so far round the bend that he believes the history of Morrowind (or take your other pick) is actually the real history of the world that has been concealed in an attempt to hide the glorious heritage of the Elven race.

In particular telling Orks that they're in fact twisted Elves, tortured by a mad demon, should go down a hoot.

Love it. Love it so much I'm building it as a character-in-waiting. And I'm going to go play Skyrim now.
annachie
I was thinking about the nega qualities for this type of character concept.

Delusional. Well, chances are the character is so why not take it.
Amnesia(past). Seems to fit.
Distinctive style. All that thee'ing and thou'ing with the plate armour and a long sword. Kind of distinctive. Could also work with most other themes. (I like the idea of screaming "There can be only one" every time the guy faces another swordsman)
In debt. Just a small one. Combined with Amnesia and it's just being nice to the GM really. ("How coudst I owe thee monies, thy countenance is unfamiliar to mine eyes") smokin.gif

Neraph
Negative Qualities that would fit:
Simsense Vertigo.
SINner (5 or 10).
Spirit Bane.
Amnesia (10 works best, IMHO).
Distinctive Style (as stated above).
Enemy.
Flashbacks (especially good when combined with Amnesia).
Prejudiced (to fit whatever RPG the character is burned with).
Signature.
Wanted.
Delusion.
Hallucinations.
Multiple Personality Disorder.
Cursed.
Geas.
FuelDrop
'Well old chap, there seems to be a good bit of interest about this concept'
'Yes there is... hang on, you shouldn't be talking to me.'
'I suppose not, but as long as no-one finds out about it it's alright.'
'Really?'
'Indeed. Are you planning on telling them about some of the ideas you've had on the subject yourself?'
'I suppose I probably should. Ok everyone, here are some of the things I was toying with:
1) Having the transfer happen during the crash 2.0, so the character has somewhat adjusted to the "real world" by the time play starts.
2) Escapist character who's the polar opposite of the original player: I was thinking along the lines of a Male, Womanizing, Racist Fighter type waking up as a female hacker of the race that he's prejudiced against. Possibly an fantasy orc who's now an elf (because of the longer elf lifespan meaning that amnesia could theoretically mean anything!).
3) I tend to stay away from awakened characters as almost everyone else in the party is awakened, and I like to be different. Anyway, 'ware is cool.'

PS: 'Weren't you going to say it'd be funny for a minmaxed RPG character to wake up in a formally balanced body?'
'Nah, they'll think of that one themselves!'
DenverDoc
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Nov 9 2012, 05:48 PM) *
What if... Not only does he believe himself to be a great rpg hero, but he's also inherently bound to RPG principles in a very meta sense?
"How can we trust him? he might be chaotic evil!"
"Uhm, that is not among my dialogue options"
"Don't worry he'll respawn, all NPCs do!"
"Why doesn't this map have a quick travel button?"

I really like that idea. He can have a custom AR overlay (not needed but would keep him seeing things in character) to help guide him around. Maybe the players actually communicate to him through some sort of rogue agent or AI that translates things into gaming terms for him. Who knows what the rogue programs reasons are for doing this, maybe its carrying out its purpose, maybe it has its own agenda.
The Big Peat
Another thoughts for this character -

Fantasy RPG characters are used to taking potions by the crapload to get them through fights - clearly our crazed hero doesn't mean to go out into the mean streets of the Shadows without a few Cure Light Wounds and Fortify Strength!

Of course, there aren't many potions in Shadowrun. But there are drugs.

Lots and lots of drugs! love.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (The Big Peat @ Nov 10 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Of course, there aren't many potions in Shadowrun. But there are drugs.

There's a difference?!?
The Big Peat
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 10 2012, 10:56 AM) *
There's a difference?!?

Well clearly not to this guy, no!

But in the eyes of those around him...?
Stahlseele
Also, there ARE potions in shadowrun . .
You can enchant drinkables to have a certain effect on the drinker . .
Neraph
Anchoring for the win!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012