Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Future Muscle Replacement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Miri
I'm not sure that using candle wax is all that great an idea, but you have to start somewhere I guess.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2...ificial-muscles
Neraph
Nifty. Or thrifty. Whichever.
SpellBinder
Looks like it's a different principle than how myomer is described to work. Interesting.
DamHawke
I can already see the warning labels:

*Drones not intended for use on bright sunny days*
tsuyoshikentsu
Cool idea. Costs too much of my soul, though.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 22 2012, 10:25 AM) *
Cool idea. Costs too much of my soul, though.

If I can't conjure spirits, mindrape people, run up walls or influence computers with my mind by the end of the year, chances are I won't care about my soul anyway nyahnyah.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Nov 22 2012, 12:04 PM) *
If I can't conjure spirits, mindrape people, run up walls or influence computers with my mind by the end of the year, chances are I won't care about my soul anyway nyahnyah.gif

Personally, I'm waiting another 6 months or so (in case they gave us inaccurate information) before I chop off an arm and scoop out my eyes. Cyberware will hit the market right away, right? Right?!
mister__joshua
Looking at different breakthroughs and news bits over the years, I personally don't think we're too far off fully functioning synthetic limbs. There was that chip a guy put in his wrist that mirrored his movements onto a robot arm so the tech is there for nerves controlling robotics. I think it's more likely just bringing it together, and the legal issues of having people with mechanical arms that surpass real ones (and this alone will take years to sort out).
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 22 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Personally, I'm waiting another 6 months or so (in case they gave us inaccurate information) before I chop off an arm and scoop out my eyes. Cyberware will hit the market right away, right? Right?!

Assuming, of course, that worthwhile 'ware will be available.

QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Nov 22 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Looking at different breakthroughs and news bits over the years, I personally don't think we're too far off fully functioning synthetic limbs. There was that chip a guy put in his wrist that mirrored his movements onto a robot arm so the tech is there for nerves controlling robotics. I think it's more likely just bringing it together, and the legal issues of having people with mechanical arms that surpass real ones (and this alone will take years to sort out).

If it makes certain sports less of a farce than they currently are (*cough*wrestling*cough*), I'm all for it. Just imagine this happening with raptor cyberlegs.
Halinn
I can't wait for the time to arrive when we'll all be watching the paralympics instead, because now they'll be the ones setting world records all the time.
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Nov 22 2012, 02:55 PM) *

The biggest problem is the energy consumption of artficial limbs - no one wants to carry a battery backpack or an explosive fuel-cell to power his new shiny arm longer than a few hours. The rest works quite fine if the use has adapted to his new limb.
Miri
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 22 2012, 10:44 AM) *
The biggest problem is the energy consumption of artficial limbs - no one wants to carry a battery backpack or an explosive fuel-cell to power his new shiny arm longer than a few hours. The rest works quite fine if the use has adapted to his new limb.

Yes, we are a long ways away from the ultra dense batteries of the Shadowrun world frown.gif
Misdemeanor
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 22 2012, 08:44 AM) *

We just need to learn to harness the electrical impulses that travel through the Spin...power issue Solved smile.gif
Misdemeanor
QUOTE (Miri @ Nov 16 2012, 06:56 AM) *
I'm not sure that using candle wax is all that great an idea, but you have to start somewhere I guess.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2...ificial-muscles

This is a really good start to iron underware and Nano fiber armor as well
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Nov 22 2012, 04:04 AM) *
This didn't start until after the Renraku Archology fiasco, IIRC, and the next step of evolution didn't happen until after Crash 2.0, so you've got a lot longer to wait for in this.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 23 2012, 12:44 AM) *

IIRC there was some talk of a generator powered by the human body that could be implanted beneath the skin. Can't remember the details or where I saw it though. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012