Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now much for a Credstick?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
danzig138
So how much does a credstick cost? Not a fake one with a false identity or anything. A legit credstick. Everything I've read just talks about falsified sticks.
Nikoli
I would say it's free of charge from the bank or SIN issueing body.
Backgammon
You cannot, by definition, buy a legit credstick. And just to clarify, it isn't a credstick you are buying, but a fake SIN (data) that is contained in the stick (mini-computer).

The only way to get a Legit SIN is to chose to have one at character creation. There is no cost. It has advantages and disavantages, and also a logical roleplaying aspect. If your parents were SINless, you are SINless. If you were born middle-class happy, you have a legit SIN, etc.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Backgammon)
If you were born middle-class happy, you have a legit SIN, etc.

Or, at least, you had one.
Arethusa
It's still legit and you still have it. Whether you use it or not is another matter entirely.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Arethusa)
It's still legit and you still have it. Whether you use it or not is another matter entirely.

Unless you're considered legally dead or something similar. Then it's no longer legit.
Berzerker
As far as the SR3 main book is concerned, if you choose not to start the game with a valid SIN, you either never had one or its been destroyed/removed/marked dead/etc. I dont think they wanted to limit a characters background based on whether or not the character wanted to avoid having a SIN.
danzig138
I think I phrased my question poorly. Let's say a character starts with a SIN. Completely on the record and legit. And let's say he starts with a Silver credstick. How does he go about upgrading to a Gold or Platinum credstick? Does he just go to the bank and say "Hey, can I swap this Silver credstick for a Gold?" Does the bank automatically issue him a new, higher level stick when his funds reach a certain level? Or is he stuck with a Silver for life?
danzig138
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I would say it's free of charge from the bank or SIN issueing body.

So you think it's free, but do you think the bank or issuing body would have any requirements, or could any Joe off the street come in and get a new credstick on his account?
Also, if a credstick is stolen, what kind of hoops would someone have to go through to get it replaced?
Arethusa
I would imagine the same kinds of hoops you have to go through to get things straightened out after credit card theft. If there are any purchases, you're looking at at least 4 months of an investigation, etc.

As for Joe Runner, assuming he has no outstanding warrants for his arrest, he should be fine at the bank.
Connor
The credstick issued by his bank is related to the size of the accounts he has with the bank. If he has a small time account with only a few thousand nuyen in it ever, he'll have a standard credstick, but if he's a high-roller with millions of nuyen, he'll hae the ebony credstick with all the security features, etc.

At least, that's how I've come to understand it, and I can't recall seeing anything going against that interpretation
Berzerker
From the Neo-Anarchists' Guide to Real Life p 82:

Banks issue credsticks based on complex calculations involving the account owner's credit history and projected average daily balance.

Doesnt sound like it costs anything, its just that "you've already been approved for our super plus plus double good ebony credstick!"
danzig138
Cool. Thanks.
Lilt
You can also get certified credsticks which are the equivalent of hard cash. As per SR3, P239, Banks will create certified credsticks for a "small percentage". Take that "small percentage" to be what you want.

I'd probably say something like 1% but have a minimum charge of 50 nuyen (enough to pay for the credstick itself, plus a little) so that you don't waste the bank's time and they don't lose money from people who order 1000 1-nuyen credsticks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012