Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool concept car with SR feel to it
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pbangarth
LINK
Tanegar
I particularly like the spandex-clad lady cop in the last image. Yes, officer!
pbangarth
I thought that might go over well here.
Seriously Mike
Looks like a squashed G-Klasse.
hermit
It looks like a G-Klasse that tries to be a H2. Like some kind of infant monster truck. Now, this or at least, this ...
Tanegar
QUOTE (hermit @ Nov 27 2012, 09:55 AM) *

DO WANT.

That looks like something an African warlord would roll in.
WhiskeyJohnny
I like this guy's work - he's got a cool take on a BMW motorcycle, and a Mercedes-Benz Military G-Wagen for the future
pbangarth
Awesome stuff! Any more?
ShadowDragon8685
That bike is just awesome. That G-Wagen looks like an early gun-drone. And the police SUV in the beginning - do want!
phlapjack77
For the bike messengers of the future?
Tanegar
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Nov 27 2012, 10:39 PM) *
I like this guy's work - he's got a cool take on a BMW motorcycle, and a Mercedes-Benz Military G-Wagen for the future

His site isn't rendering correctly in Firefox. A significant portion seems to be cropped off on the right-hand side, and there's no horizontal scrollbar.
hermit
Yeah, you need two screens. Bad setup. He has a DevArt page though. No luck for the bike but three skins for the scout car, and a spiffy gun-thing.
Seriously Mike
Yeah, the SMG is pretty awesome. If you can make the feed system work, that is.
Elfenlied
Sometimes, I envy the Americans for their gun laws and fuel prices nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Nov 28 2012, 07:36 AM) *
Yeah, the SMG is pretty awesome. If you can make the feed system work, that is.

Is this guy actually trying to produce this thing, or is he just an industrial artist with a mad lot of 3d design skills?

That feed system doesn't look remotely possible. Even on the animation he has, it doesn't seem there's enough space for that 5.56 round to pivot all the way to forward. That "Hammer of Thor" firing pin system looks to be massive, which is going to drag the firing rate down to laughably slooooow - and you don't load 50 rounds of anything smaller than a 40mm grenade into something you want to fire slowly. Those speed-fin looking "airflow ribs" are the very definition of a design flaw - either they're open to the firing chamber, which means they're going to be directing hot air directly into the shooter's face, or there's another transparent shield there, which just means that it's some kind of tacitool bullshit. You are never going to need "visual feedback of the loading status" of your gun. There are only three states:

1: Ready to fire. You pull the trigger and it goes bang.
2: Not ready to fire. You pull the trigger and it goes clicky.
3: Jammed. You pulled the trigger and something bad happened.

2 is easily resolved. Did you forget to move the selector switch into some kind of firing position? No you didn't because you're a soldier, not a dumbfuck. If you didn't forget to move the weapon into "Unsafe" mode, that means you're at the "I need to reload" stage.
3 is just as easily resolved. Your weapon is jammed. There is only one solution to this: clear the firing chamber by manually ejecting the round that's stuck. If that didn't work, chances are you're in for a bad day, because that's going to require an armorer/gunsmith to see to it, and possibly it exploded if the reason it stopped firing was because you had a weak detonation that shoved a round into the barrel and lodged it there. Also your gun is completely jammed and there's a non-zero change you're in a firefight. Take cover and switch to your sidearm, dumbfuck!

I mean, it looks cool as hell, don't get me wrong, but... That's about it. I'm not convinced at all. Also, 50 rounds of 5.56 NATO would be a pure beast to carry on your hip all day, there's no way this thing is going to be used in a PDW capacity.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 09:11 AM) *
I mean, it looks cool as hell, don't get me wrong, but... That's about it. I'm not convinced at all. Also, 50 rounds of 5.56 NATO would be a pure beast to carry on your hip all day, there's no way this thing is going to be used in a PDW capacity.

Speaking from expereince? I can tell you that when I was in the Gulf, I carried 12 Magazines (4 Pouches of 3 each) of 30 rounds each (yes, 360 Rounds of 5.56 Ammo) on my load bearing equipment and it was not all that bad. Lighter in fact than the additional combat gear I carried (2 Mortar Rounds, 2 Rockets, 1 Box (100 Rounds) 7.62 for the Machince gun, and a Radio with 2 extra batteries). *Shrug*

Course, all but the Radio was rigged for quick drop off (with the Weapon Teams) when needed.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 28 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Speaking from expereince? I can tell you that when I was in the Gulf, I carried 12 Magazines (4 Pouches of 3 each) of 30 rounds each (yes, 360 Rounds of 5.56 Ammo) on my load bearing equipment and it was not all that bad. Lighter in fact than the additional combat gear I carried (2 Mortar Rounds, 2 Rockets, 1 Box (100 Rounds) 7.62 for the Machince gun, and a Radio with 2 extra batteries). *Shrug*

Course, all but the Radio was rigged for quick drop off (with the Weapon Teams) when needed.

There's probably gonna be a bit of difference between carrying it on something that harnesses around your whole chest, and something that harnesses around your waist. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but day-in, day-out, is gonna get to be a drag. Alternatively, you might sling it over your body, but at that point you might as well carry a carbine.

The whole point of a PDW is to be a weapon lighter and handier than an SMG (probably using the Uzi or H&K Mp5k as the benchmark for "it needs to be lighter and handier than this,) whilst bigger and better than a machine pistol (probably using the Glock 18 for the benchmark) to give out to rear troops who aren't expecting to see active combat, who have other things to do - like driving supply trucks or cleaning latrines or whatever - but for whom 9x19mm is no longer adequate.

I mean... Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the idea of a 5.56 PDW, because it helps simplify the supply situation, and quartermasters just love that... I'm just not sure that this is really the answer. It looks a lot like it could have come out of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that automatically makes me suspect that form may have come before function in the design stage...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 09:39 AM) *
There's probably gonna be a bit of difference between carrying it on something that harnesses around your whole chest, and something that harnesses around your waist. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but day-in, day-out, is gonna get to be a drag. Alternatively, you might sling it over your body, but at that point you might as well carry a carbine.

The whole point of a PDW is to be a weapon lighter and handier than an SMG (probably using the Uzi or H&K Mp5k as the benchmark for "it needs to be lighter and handier than this,) whilst bigger and better than a machine pistol (probably using the Glock 18 for the benchmark) to give out to rear troops who aren't expecting to see active combat, who have other things to do - like driving supply trucks or cleaning latrines or whatever - but for whom 9x19mm is no longer adequate.

I mean... Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the idea of a 5.56 PDW, because it helps simplify the supply situation, and quartermasters just love that... I'm just not sure that this is really the answer. It looks a lot like it could have come out of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that automatically makes me suspect that form may have come before function in the design stage...

Makes Sense, awesome... Have yet to see the weapon being discussed. Must take a look at it when I can get to it.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 09:11 AM) *
Is this guy actually trying to produce this thing, or is he just an industrial artist with a mad lot of 3d design skills?

I'm pretty sure he's a designer/artist - I believe he works for (or has worked for) Crytek.

You are never going to need "visual feedback of the loading status" of your gun.

There are questions regarding their utility, but several manufacturers offer pistols with a Loaded Chamber Indicator. And I know that when I am handed/pick up a weapon which I have not loaded myself, my first instinct is to check the chamber.

Yeah, I don't know that it'd be feasible as an actual firearm (though I wouldn't be against prototyping it) but it does look cool. As to carrying 50 rounds of 5.56, yeah, it'd be heavy, but I don't think it'd be uncomfortable to have the load carried on your hips. Crye manufactures a system which places the load of your load bearing vest onto a belt, and it's supposed to make wearing it all day substantially easier.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Nov 28 2012, 12:54 PM) *
There are questions regarding their utility, but several manufacturers offer pistols with a Loaded Chamber Indicator. And I know that when I am handed/pick up a weapon which I have not loaded myself, my first instinct is to check the chamber.

And it should always be that way. I have always been taught that when handling a firearm, if it has ever left your person, even if you just set it down, the very first thing you do when you pick it up is check the chamber, even if you just saw someone check it and find it to be empty, you check it again. Unless it's got one of those plastic thingies* that occupies the barrel and sticks out the ejection port, you consider it armed and loaded unless you've personally verified otherwise and have not let go of it.

I don't like the idea of some indicator replacing that instinct, because an indicator can fail.

*I've never seen one of those thingies in person, just in pictures. What are they called? The idea is obviously to prove that a firearm isn't in firable condition by physically preventing the chamber from being loaded, of course, and being obvious externally, but I've never seen one.

Yeah, I don't know that it'd be feasible as an actual firearm (though I wouldn't be against prototyping it) but it does look cool. As to carrying 50 rounds of 5.56, yeah, it'd be heavy, but I don't think it'd be uncomfortable to have the load carried on your hips. Crye manufactures a system which places the load of your load bearing vest onto a belt, and it's supposed to make wearing it all day substantially easier.

No, I agree; the idea's interesting enough that it's worth someone throwing some money at, but I'm not expecting to see a full weapon result. For one thing, I don't like the idea of any underbarrel accessory, especially one that goes Bang, being mounted on a PDW, let alone mounted on the underside of what is already an accessory. For another, I think that nifty one-button-push-handy-dandy-carbine-form-factory snap-circle-springing stock is probably going to be unworkable.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 11:43 AM) *
And it should always be that way. I have always been taught that when handling a firearm, if it has ever left your person, even if you just set it down, the very first thing you do when you pick it up is check the chamber, even if you just saw someone check it and find it to be empty, you check it again. Unless it's got one of those plastic thingies* that occupies the barrel and sticks out the ejection port, you consider it armed and loaded unless you've personally verified otherwise and have not let go of it.

I don't like the idea of some indicator replacing that instinct, because an indicator can fail.

*I've never seen one of those thingies in person, just in pictures. What are they called? The idea is obviously to prove that a firearm isn't in firable condition by physically preventing the chamber from being loaded, of course, and being obvious externally, but I've never seen one.

It is called a Flag Safety... smile.gif

"Cease Fire, Cease Fire, Unload, Clear and Lock; Remove the Magazine, Put the weapon on Safe, Insert a Flag Safety and let the bolt go Home. Coaches Check your Shooters"

Can't tell you how many times I have heard THAT Phrase.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 11:43 AM) *

Fair enough - I will now practice checking the gun whenever I pick it up. Of course, I haven't been shooting in months, but that's something I can drill without a loaded weapon or going to the range.

No, I agree; the idea's interesting enough that it's worth someone throwing some money at, but I'm not expecting to see a full weapon result. For one thing, I don't like the idea of any underbarrel accessory, especially one that goes Bang, being mounted on a PDW, let alone mounted on the underside of what is already an accessory. For another, I think that nifty one-button-push-handy-dandy-carbine-form-factory snap-circle-springing stock is probably going to be unworkable.

What's this underbarrel accessory? All I see there is a folding foregrip and a suppressor. Though, speaking of the suppressor, that thing shouldn't have rails on it. I, at least, would not want to attach a grip or laser or bipod or whatever to the barrel of my weapon. And yeah, the stock doesn't look good to me either - too bulky with too fragile (looking) an attachment and deployment system.

You know, looking at the weapon as a whole, I wonder if you could, using those Cased-Telescoping rounds from the LSAT program, have the chamber rotate to behind the feed lips of the magazine (which would take some re-working, to get everything lined up) and push the new round in, ejecting the spent case backwards and downwards. That would allow a much longer barrel, since the firing mechanism would be behind the magazine. Of course, you'd have to redesign the stock, but I figure you would have to anyway. And maybe, instead of blowing hot air back towards the shooter, you could have it draw air in and blow forwards to cool the action and barrel. Then lengthen the fore-end (or have a replaceable long-barrel, long fore-end upper receiver) and you've got a carbine or even a rifle. And the whole family would work off the same lower, virtually same upper, same ammunition, same magazines, same pouches and tools and other ancillaries, which would make logistics much simpler.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 28 2012, 02:54 AM) *
His site isn't rendering correctly in Firefox. A significant portion seems to be cropped off on the right-hand side, and there's no horizontal scrollbar.

His site does that in ALL browsers. It's like he's trying to be avaunt-garde.

(Speaking of which, Firefox will helpfully redline and correct "avant-gaurd" to "avaunt-gaurd" and then re-redline it and correct it to "avaunt-guard"...neither of which is correct, and the correct spelling isn't in its dictionary).
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 28 2012, 02:34 PM) *

(Speaking of which, Firefox will helpfully redline and correct "avant-gaurd" to "avaunt-gaurd" and then re-redline it and correct it to "avaunt-guard"...neither of which is correct, and the correct spelling isn't in its dictionary).

Does it? I don't have a horizontal scroll bar, but if I click my scroll wheel I can scroll left and right to see the whole of it.

Edit: And does Firefox not let you add things to its dictionary?
Manunancy
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Nov 28 2012, 06:54 PM) *

The ammo itself won't be that much of a drag - it weights a mere 11,2 grams, compared to a 9mm parabellum's 12g - the extra 20 adds barely half a pound (225 grams). As comparison, the 5.7x28mm ammo used in the P90 weights 6,2g, a bit less than half the weight. OF course depending on how the magazine is designed, it can add weight, though I don't think it would be worse than two 25 rounds. You're going to save some wight by having only one puhsing spring and end fixation, the plastic body shouldn't be too heav, even if you want to soldierproof it.

And my opinion on the opening post is that I definitively don't like that thing's style - I can't tell if it remind moreof a steroïd abuse or a generalized edema...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Nov 28 2012, 03:32 PM) *
Fair enough - I will now practice checking the gun whenever I pick it up. Of course, I haven't been shooting in months, but that's something I can drill without a loaded weapon or going to the range.

You can drill that without a real weapon at all, as long as you have a quarter-way convincing fake. Same with the proper way to hold it without putting your finger in the trigger guard like a fucking retard.

What's this underbarrel accessory? All I see there is a folding foregrip and a suppressor. Though, speaking of the suppressor, that thing shouldn't have rails on it. I, at least, would not want to attach a grip or laser or bipod or whatever to the barrel of my weapon. And yeah, the stock doesn't look good to me either - too bulky with too fragile (looking) an attachment and deployment system.

Look at the suppressor bit, where it attaches to the front and for some reason has a rail on the bottom of it. Now read the text, where he suggests that, having affixed the suppressor to the front of the weapon, you can then go on and affix an accessory to the bottom of the suppressor - he specifically mentions a grenade launcher, by the way.

I have never handled a weapon with a suppressor, let alone a removable one, double-let-alone one with an attachment rail, and this still strikes me as a monumentally bad idea even if you just want to affix a small laser sight or LED flashlight, let alone a goddamn grenade launcher.

You know, looking at the weapon as a whole, I wonder if you could, using those Cased-Telescoping rounds from the LSAT program, have the chamber rotate to behind the feed lips of the magazine (which would take some re-working, to get everything lined up) and push the new round in, ejecting the spent case backwards and downwards. That would allow a much longer barrel, since the firing mechanism would be behind the magazine. Of course, you'd have to redesign the stock, but I figure you would have to anyway. And maybe, instead of blowing hot air back towards the shooter, you could have it draw air in and blow forwards to cool the action and barrel. Then lengthen the fore-end (or have a replaceable long-barrel, long fore-end upper receiver) and you've got a carbine or even a rifle. And the whole family would work off the same lower, virtually same upper, same ammunition, same magazines, same pouches and tools and other ancillaries, which would make logistics much simpler.

Sounds nifty, probably unworkable. Still, probably worth throwing some cash at to try it.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 28 2012, 04:34 PM) *
His site does that in ALL browsers. It's like he's trying to be avaunt-garde a prat.

Fixed that for you.

"I have dual monitors, if you don't you're a chump" is frankly kind of bullshit. And by "kind of" I mean it stinks like a manure stockpile.

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Nov 28 2012, 05:14 PM) *
The ammo itself won't be that much of a drag - it weights a mere 11,2 grams, compared to a 9mm parabellum's 12g - the extra 20 adds barely half a pound (225 grams). As comparison, the 5.7x28mm ammo used in the P90 weights 6,2g, a bit less than half the weight. OF course depending on how the magazine is designed, it can add weight, though I don't think it would be worse than two 25 rounds. You're going to save some wight by having only one pushing spring and end fixation, the plastic body shouldn't be too heavy, even if you want to soldierproof it.

Really? A round of 9x19mm is heavier than a 5.56 NATO round?

Huh... My bad. I've only ever handled 9x19mm rounds. It might not be that bad, assuming you can actually stack 50 rounds in that silly magazine and make it reliable.
Draco18s
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Nov 28 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Does it? I don't have a horizontal scroll bar, but if I click my scroll wheel I can scroll left and right to see the whole of it.

Didn't try that trick. But I didn't get a horiz scroll bar on ANY of the major four I had installed.

Edit: And does Firefox not let you add things to its dictionary?

Oh it does, but I had to google the correct spelling. I was more amused by "that's not right, try X, wait, X is wrong too" functionality (and even after adding it, Firefox thought it was still wrong!).
Halinn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 28 2012, 10:34 PM) *

Actually, it's avant-garde.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 29 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Actually, it's avant-garde.

Damn it. I had it at one point, and in tying to type out the spelling correction thing my "correct" statement gained the incorrect spelling.
pbangarth
You could also be under the influence of a certain decker of renown who has been known to use the word "avaunt".
Halinn
"Avaunt" is perfectly fine if you're looking for an archaic way of saying "go away"
Mäx
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 28 2012, 07:11 PM) *
Those speed-fin looking "airflow ribs" are the very definition of a design flaw - either they're open to the firing chamber, which means they're going to be directing hot air directly into the shooter's face, or there's another transparent shield there, which just means that it's some kind of tacitool bullshit.

I'm 99% sure that the folding stock actually locks into those "airflow ribs".
I have really liked this desing ever since i saw it from his previous web site(thanks for the link to the new site WhiskeyJohnny), it looks especially good in hot rod red cool.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Mäx @ Dec 3 2012, 11:18 AM) *
I'm 99% sure that the folding stock actually locks into those "airflow ribs".
I have really liked this desing ever since i saw it from his previous web site(thanks for the link to the new site WhiskeyJohnny), it looks especially good in hot rod red cool.gif

Welcome to the 1%: it doesn't lock into those "Airflow ribs." Look again, they're actually molded into the ribs, on part of the section that snaps over the back of the firing mechanism when the stock folds up. If you try to fire it with the stock in compact position, the mechanism is open to air - or just if you carry it that way... That seems like another big design flaw, to me.
Mäx
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 3 2012, 07:31 PM) *
Welcome to the 1%: it doesn't lock into those "Airflow ribs." Look again, they're actually molded into the ribs, on part of the section that snaps over the back of the firing mechanism when the stock folds up. If you try to fire it with the stock in compact position, the mechanism is open to air - or just if you carry it that way... That seems like another big design flaw, to me.

Oh sorry, skimmed that part of the text and thought you ment a sligtly different partts around the same area of the gun embarrassed.gif
Manunancy
the whole airlfow concept sounds neat but in my opinion it has two problems. The first one is minor : the hot air (and probably quite a bit of gazes from the opening chamber) get chanelled straight at the use'rs face if he's using the sight. The second is that it's going to suck in dirt and other crap straight at the mechanism. Not much of a problem for a seucity guard into that cool air-conditioned corporate HQ, not so good out in the dirt and mud. Sounds liek a recip for jamming.

also one thing I hadn't noticed first - the folding sotck is fixed on the magazine ! It pivots on a sort of rail that runs along the magazine's internal edge (and since the whole magazine is more than an half-cricle, there's no way to have that part integral to teh weapon and the magazin going aoround it). Not good to sytake recoil, and it's going to ruin the whole 'compact and lightweight' point of th PDW if you have to haul a full sotck along with each magazine....
mister__joshua
A couple of points on the SMG - because I think it looks awesome

I'm not a designer, or an engineer, and definitely not a gun expert but I'll try to defend it anyway smile.gif

i) The point about 'seeing your current loading state' I think is just bad english. I think he means you can see how many rounds you've got left because you can see the magazine down through the stock. This isn't a large benefit, but it's undoubtedly more useful than just waiting for the click. If you can see while firing that your mag is coming to an end then it's time to prepare for a reload!
ii) I think the point about mounting a grenade launcher was a joke. It's a bit weird to throw jokes into what is otherwise presented as professional design, but that whole paragraph is a joke mentioning saving money on cheap airsoft sights and leaving with a bang. Whether the rail on the silencer is a bad idea altogether I'll leave for more knowledgeable people smile.gif
iii) The CMAG being slightly more than a half circle is a little bit of a design error I think but it's clearly meant to slot around the stock rail and not require it's removal.
iv) Whether the unfolding stock and grip will work is something for a prototype and engineer to prove but I certainly don't think they'd be flimsy. They're mentioned as being titanium, and they lock into place so they should be solid enough.
v) The Airflow issue is a strange one. The fins I think seem to be angled down so they should direct the air past the users face. I'm guessing that's what they're supposed to do anyway. That could be an issue with the model not exactly mirroring the idea, but something that could be worked out. I don't know about the 'sucking in dirt' thing. It does have an internal dust cover but that could be an issue.

The issue I possibly see is there are a lot of moving internal parts, and it seems a lot of effort to fire a round but if that could be got moving smoothly then it could work.

DISCLAIMER: These responses come from the exact same information, just looking at the picture and reading the text. They could all be nonsense, but I thought I'd try and counter-point some of the critiques.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012