Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Computers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ramaloke
So we all know how silly things get when a magician gains access to an Inhabitation spirit, but I like in fiction when you get magic computers, and you can do that with inhabitation spirits.

Assuming a flesh form merge and all that jazz, would you be able to add a spirits Force to the device's ratings?

As in: Firewall + Force, Signal + Force, System + Force and Response + Force.
almost normal
nope
Lionhearted
Magic computers in fiction?
Sounds interesting, what does it entail?
CanRay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Nov 30 2012, 04:52 PM) *
Magic computers in fiction?
Sounds interesting, what does it entail?
Only one I heard of so far is Hex on the Discworld.

Anthill Inside.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 1 2012, 11:44 AM) *
Only one I heard of so far is Hex on the Discworld.

Anthill Inside.

you need other examples?
CanRay
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2012, 11:48 PM) *
you need other examples?
Not really, Sir PTerry is the man!
FuelDrop
...And so it was that on that day Sir Terry Pratchett's true godlike nature was discovered on Dumpshock, and there was much rejoicing. Fortunately, Sir Pterry then turned down the job of supreme master of the universe because it would interfere with his busy writing schedule. And there was much rejoicing.
thorya
That probably won't work, but you could argue that a spirit with the movement power should be able to increase the response of the computer or commlink and maybe the system property. Because you're speeding up all of the machine's processes. And that's a multiplier. This is especially true if your GM has allowed movement to be used to multiply a vehicle or other machine's speed. I suspect your GM will still veto it or have the computer experience terrible lag issues or other problems when interfacing with the matrix, but you can always argue that it works, because MAGIC!
CanRay
Magic and Computers mix about as well as /dev/grrl and hardcopy. biggrin.gif

Of course, that didn't stop me from forcing her to write out Safehouses in pencil!
taeksosin
Due to Canray's obsession with Safehouses, it's been added to my Christmas wishlist. biggrin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (taeksosin @ Dec 1 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Due to Canray's obsession with Safehouses, it's been added to my Christmas wishlist. biggrin.gif
Some people call it selling your work.

I prefer "Pimping Myself Out". nyahnyah.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 1 2012, 11:56 PM) *
Some people call it selling your work.

I prefer "Pimping Myself Out". nyahnyah.gif

I'm surprised you don't have a link to it in your sig in addition to the self-prostitution.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 1 2012, 05:07 PM) *
I'm surprised you don't have a link to it in your sig in addition to the self-prostitution.

Don't give him any ideas... smile.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 2 2012, 02:47 AM) *
Don't give him any ideas... smile.gif

Why not give him ideas on how to market Safehouses? Safehouses is a pretty good source for what precautions runners take, and I quite enjoyed reading Safehouses.

Safehouses.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Nov 30 2012, 04:40 PM) *
So we all know how silly things get when a magician gains access to an Inhabitation spirit, but I like in fiction when you get magic computers, and you can do that with inhabitation spirits.

Assuming a flesh form merge and all that jazz, would you be able to add a spirits Force to the device's ratings?

Pg 102 Street Magic Posession
The spirit does not enhance any tech or software-based statistics such as the object's Device Rating or a vehicle's Pilot software.

That covers possession. Inhabitation, they would have to be able to interface with the Matrix in the first place, which spirits can't do. It would also have to be an ally spirit to Inhabit like that.

That being said, check out the old novel The Lucifer Deck. Haven't read it myself but heard some things about it "back in the day".

[ Spoiler ]
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Dec 3 2012, 09:18 AM) *
That being said, check out the old novel The Lucifer Deck. Haven't read it myself but heard some things about it "back in the day".

[ Spoiler ]

I really liked that story, myself. Was very entertaining. I just finished reading it again not long ago.
fistandantilus4.0
It was on my list of books to get a few years ago, and I tend to like Lisa Smedmen. But Fortune talked me into reading something by Nyx Smith, and that kinda killed my interest in the old novels. Fair? No. But Nyx Smith has that affect.

Sorry for the tangent, but I'm still bitter. Hours of my life I can't get back.
FuelDrop
Personally I prefer tech being good at some things while magic is good at others.
Tech can't summon gods, make you incorporeal, or control minds (At least, not without preparation).
Magic can't do maths.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012