Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jogging and Defaulting the run skill.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lionhearted
In our last session the players found themselves having to run on foot to reach the getaway vehicle. Only to discover that half the group had the physique of a chain-smoking forty something. The issue of running tests came up and with some of the players not even being able to default I found myself dumbstruck.
Especially at the references to jogging in the fatigue section, nowhere is it clarified what jogging is or how it works, also what happens if you can't default on running? are you stuck to walking? can you not sprint?
Elfenlied
Unless they only have Strength 1, they should be able to default on it. And if they do have S1, it's their own fault.
D2F
The way I read an understood the rules, there is a difference between "running" and "sprinting" as a movement option. Only the latter requires an actual "Running (Skill)" Test.

So, if your group decides to just "Jog along" at their base running speed (SR4A p.149), no running Test is required.

"Sprinting" requires a simple action and a running test (SR4A p.148,149) as opposed to merely a free action and no test for simple "Jogging" (SR4A p.149).

As far as fatigue is concerned in such a case, the rules specifically differentiate between Jogging (running without a skill test) and Sprinting (running with a skill test):

QUOTE (SR4A p.164)
Fatigue Damage
[...]A character can sprint for a number of turns equal to his Body plus the hits on a Running (Long Distance) + Strength Test before he or she begins to lose steam. If the character continues to run beyond this base period, he or she begins taking 1 box of Stun damage each Combat Turn from fatigue; this damage cannot be resisted.
If a character is merely jogging along at his base running rate instead of sprinting, the gamemaster should increase the base period to (Body + hits) x 2 minutes, and only apply 1 box of fatigue Stun damage each time that period passes (rather than each Combat Turn) The maximum amount of fatigue that can be taken is 6 boxes of Stun. After that point, the character must make a Body + Willpower (2) Test each Combat Turn (sprinting) or Body + hits minutes (jogging). If the character fails, he collapses from exhaustion and is simply unable to continue any sort of strenuous activity until he rests.

So, unless you need to go faster than your base running rate, no skill test is required and you can even run longer distances that way.

I hope that helps to clear up some confusion (assuming I read and interpreted the rules correctly).
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Dec 26 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Unless they only have Strength 1, they should be able to default on it. And if they do have S1, it's their own fault.

2 str and -1 wound from fatigue

Oh, so they did clarify what jogging is in 4a, thanks
Neraph
Yes, long distance running (cross country vs. sprinting) is a Body Test, not Str Test. If they cannot default of a straight Body - 1 Test then they're dead shadowrunners and they just don't know it yet.
bannockburn
It's still a str+running test, Neraph. Body is only used to calculate the time it takes to take fatigue damage.

However, merely moving along at the base speed doesn't require a running test, IMO, except when the character wants to do this for a long time.
D2F
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Dec 26 2012, 09:01 PM) *
However, merely moving along at the base speed doesn't require a running test, IMO, except when the character wants to do this for a long time.

Even the rules say it doesn't. It merely requires a fatigue check.
bannockburn
Eh. Yes, of course they do smile.gif
What I meant is that the fatigue check is only required if the character wants to move like this really long (like: several minutes wink.gif )
If a player wants to move at his standard speed for a combat round or two, I won't even ask for the roll. If he wants to sprint / and or run for a long time, I require the test.
D2F
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Dec 26 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Eh. Yes, of course they do smile.gif
What I meant is that the fatigue check is only required if the character wants to move like this really long (like: several minutes wink.gif )
If a player wants to move at his standard speed for a combat round or two, I won't even ask for the roll. If he wants to sprint / and or run for a long time, I require the test.

Ah, I see your point. You wouldn't have to roll before Bodyx2 minutes anyway, ince the intervals for jogging are Body+net hits in minutes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012