Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4/20th anniversary differences
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ZeroSpace
I'm presently looking at picking up my own copy of SR4 with some of the money I got for Christmas, but I'm unsure of whether I should pick up the standard 4e book, or get the 20th anniversary remake. Is there any appreciable difference? I vaguely remember hearing something about the 20thA book having errata in it, but that's real fuzzy. Is it worth it to get the 20thA book, or just stay with the standard book? According to amazon, the 20thA book starts at about $40, while I can get the standard book for as cheap as $25.
bannockburn
Get SR4a. The errata are worth it and there have been some changes that are considered useful and / or standard ruleset now.
pbangarth
Seeing as 5th edition is being talked about for next year, is it really a good idea to buy 4A now?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 31 2012, 12:15 PM) *
Seeing as 5th edition is being talked about for next year, is it really a good idea to buy 4A now?

Of course it is...
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 31 2012, 01:15 PM) *

Yep, because it will be a while before 5th is fully playable, as it will be a while before there are enough sources out to be enjoyable.
Lionhearted
If you got neither definitely get 4A, cleaner design, references to added books and more integrated into the basebook (like some of the unwired matrix rules, custom cyberlimbs from augmentation and additional metamagic from street magic)
ZeroSpace
Anniversary edition you say? Alright then.
DnDer
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 31 2012, 01:37 PM) *
Yep, because it will be a while before 5th is fully playable, as it will be a while before there are enough sources out to be enjoyable.

Since when is a core game, by itself, unplayable or un-enjoyable? That doesn't seem to be a very fair assessment of any system. Not D&D, VtM, SR, CoC, or any of the other ones part of the big RPG alphabet soup.
Glyph
I find the basic SR4 book quite playable by itself (an actual improvement over SR3 in that regard), and from what I hear SR4A has a few more things in it. He still has a point, though. Every edition typically has a gear book, a magic book, a matrix book, a book of 'ware/augmentations, and a book of expanded player options - eventually.

Honestly, this close to an edition change, I would get the basic SR4 book - used - and download the SR4A changes .pdf.
nylanfs
Don't forget the best part. A useable index! (Thanks Adam!)
pbangarth
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Jan 2 2013, 10:24 AM) *
Don't forget the best part. A useable index! (Thanks Adam!)

There is that.
Adarael
Totally bitchin ribbon bookmarks.
Thanee
QUOTE (ZeroSpace @ Dec 31 2012, 09:25 PM) *
Anniversary edition you say? Alright then.

Yeah, definitely the Anniversary Edition.

Bye
Thanee
Neraph
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 31 2012, 01:15 PM) *

We're not close to a 5th edition. It's marked for Spring, which is a good four+ months away, and that's not even counting the printing delays and shipping issues.
BaronJ
Anniversary. Gotta go with Anniversary.
Medicineman
QUOTE (BaronJ @ Jan 7 2013, 09:30 PM) *
Anniversary. Gotta go with Anniversary.

+1

Hough
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012