Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Weatherman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Makki
I'd like to try building a magician focusing on indirect elemental combat spells like shooting Lightning and summoning a Blizzard. Later on he's supposed to get into dual-elemental spells like Meteor (Fire+Metal). Furthermore he'll be summoning (and invoking) Water (Weather Control power) and Air (Storm power) spirits. There are also some interesting manipulation spells like Mist, Alter Temperature, Elemental Aura, Poltergeist and Ice Sheet.

This will be a drain heavy build, so the first to pick up will be Centering and a Centering focus.
Most likely he'll be of a Logic tradition, so he can profit from Cerebral booster. This also opens up space for a Trauma Dampener. I'll give him Meteorology 6 smile.gif

I don't want him to be something weird but with nice base stats, like an eagle shifter or a nosferatu wink.gif.
Haven't quite rules out Surge, but I'd rather use Focused Concentration and be "normal".
I'm not sure about Hermetics with Fetishes though.
Last thing I can think of right now is a sustaining focus with Improved Willpower. I'd need restricted Gear at chargen for this. But technically I do need Improved Reflexes as well.

Later on I'll also need Cleansing to cope with background count. And then there is Divination, because that's what predicting the weather is all about! There's so much there, like reading the clouds, listening to the wind, etc.

Any suggestions?
NiL_FisK_Urd
[Element] Cloud from WAR! creates a supressive fire zone with a diameter of FORCE, DV of FORCE+Elemental effects and a dodge threshold of NET HITS.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 9 2013, 12:41 AM) *
focusing on indirect elemental combat spells

A smartlink in your Cybereyes. Then, using an Eye Laser System, and Smartgun System modding it, lets you have both halves to the smartlink +2 built into your very sight.
Makki
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 9 2013, 09:50 AM) *
A smartlink in your Cybereyes. Then, using an Eye Laser System, and Smartgun System modding it, lets you have both halves to the smartlink +2 built into your very sight.

I know there is a Smartgun version for cybereyes in War! that adds +1 to indirect combat spells. But where do you get the Eye Laser System bonus from? This is most likely your interpretation, right?

@NiL_FisK_Urd: shouldn't the threshold be HITS? But Sand Cloud sounds like fun, becaue nobody will have desert adapted gear in Seattle.
SpellBinder
Fetishes aren't limited to a handful of traditions, but usable by any. If you're going to eat a point of magic for cyber/bio, you can consider a skin pouch or a cyber hand with smuggling compartments to hide fetishes in (in a story I have a magician who has her fetishes concealed, small Nordic runestones, within the linked band of her wristwatch). I recall reading a post where the person described a chaos magician having a tailor made fetish implanted in her eye so it was just within her peripheral vision. Then there's the Microtrónica Azteca Spellslinger (War, page 161), if you can get your hands on one.

Might also consider the Flexible Signature metamagic, unless you don't mind leaving signatures around for Magic hours after you're done with your spells. You can also use it to alter your aura so it's harder to trace your spells back to you.
NiL_FisK_Urd
@Makki: sure, as this is a success tests, HITS = NET HITS
I like Ice Cloud more, because it shorts out electronics and people tend to trip on the ice ^^
UmaroVI
IMO Sound Cloud is the best of the Cloud spells, because you don't add net hits to damage (since it's Suppressive Fire), but the secondary effect of Sound means 5-ish DV of Sound will still disable a lot of people.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Sounds like an entertaining character. I would be interested in seeing its final build.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 9 2013, 12:58 AM) *
I know there is a Smartgun version for cybereyes in War! that adds +1 to indirect combat spells. But where do you get the Eye Laser System bonus from? This is most likely your interpretation, right?

Incorrect.
If you examine the smartlink text, you will find that it has no rules benefit by itself. (fluffwise, it adds a crosshair and a laser rangefinder and some other stuff), but you NEED both halves of the system to get any sort of mechanical benefit.

If you check the smartgun system, you will find that: "When used with a smartlink, it provides a +2 dice pool bonus
on the ranged attack test."

From page 204: Indirect Combat spells are treated like ranged combat attacks; the caster makes a Spellcasting + Magic
Success Test versus the target’s Reaction.
From the FAQ: Yes, you can make a Called Shot with an Indirect Combat spell. However, since Taking Aim is a Simple Action and casting a spell is a Complex Action, you cannot do both in the same Action Phase; instead you would have to Take Aim before and then cast the spell. Use the character’s Spellcasting Skill when determining how many sequential Take Aim actions may be taken.

Ergo, Indirect combat spells are 100% Ranged Attacks. They get all the perks and benefits of ranged attacks.

Smartgun and Smartlinking your vision (and not your gun, or your scope, or your armthings,) puts both halves of the system in your eyes that control the Mystic Targeting Link, and applies the usual benefit to spells that are Ranged Attacks.

If you MUST take it a step further, you may employ a Node Script to synch your Smartlink/Smartgun system to your actual vision focus,(this shouldn't be necessary, because we know the smartlink gives you a crosshair anyway) and in the case your GM is a real stickler, you can pilot upgrade your smartgun and instruct it to spend actions maintaining the synch for eternity, or use Clustering to make them literally the same node.

On a side note, The aztech spell gauntlet is, however, good, and..... more importantly stacks with itself. They forgot the nonstacking clause that laser sights have. So any good indirect mage should be using two of them ANYway.

And they all stack.

Indirect Combat Spells are SO BAD that I have no qualms breaking things to get a +4 to all indirect combat spell tests. If I want to make a cowboy spellslinger that shoots fireballs with his fingerguns instead of revolvers, by golly I'm gonna find a way to make it happen.

TLDR; Smartlinks give +2 on ranged attacks, indirect spells are ranged attacks, so all you have to do is find a way to add a Smartgun into the mix to take advantage of standard core rules.
Lionhearted
"The forecast for today is devastation!"
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 9 2013, 11:17 AM) *
Smartgun and Smartlinking your vision (and not your gun, or your scope, or your armthings,) puts both halves of the system in your eyes that control the Mystic Targeting Link, and applies the usual benefit to spells that are Ranged Attacks.

You left out an important step: how, exactly, do you put Smartgun on your vision?
Udoshi
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 9 2013, 04:16 PM) *
You left out an important step: how, exactly, do you put Smartgun on your vision?

By putting a smartgun system in your cybereyes right next to the smartlink.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 9 2013, 04:23 PM) *
By putting a smartgun system in your cybereyes right next to the smartlink.

Neat trick since it is not an Eye or Headware Modification. It is a WEAPON modification. smile.gif
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 06:24 PM) *
Neat trick since it is not an Eye or Headware Modification. It is a WEAPON modification. smile.gif

Exactly.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 9 2013, 04:26 PM) *
Exactly.

So WHAT WEAPON are you putting it on? Spells are not a WEAPON that you can apply it to. smile.gif
Lionhearted
Cybereye gun?
Yup, that's a very shady interpretation.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 06:28 PM) *
So WHAT WEAPON are you putting it on? Spells are not a WEAPON that you can apply it to. smile.gif

Tymaeus, I was agreeing with you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 9 2013, 04:46 PM) *
Tymaeus, I was agreeing with you.

Ahhh. I was confused. So, you agree that it is a ludicrous application? smile.gif
Lantzer
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 10 2013, 02:33 AM) *
Ahhh. I was confused. So, you agree that it is a ludicrous application? smile.gif

I do, at least. Unless you can get a spell with a powered slide mount.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 08:33 PM) *

Yes.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 9 2013, 10:00 PM) *
Yes.

Perfect... smile.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 04:24 PM) *

Eye Tool Lasers are compatable for weapon mods; as something with a weapon statline they have 6 modslots.
This gives you a smartgun in your eye. It is literally part of the same device that the smartlink is in.

Cluster your smartgun with your azteca spellslinger and your smartlink.

The Spellslinger is a glove that assists spellcasters in the aiming of their spells. It
contains customized smartgun hardware that works with a smartlink.

If a smartgun on your arm works with a smartlink for spells, then a smartgun in your eyes works with a smartlink for spells.

In Short, whatever method you use to link the spellslinger to the smartlink(a wi fi Subscription, perhaps), the same method can be applied equally to an smarteye.
Any reasoning you use to deny the smarteye the bonus, must also be applied to the gunslinger, or else it doesn't hold water since they're the same thing.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 10 2013, 02:49 PM) *
Eye Tool Lasers are compatable for weapon mods; as something with a weapon statline they have 6 modslots.
This gives you a smartgun in your eye. It is literally part of the same device that the smartlink is in.

Cluster your smartgun with your azteca spellslinger and your smartlink.

If a smartgun on your arm works with a smartlink for spells, then a smartgun in your eyes works with a smartlink for spells.

In Short, whatever method you use to link the spellslinger to the smartlink(a wi fi Subscription, perhaps), the same method can be applied equally to an smarteye.
Any reasoning you use to deny the smarteye the bonus, must also be applied to the gunslinger, or else it doesn't hold water since they're the same thing.

A Smartgun is not a Smartlink.
The Smartgun in your Eye Laser IS FOR THE LASER, regardless of what it is clustered with. You cannot use it with your Ares Predator, since it is NOT MOUNTED TO THE GUN.
What you are saying allows the smartgun in the Ares Predator to work with the spells, and this is patently false.
The Smartgun Modification in the GLOVES works for spells, and would not work for your Eye laser. Why would you expect the reverse?
Makki
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 04:24 PM) *
Sounds like an entertaining character. I would be interested in seeing its final build.

This is my first draft (slightly modified karmagen):
[ Spoiler ]
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 11 2013, 02:07 AM) *
This is my first draft (slightly modified karmagen):
[ Spoiler ]

I like him...
UmaroVI
I'd consider swapping Mist out for Element Aura. It's not useful to you personally, but it can be very good on a teammate who is melee-oriented.

Mentor Spirit: Sky Father nyahnyah.gif?
Makki
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 11 2013, 08:13 PM) *
I'd consider swapping Mist out for Element Aura. It's not useful to you personally, but it can be very good on a teammate who is melee-oriented.

Mentor Spirit: Sky Father nyahnyah.gif?

I'll pick up Elemental Aura later on, for now, Mist is somewhat cooler and more versatile
about Mentor Spirits, there are several I did consider. Sky Father, Thunderbird, Dark goddess (fertility and destruction, circle of life)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012