Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Iconic, Epic SR Campain
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gmanjkd
Hello, just about every RPG has that Iconic, Epic campaign that defines the game world and the genre. The Enemy Within for WFRP, The Temple of Elemental Evil for AD&D, The Maskes of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu Etc.

Does Shadowrun have an Iconic/ Epic Campaign? If so what is it?

Thanks
Stahlseele
Renraku Arcology Shutdown comes to mind.
Bugcity / Universal Brotherhood.
Smirnov
Second what Stahlseele said. Arcology and Bug City
Bearclaw
I guess I'm old. I'd say Harlequin all the way.
Universal Brotherhood/Bug City are cool to.
Smirnov
I thought about Harlequin, but is it really iconic to Shadowrun?
If we go that way back and count stand-alone stories, then count Mercurial in. I personally like Dark Angel
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Jan 13 2013, 09:59 AM) *
I thought about Harlequin, but is it really iconic to Shadowrun?

Well, for Harlequin's Back atleast, in the sense that I think most people are aware of it, regardless of whether they've played it or thought it was any good, without having specifically asked or read about "Good Adventures for ShadowRun", I'd say yes.
Atleast I know when I started playing (in SR3), I found some 2nd hand SR2 books in my FLGS and snapped up Harlequin's Back because I 'knew' it, and I hate to think about the stuff I would've missed back then. I have a horrible feeling that I passed up things like NeoAnarchists Guide to North America and Mercurial because I didn't know any better and "I play 3rd Ed, what would I wan't with all these 2nd Ed books... WOW! HARLEQUIN'S BACK! I've heard of THAT!"
Blade
As you can see, there's no agreement on what's the iconic Shadowrun campaign.

Some parts of Harlequin have badly aged, but overall the campaign isn't too bad.
Harlequin's Back is nice, but doesn't have much to do with the "criminals doing dirty jobs in a gritty (post-)cyberpunk world" concept of Shadowrun.
The whole bug arc is nice if your players aren't aware of it, and is especially good if you wait a bit before getting to the part where bugs actually appear.

Ghost Cartels is very interesting because it's pretty epic while not being about saving the world or being at the center of something that concerns the world's most powerful characters.
bannockburn
I wouldn't say there is ONE iconic campaign for SR.

If pressed, I'd say that Bug City, Arcology Shutdown and Brain Scan had the most impact on the average citizen in the game world, however.

Harlequin is cool and all, but the impact is mostly between two geriatric dandelion eaters and doesn't have much relevance overall.
Harlequin's Back DOES have impact on the world as in "it is saved", but again, no one really gets to know it (and frankly: I hate world-saving plots in SR). But it does satisfy the 'epic' requirement, something that most other SR campaigns don't.

Schockwellen is _really_ cool, and a worthy and even epic finisher for 3rd edition, but not widely available outside Germany, iirc, so there's that.

The MOST iconic campaign (and that doesn't mean it is THE iconic campaign), in my opinion, is Super Tuesday. For obvious reasons biggrin.gif
Larsine
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 14 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Schockwellen is _really_ cool, and a worthy and even epic finisher for 3rd edition, but not widely available outside Germany, iirc, so there's that.

Some parts of Shockwaves are available for free in English:

http://old.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo..._shockwaves.pdf
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 14 2013, 08:36 PM) *
The MOST iconic campaign (and that doesn't mean it is THE iconic campaign), in my opinion, is Super Tuesday. For obvious reasons biggrin.gif

Nice. So iconic I forget it's an adventure book and not just one of the most significant events of the setting.

But I think I know what THE most iconic adventure is (even if it is the LEAST epic) - Food Fight. It counts, right?
Bushw4cker
Artifacts Unbound.
Faelan
Bottled Demon. It hints at everything to come.
Bigity
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jan 14 2013, 07:16 AM) *
Artifacts Unbound.

Uh, first time I've heard anyone say that.

I mean, I guess the artifacts were cool...when they were in Earthdawn.
Lionhearted
I suppose it's a matter of perspective, the older folk will remember Harlequin runs or Universal brotherhood with fondness. The newer guys most likely haven't heard of Harl unless they're in the know and only read about Chicago in the history chapter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012