Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resonance wells, technomancers, and rigging in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadoweyes
So, my GM let my technomancer rigger take the resonance well lifestyle quality, however, he seems to think that I can only get the benefit from it while connected to the matrix at my house. Unwired has details on what they do, but doesn't specifically say how you have to be connected to it to gain its benefit. I think you just need to be present in the node, which would make sense. I don't suppose any one has come across this problem before.

Secondarily, while rigging a drone and sitting in a resonance well, the resonance well bonus does not apply because rigging a drone isn't a resonance action, correct?
Ryu
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Jan 17 2013, 03:29 PM) *
So, my GM let my technomancer rigger take the resonance well lifestyle quality, however, he seems to think that I can only get the benefit from it while connected to the matrix at my house. Unwired has details on what they do, but doesn't specifically say how you have to be connected to it to gain its benefit. I think you just need to be present in the node, which would make sense. I don't suppose any one has come across this problem before.

Secondarily, while rigging a drone and sitting in a resonance well, the resonance well bonus does not apply because rigging a drone isn't a resonance action, correct?

If you are present in a node, you are connected to it. You can then perform your actions on that ressonance well node with a bonus. Great for compiling/registering sprites and threading a CF. Not directly! useable for hacking, but still great. Spice with the Multiprocessing echo.
Shadoweyes
Unwired, 172, resonance wells, paragraph 4; "this rating acts as a positive bonus dice pool modifier for all tests involving resonance, whether made by a t/m or sprite: fading tests, compiling and registering tests, uses of complex forms, and so on."

I disagree, very useful for hacking. Especially with multiprocessing and widget crafting.
BishopMcQ
When you Register a Sprite, they are in the Resonance Well too, and get the bonuses.
Shadoweyes
The resonance well bonuses dont apply to rigging actions though right? I cant see any relationship other than the fact that the T/M is connected to the matrix through it, however the reference in Unwired is kind of vauge. Would it apply because the T/M is more in tune with the matrix around him, or would it not because the drone is real world?
Jaid
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Jan 18 2013, 02:30 PM) *
The resonance well bonuses dont apply to rigging actions though right? I cant see any relationship other than the fact that the T/M is connected to the matrix through it, however the reference in Unwired is kind of vauge. Would it apply because the T/M is more in tune with the matrix around him, or would it not because the drone is real world?

well that depends. due to biofeedback being exceptionally not fun for technomancers, many prefer to use the command CF to rig a drone. this is *definitely* within the description (using a CF). furthermore, the well would definitely help in threading the CF (an essential component to the traditional technomancer drone rigger), and in registering the sprite that you'll need to boost your command CF (again, another essential component to the traditional technomancer drone rigger).

properly done, you could be throwing a lot of dice at basically every test. remember, when remote controlling a drone (note: choosing the right positive quality for +2 to remote controlling can be very beneficial here, as can choosing the correct skill specializations) you get to use command to replace attributes in the tests... which means you could have a virtual attribute in the high teens if you play your cards right, fresh out of chargen. add in +2 dice from codeslinger(control device), +2 dice from hot sim, and then your skill, plus specialization in remote operation... well, a dice pool of more than 20 is not going to be *too* uncommon with this. as an added benefit, you can control a medkit to help remove any fading you take as a result of your shenanigans.

(note: just because you *can* do this, doesn't mean that all GMs are going to be happy about it... )
Shadoweyes
See I hadnt thought of that. Its my first character/game so "traditional" is right out the window. I'm also doubling as the party's hacker, so unless I get bonus karma, I think i might start to run into a bit of a karma/cash shortage soon.

So you would start with your Command C/F, thread it to much higher levels, compile a machine sprite, add the hot sim, and then the relevant skill specced with remote operation? (ex gunnery (remote operations)?)

huh, now i kind of wish i had read (and understood) that program better beforehand. Whelp, there goes .5 ess and a quality i didnt really need. Oh well.

Thanks a bunch!
Jaid
well, gunnery doesn't appear to have a remote operation specialization. ballistic is a pretty good choice for that, though, since frankly most everything else misses even when you "hit" pretty much.

also, i wouldn't say the half point of essence is wasted entirely (though i do agree that it's generally better on a technomancer to not lose any essence at all). it just means you've got another half point of essence to go before you lose another point of resonance... so, for example, you could add the ever-popular cyber-hand/foot + nanohive and add control rig boosters to your technomancer, if you own augmentation (and of course, that lets you add more than just the control rig boosters as well). you can add in a cerebral booster as well for better fading resistance, and/or a sleep regulator.

yeah, it's not great that you've lost a point of essence. but you can definitely make the most of it too.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 19 2013, 12:28 AM) *
well, gunnery doesn't appear to have a remote operation specialization. ballistic is a pretty good choice for that, though, since frankly most everything else misses even when you "hit" pretty much.

also, i wouldn't say the half point of essence is wasted entirely (though i do agree that it's generally better on a technomancer to not lose any essence at all). it just means you've got another half point of essence to go before you lose another point of resonance... so, for example, you could add the ever-popular cyber-hand/foot + nanohive and add control rig boosters to your technomancer, if you own augmentation (and of course, that lets you add more than just the control rig boosters as well). you can add in a cerebral booster as well for better fading resistance, and/or a sleep regulator.

yeah, it's not great that you've lost a point of essence. but you can definitely make the most of it too.

Gunnery has a Remote Operations Specialization if you want it to have one. The suggestions for specializations in the Book are just that, Suggestions, and you are not limited to those suggestions at all. smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 19 2013, 11:25 AM) *
Gunnery has a Remote Operations Specialization if you want it to have one. The suggestions for specializations in the Book are just that, Suggestions, and you are not limited to those suggestions at all. smile.gif

sure, but it's not one of the listed ones, which means you have to actually persuade your GM it should exist.

and besides, like i said... most everything useful if you use the official rules is a ballistic weapon anyways, because trying to hit with, say, homing missiles... well, even if you "hit", that probably just means you got the target within the splash radius.

given a choice between mounting a highly advanced homing missile system or an autocannon, it is likely that the autocannon is more accurate, more likely to damage things when it does hit, more likely to deal more damage on a good hit (which is when the missile will do any damage at all), and can hold more ammunition. and also a whole heck of a lot less expensive.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 19 2013, 10:40 PM) *
sure, but it's not one of the listed ones, which means you have to actually persuade your GM it should exist.

and besides, like i said... most everything useful if you use the official rules is a ballistic weapon anyways, because trying to hit with, say, homing missiles... well, even if you "hit", that probably just means you got the target within the splash radius.

given a choice between mounting a highly advanced homing missile system or an autocannon, it is likely that the autocannon is more accurate, more likely to damage things when it does hit, more likely to deal more damage on a good hit (which is when the missile will do any damage at all), and can hold more ammunition. and also a whole heck of a lot less expensive.

Perhaps...

Yes, the best weapons tend to be ballistic ones. smile.gif
Shadoweyes
currently cybered out with a sleep regulator, control rig and alphaware r3 cybereyes. Going to go up to betaware control rig and betaware r3 cerebral booster when I can. can you use the automatics skill with a command C/F or do you need to use gunnery because its a mounted/remote weapon?
Cain
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Jan 21 2013, 04:00 PM) *
currently cybered out with a sleep regulator, control rig and alphaware r3 cybereyes. Going to go up to betaware control rig and betaware r3 cerebral booster when I can. can you use the automatics skill with a command C/F or do you need to use gunnery because its a mounted/remote weapon?

The short answer is, if it's mounted it uses gunnery. There's a lot of edge cases, but that's the general rule to go by.
Jaid
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Jan 21 2013, 07:00 PM) *

i really do recommend that nanohive (installed in a cyberlimb to protect your precious essence) if you can nyahnyah.gif

there are many things you can do with nanotech. heck, just the rating 9 universal nantidotes are already going to earn their keep the first time lone star decides to hit you with any sort of chemical.

(note: while you *can* turn the abuse dial up to 11 and turn hard universal nantidotes rating 9 into any other sort of nanites with just a few hours of coding, this is another example of "things you could do according to the rules, but probably shouldn't".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012