Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions for a SR4a Decker Concept
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DnDer
My GM is going to run a side game for the next few months for just two people, so we can learn and focus down the SR4a Matrix rules, and also because he wants to go to Montreal, since the book was published (which he claims is a great place to be, if you're tech-oriented in post-Crash 2.0).

Here was my pitch: Pre-crash decker, grizzled veteran of the Matrix, long since settled into Montreal and adapting nicely to the wireless world. He's been making enough of a living for himself cooking chips and doing upgrades for runners' e-gear, and hasn't been on an actual run himself, in ages. Now, <plot-driven impetus> is forcing him to dive back into the life of a runner in the post-Crash world.

Simple (and cliche, I know) enough to work with... But I want to grab onto some of the good old fashioned cowboy spirit missing in the wireless world. Not necessarily "get off my lawn" old, but he's going to have some years under his belt, and the second player has decided on a technomancer archetype. We'll be using standard karmagen instead of BP.

Is there any gear or PQ/NQ I should keep my eyes open for? I know I'll have to invest some of that in kits and workshop to fit my background, but I don't think it's an unreasonable cost.

Being that he's no longer bleeding-edge SOTA, I was thinking of NOT having the best link out of the books, and forcing myself to work with something second-tier, or cooked according to the rules for upgrading. On an average run, can a hacker accomplish anything if he doesn't have the bleeding edge equipment and the entire host of programs at 5s and 6s?

Or is this, "All good and well for a novel, but just really burn the concept and go put together something out of the box with proper gear, instead of being a moron about less-than-optimal options?"
_Pax._
You can probably get by with 4's overall.

With Software Optimisation, you can get programs of 4 or 5 to run even on hardware stuck with 3's for System and Response.

Alternately, there's the Singularity Battle Buddy Basic, once MilSpec but nowadays military surplus (not cheap surplus, but, still surplus), and it's 5's across the board.
Dolanar
Working with a Technomancer gives you a bunch of leeway in how you handle your Matrix Activity. Based on your concept, I'd imagine he's used to making his own gear which lends to a decent Logic & a good software & hardware skill, building on that, perhaps some cyber to enhance his logic, as well as the tools of his trade, also you may not have the best & most SOTA commlink from the stores, but you can also build one for yourself with the specific stats you think your character might need, (which also seems to fit his style)
Teulisch
if he burns his own chips, then he SHOULD have good hardware. he probably drools over the new parts catalogs, and can recite all the really good upgrades by memory. probably wont have SOTA, as that stuff is expensive and you cant really make all of the bits in a shop. but start him out with upgraded hardware and back story it to be something he built himself. your best place to personalize and distinguish your character will be in knowledge skills- a hardware design knowledge skill for example.

for software, it depends on how up to date he stays, but he should have the best firewall and OS he can get. get the core programs at the best rating you can, and use program options for some of them. the low cost of pirated ware and the high cost of brain cells makes this a practical must have.

negative qualities, you should look at things like a hot sim addiction. if hes been doin it pre-crash, then hes a hot-sim decker by trade. scorched is another option for an older decker, just make sure he has enough willpower. do look at the AIPS neg quality in unwired, it is specificly for survivors of the crash (just be sure to have a high will, and dont take more than 1 level).

for gear- you want a number of ergonomic programs equal to the system/response of your commlink. optimize all your programs, so that you can run them at r6 even when the system slows down. look at page 114 in Unwired for the program options. hardware options, you want a custom interface(+initiative). optimization, armor, and hardening. get a cryposense link as well, it can be great for networking the team. avoid the fetch module though- you could do better by getting a second comlink optimized for browse and loading an agent onto it.

bleeding edge sota... nowadays its nanoware, geneware, and being able to get 5 IP in hot sim. and then there are the rating 7+ hardware and programs.... the kind of stuff only those current in the field even know to look for.
DnDer
I need to pick up "Unwired" tomorrow, it seems.
phlapjack77
Sounds like a fun concept! I think any most concepts can work, as long as you and the GM are on the same page about what kind of campaign it will be.

PQ-wise, I think Analytical Mind (RC 96) is a good one. Juryrigger (RC 98) tends to be a little more nebulous in what it can do, but it could be fun too. Perceptive (RC 100) adds to all perception tests, including Matrix ones.
Makki
as an old-school decker, he might feel more comfortable with a huge desktop-like machine than a wrist-worn commlink. See, if you can get him a Nexus (UW p50, 197f).
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 22 2013, 08:08 AM) *
as an old-school decker, he might feel more comfortable with a huge desktop-like machine than a wrist-worn commlink. See, if you can get him a Nexus (UW p50, 197f).
Oh no. You're not... I mean, that's...
A multi-threaded digital assault platform chock full of custom-built agents and all you have to do is issuing them commands? Ohhh come the HELL on!
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 22 2013, 05:08 PM) *

+1 with disabled wireless but have a satellite uplink that he can attach (or something similar).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 22 2013, 02:36 AM) *
Oh no. You're not... I mean, that's...
A multi-threaded digital assault platform chock full of custom-built agents and all you have to do is issuing them commands? Ohhh come the HELL on!

Indeed... My Cyberlogician uses one, complete with custom programs and Agents and Worms. It is the only way to Deck. smile.gif
DnDer
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 21 2013, 07:38 PM) *
You can probably get by with 4's overall.

With Software Optimisation, you can get programs of 4 or 5 to run even on hardware stuck with 3's for System and Response.

Alternately, there's the Singularity Battle Buddy Basic, once MilSpec but nowadays military surplus (not cheap surplus, but, still surplus), and it's 5's across the board.

Haven't been able to find this in Chummer. What source is it from, or where in Chummer should I look?
_Pax._
The commlink is from War! (IIRC).

Most of which is .... questionable, I admit. But the SBB is actually a pretty cool piece of gear, unambiguous and reasonably priced.
DnDer
I forgot to post a final character for audit. After cash spent, this is built on 772 karma... which I can probably mooch off my GM because I have a detailed backstory and a history of doing this job pre-crash. I still need to buy knowledge skills, which I was looking for some recommendations on for a retired decker-cum-chip cooker.

The concept is also supposed to reflect social engineer as much as hacker -- bluffing a secretary to get to the phone closet has never been that hard, and with nanopaste? Should be (mostly, maybe) a given. That's why the social an on-site skills. It's easier to write a couple scripts, or attach a device to one of the routing nodes than to actually hack them. Theory being, since it's already inside the facility, people aren't looking for it like they would an outside alarm or intrusion. (Who knows what reality will be, but the experience of people like Woz, Mitnick, and some of the other people who've talked about their experiences as "hackers" has been enlightening in developing this concept.)

Managed to borrow a Windows PC to chummer this one up with, so I don't have the exact math -- just a quick subtraction based on how many karma it said I had remaining vs how much $$ I spent.

I had access to RC, UW and SR4A at the time the PC was built, so I only checked those options in Chummer. Any opinions, notes, or corrections for an audit?

Meta: Human
Bod: 2
Agi: 2 (1)
Rxn: 3 (2)
Str: 2
Cha: 4
Int: 4
Log: 5
Wil: 4
Edge: 5

Ess: 5
Init: 7 (6)
Init Passes: 1 (3, matrix)

Computer: 4
Con: 4
Cybercombat: 3
Data Search: 4
Disguise: 3
Elec. Warfare: 4
Etiquette: 4
Hacking: 5
Hardware: 4
Infiltration: 3
Leadership: 3
Negotiation: 3
Palming: 3
Perception: 5
Pistols: 4
Shadowing: 3
Software: 4

"Off the Truck" Electronics Dealer (2/3)
Fixer (4/2)
Local Street Gang Leader (1/2)
MilSpec Electronics Dealer (3/2)
ShadowSea Poster (2/1)

Addiction (Mild)
AIPS 1
Analytical Mind
Juryrigger
Perceptive 1
Scorched

Lined Coat

Hammerli 620S (+60 rounds)

Cybereyes 3
Eye Recording Unit, Imagelink (came with eyes)
Smartlink
Vision Enhancement 2
Vision Magnification
Datajack
Sim Module, Hot Sim Modified

Middle Lifestyle, 3 months
2x Electronics/Microtronics Kits
1x Electronics/Microtronics Shop

"I'm travelling -- Business Model Commlink"
Novatech Airwave w/ Navi OS (3/3/4/3)
Analyze: 4
Browse: 4
Command: 5
Edit: 5
Encrypt: 5
Reality Filter: 3
Scan: 4

"I remember when this used to be the size of a keyboard Commlink"
Transys Avalon w/ Iris Orb OS (5/5/5/5)
Upgrade: Response 5
Upgrade: Signal 5
Upgrade: Firewall 5
Upgrade: System 5

(All programs purchased at rating 6... I can afford it, and from another thread, it sounds like I ~should~ do this)
Analyze
Browse
Command
Edit
Encrypt
Reality Filter
Scan

Armor
Attack
Biofeedback Filter
Black Hammer
Black Out
Data Bomb
Decrypt
Defuse
ECCM
Exploit
Medic
Sniffer
Spoof
Stealth
Track
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012