Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deckers with Remote-Control Decks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Erebus
Whew... I've been trying to get the Rigger rules down pat, and after going through the rigger section in the BBB, and Rigger 3 Revised, I've got a couple of quick (maybe) questions for all of you:

When a decker (datajack only) is connected to a remote-control deck and is controlling a remote-control network, or is accessing a remote-control network via a cyberdeck's Remote control utility w/ a Riggers Protocol Emulation Module:

A. he can only operate in captain's chair mode, correct?

B. But wouldn't he be able to control a drone/vehicle directly using the virtual dashboard rules through the remote-control network?

( I think I would allow it but the rules seem to directly oppose this even though the rigger (VCR Implanted person) would be much better at this type of function.)

C. Would he still be able to use his Matrix initiative while in captain's chair mode since he's just giving orders to drones anyway?

(Seems more cerebral than motor-function-esque to me. I understand at least from the example that riggers do use their improved initiative in captain's chair mode)

I may be opening a Pandora's Box with this. Especially with the Matrix Initiative and Virtual Dashboard thrown together... Since Initiative would depend on what you were doing at the beginning of the round. Maybe a new type of remote-control deck could come out that is made specially for non-riggers that allows them to control vehicles via a remote-control network using ASSIST instead of MSST in which they wouldn't get any Control Pool or added Initiative but could "jump" into the virtual dashboard mode....Hmmm...

mfb
a. correct.

b. no. i'm 99% sure that a virtual dashboard doesn't grant actual control of a vehicle; it only provides info in an easier-to-see format.

c. yes.
Erebus
I always understood Virtual Dashboard to be like "jumping" into the drivers position but via datajack. Where as Rigging was "jumping" into the car itself.

So you can't control a car through Virtual Dashboard going pure DNI?

Arz
QUOTE (Erebus)
I always understood Virtual Dashboard to be like "jumping" into the drivers position but via datajack. Where as Rigging was "jumping" into the car itself.

So you can't control a car through Virtual Dashboard going pure DNI?

No. Virtual dashboard is what it says. Dashboard, not a wheel and stickshift. The wheel and stickshift is surcally implanted AKA VCR.

I once allowed a sensor jumpsuit that gave people access to a control pool and acted like a lesser VCR, much like the external simsense rig. That however is a whole other ball of wax.
TinkerGnome
C. Would he still be able to use his Matrix initiative while in captain's chair mode since he's just giving orders to drones anyway?

Only if he's doing it via the Matrix. If you're jacked straight into the RCD, you obviously don't have your deck on hand to get the bonus from.
A Clockwork Lime
A datajack port allows you to control the vehicle through the neural interface. SR3 p. 306 + Common Sense since that's the entire point of the datajack port in the first place. The Virtual Dashboard is just a flavorable perk.

Note that you only need a datajack to use simsense, too. The rigs are for people who don't have any jacks.
Erebus
Arz, I'm working off the same assumption Clockwork mentions. People can plug a car into their datajack and control it that way, even without a VCR. This doesn't provide Control Pool though, as its merely "virtual" controls, not the instinctually driven VCR. My definition of the "virtual dashboard" includes the manual/DNI driven interface of controlling the vehicle in addition to perks of the HUD.

The VCR allows you to actually become the vehicle... and allows your middle brain to deal with maintaining stability and balance reflected by the fact that it provides a Control Pool.

I guess what my ultimate question is then, are datajack non-VCR controlled vehicles canon?

And if so, can you remotely (i.e. via wireless) perform that same action?

Clockwork, the only problem I have with the datajacks = simsense rigs is the fact that smartgun links include both. I've always assumed that cyberdecks perform the same function as simsense rigs via their ASSIST protocol. Where as VCRs really are like simsense rigs with the addition of connections to the middle brain.
Ancient History
A Few Notes:

1) Vehicles with a Datajack Port may be controlled by anyone with a datajack plugged into said port. This is not the same as Rigging, and there is no Control Pool involved.

2) A decker without a Vehicle Control Rig may still Rig using a Remote Control Emulation Module and RCEM Utility, both of which I do not recall if they have been updated from 2nd yet.

3) A Simsense Rig is for SimActors and Actresses to record their material, not for playback. Anyone with a simsense deck may experience a simsense, either through a datajack or trodes for those who do not have a datajack.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 22 2004, 01:55 AM)
b. no. i'm 99% sure that a virtual dashboard doesn't grant actual control of a vehicle; it only provides info in an easier-to-see format.

Better call up that 1%, 'cause it's the part that's right.

QUOTE (Rigger 3)
p118, Removed Manual Controls

A vehicle with this design option lacks any of the controls normally used for manual piloting: pedals, steering wheels, shifting levers, joysticks and so on. In their stead, the vehicle must feature either a datajack port (p. 128) or rigger adaptation (p130). To pilot the vehicle, a character must control it through the virtual dashboard, control it remotely or rig it.

~J

Edit: the answer to Question B is still no, but it's because the rules have no way to transmit the info. You'd have to be directly plugged into the datajack port on the vehicle.
mfb
oops. yeah. what he said.

but... hm. you could plug a transceiver into the datajack port on the vehicle, and a linked transceiver into your datajack, and control it that way. it'd be similar to assuming the body, except a) you wouldn't get any reaction/init bonus, b) you wouldn't get the VCR bonus to TNs, and c) you wouldn't get the lower TN penalty for defaulting. am i missing anything that'd stop that from working?
Kagetenshi
The fact that technically tranceivers only work for communications. It's a good idea, though, and I might let it work in my games.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012