Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you need one success to use pool?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Yum Donuts
Ok, I heard of a rule a while ago (It might have been in SR2, that much of a while ago) that you cannot use your combat pool unless you got at least one success with your regular skill dice.
I was looking for that rule and couldn't find it. the reason I was looking for it is because I heard something else that you had to have a success on your skill dice to use bonus dice (such as from the adept power Improved Unarmed Combat).
If the rule exists, there is a big problem with it that is not apparent above: open tests (and pseudo-open tests, like jumping).

Lets say I have the Greatleap power at level 4 and athletics at 6. so I want to jump 10 meters (quickness 6+ 4 greatleap) I only need 1 success, so if I have to get one on the 6 skill dice to use the 4 great leap dice, I can't use the dice unless I've already passed the test and then I don't need them.

So please, if you can give me a page number for that ruling (that you need a success to add pool dice), or tell me it doesn't exist, either way, I will be happy for your input.

thanks
Arethusa
To my knowledge, there is no such rool as pool and skill are rolled simultaneously.

eg I have pistols 6 and 12 cp, 6 of which I decide to toss into this shot; I then roll 12 dice, and calculate successes from there, not 6 skill dice and then 6 cp.
shadd4d
Think they ditched that rule from SR2. Now it works as Arethusa states. I remember it being in the 2nd ed combat, plus maybe in the basic dice rolling rules.

Don
RedmondLarry
No, you don't need a success with your main skill in order for your Combat Pool successes to count.

The two places where you need at least one success before getting an additional bonus are:

1) Complementary dice (and Centering) where you need at least one success on the main roll for the additional successes from the complementary skill to count.

2) Purchasing a success with Karma Pool, where you have to have at least one success already in order to buy another.
gknoy
I think it also applies when re-rolling failures: I THINK you need one success there too. But I haven't looked it up, because I am lazy.
Nikoli
It is a good idea however to roll your skill and cp separately in some cases, like dodging.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Nikoli)
It is a good idea however to roll your skill and cp separately in some cases, like dodging.

There is no skill used in a Dodge Test, so it follows that the CP dice in a Dodge Test is not rolled with your skill dice. The Athletics (Gymnastics) must be rolled beforehand as a Complex Action to gain extra dice on the Dodge Test, if that's what you meant.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Nikoli)

Or just use different colored dice for pools and skills, like the BBB suggests. wink.gif

That's what our team does. Skill / attribute dice are white with black pips, pool dice are blue with white pips.
Moon-Hawk
You might be thinking of the rule that you cannot permanently burn a point of Karma pool to buy an extra success unless you have achieved one success on the roll already.
blakkie
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Apr 22 2004, 08:52 AM)
The two places where you need at least one success before getting an additional bonus are:

1) Complementary dice (and Centering) where you need at least one success on the main roll for the additional successes from the complementary skill to count.

Ironically an Adept using Centering to jump over a pit is -exactly- like the goofy situation Yum Donuts mentioned where you have to get a success on a lesser number of dice to be able to use the extra dice...which you now don't need.
Herald of Verjigorm
In that case, use centering to compensate for the low light, moderate wound, and other penalties, so you can get the one success easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012