Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: companysupport and whatnot...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyrae
I'm thinking of getting into Shadowrun but, I have a problem when pickingup new things. See I tend to need to know how well the product is doing or how well the company is doing and who they treat their fans.
Latly i've been spending a lot of money on cool ass games from cool ass companies but, t hen something or other happens and the next thing you know it doesn't exhist anymore. Kinda sick of doing that really, so I thought i'd come here and ask what you guys/gals think of it all.
I'm sure the fan support is there, being around sinse 1989 and all. I'm just hesitant on spending money latly is all. Thanks...

Tyrae ~ Fallen Child of Magdalen
~Victory Not Vengeance~
Arcanum V
First, Shadowrun is doing well. FanPro is putting out more books per year than FASA was, and there are several upcoming books in the works. More details can be found in the Official Shadowrun Site, which is updated more often than many gaming sites. The fans are well-treated, at least here at Dumpshock. Many (all?) of the Admins here are also freelancers that write the new products and have close contact with the top level decision-makers, so we get information as directly and reliably as possible.

Second, who cares? Once you've purchased a book, it's yours. If the company folds, quits making the game line, or even writes a world-ending apocalyptic climax for the game line, so what? They can't come to your house and take your books, and you can continue playing the game for as long as you can keep inventing stories. Games shouldn't be dependent on a diet of quarterly releases from the Almighty Gaming Company to tell you what to do.
Ancient History
Venting sarcastic.gif a little, AV? wink.gif
Arcanum V
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Venting sarcastic.gif a little, AV? wink.gif

Maybe I've spent too much time around the White Wolf fans that are going through Denial and Anger stages of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' Five Stages of Grief because White Wolf is ending the WoD. They act like White Wolf is going to come confiscate their books and end their stories. frown.gif
Ancient History
Yeah. Well, we felt pretty much the same way when FASA was closing...I can't tell you how relieved I was when SR and ED were picked up again.

'Course, I don't see the problem. Few WW fans have all the sourcebooks, and they are going to start the bloody thing up again right afterwards.
Saintgrimm
AV, I spend a lot of time with those WW guys too, and yeah, a lot of them really do act like it is the end of their world. Something I never understood.

You are totally correct. You'll have your books. I imagine you still have the same imagination that spawned all those wonderful SLs and Games you've always had. Either way, everything will be all cool.
Phylos Fett
Hell, I still drag out Boot Hill and GangBusters and play them for a laugh. And I am currently playing an AD&D 1st Ed game...
Lordmalachdrim
Shadowrun isn't going anywhere. From what I can tell it's doing pretty well here in the States (and getting better as more and more people get tired of D20, and the games Hasbro/Wizards are playing, and go back to what they were playing before). Also from what I've seen Shadowrun is doing even better in Germany then here.
Tyrae
Cool, thanks a lot everyone. A real Morale booster there, so i'll have to say, i'm goign to go ahead and pick SR3rd up this weekend. I already have a ton of great ideas for some games.

Tyrae ~ Fallen Child of Magdalen
~Victory Not Vengeance~

p.s. I'm not a WW fan by the way...just thought i'd make that clear lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012