Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oculus VR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mister__joshua
Welcome to the world's first commercially available VR headset that works. The Oculus Rift.
Just found out about this. Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I thought it was cool. Caused quite a stir at CES and Carmack has picked it up in a big way.

Thought I'd share
Stahlseele
it's kinda oldish news, but somehow, not a single one of my tech pages reported on this one.
and no, carmack did not pick it up, this is his baby, his idea completely.
i hope he can deliver what he promises for less than 400 bucks . .
i had one of these HMD's with 2xFull HD in it . . and it sucked and cost 1000 bucks . .
mister__joshua
It's looking good so far, but no, it isn't Carmack's idea. That's been mis-reported all over. Carmack contacted the inventor and requested a dev kit, which he then showed off at CES running Doom. Check the link in the OP smile.gif
Shortstraw
Apparently you can order one for $300.
Stahlseele
Pre-Order, and right now, these are Dev-Kits, as far as i can tell.
Meaning inferior hardware and craftsmanship. And no supported games as of yet either.
mister__joshua
I believe this is what the prototype looks like. I think the dev kit is meant to be more like what's on the main page and that's what you get for your $300. There may not be many games supporting it yet, but not none. Doom 3 BFG is build to use Oculus Rift, and they've already got support from the big players like Valve, Epic, Unity, and the Unreal 4 engine has support built in. Hawken said it would launch with Rift support and there are already games being retro-fitted. Some good titles too. I think Mirror's Edge would be ace.

I'm getting more excited the more I read.
Stahlseele
Ouya Android Console might support it too i think.
Lionhearted
It's a good start... The early iterations are riddled with low resolution and latency issues from what I've heard.
Draco18s
Yeah, my boss showed us this a couple weeks ago.
Given how much of a hardon he has for "technology we could be developing on" I'm surprised he didn't buy/preorder one.
nylanfs
EVE Online would rock with this. smile.gif
Lionhearted
EVE got gameplay? I though it just had schemes and economic imperiums!
One does not simply play EVE Accountancy online.
(note: I love hearing about peoples exploits in EVE, but that game... It just works... differently)
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 5 2013, 06:02 PM) *
Yeah, my boss showed us this a couple weeks ago.
Given how much of a hardon he has for "technology we could be developing on" I'm surprised he didn't buy/preorder one.

see if you can get one of these as a work requirement ^^
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 5 2013, 03:31 PM) *
see if you can get one of these as a work requirement ^^

I would really rather honestly NOT have to develop for it >..x
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012