Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to draw character portraits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AStarshipforAnts
My new job doesn't start until early April, so I've got a lot of time on my hands. I'm also hoping to learn how to draw more than oval-shaped faces in prep for pursuing an art degree this fall. So why don't you guys give me a hand and give me some character descriptions? I get to practice and you get free art.

bannockburn
1. Detective Luke Parrington
2. Susan Riverflow
O'Ryan
3. Aaron O'Ryan aka "Twitch"
4. The Immortal
5. Trogdyr aka "Mr John Johnson"
KCKitsune
6. Compass
DamHawke
7. Serra Flint
8. Nightcat
Draco18s
There's probably a good number of requests over in Squinky's thread that never got done.

By the way, the link in your sig is broken.
bannockburn
Cool!
I understand the need for constant practice, so good luck and have fun with the hard work smile.gif

Detective Luke Parrington and his Partner, Susan Riverflow:
An end 20s homicide detective, norm, but looks younger. Slightly curled reddish-blonde short hair, Irish heritage. 1,84m, 89kg.
He has rugged good looks, broad cheekbones with a small scar on his upper lip, and a pointed chin, slight stubble on hollow cheeks. Smokes. Datajack in his left temple and good, but obvious cybereyes (not Batou-style, but you can see the Zeiss logo in the retina).
Usually wears good leather shoes, reinforced urban style jeans, and a standard issue Knight Errant armored jacket over a buttoned shirt with tie. Umbrella, when it's raining.

Riverflow is an ork, looks older than she is (25), so about mid 30s. Good face, a bit on the broad side, even tusks. Native American heritage, sharp nose (not as broad as most ork's). No obvious cyberware, she's an adept. Long, black hair, usually braided on the sides above the ears and pulled back in a tight pony tail. Kind of cute, if you like tusks, but with a stern look, after all she's started at LoneStar and those guys like neither metas nor women. wink.gif
About 1,90m tall, and you don't ask a woman her weight. She's in good shape, though. Broad hips, below average bust (for orks). Wears tight jeans, leather boots, buttoned shirt (uppermost two buttons open, no tie) and the same standard issue KE jacket.

Hope you can do something with this smile.gif
O'Ryan
Always willing to help out. biggrin.gif

I've got three main characters, so I'll describe all of 'em and you can pick which (if any!) strikes your fancy enough to draw.

Aaron O'Ryan aka "Twitch"
[ Spoiler ]

The Immortal
[ Spoiler ]

Trogdyr aka "Mr John Johnson"
[ Spoiler ]
KCKitsune
My character the Combat medic mage Compass

25 year old white human SURGEling with Fox tail and fox ears. 5'8" tall, 150 lbs, Gymnast's build. When on a run he wears full set of FFB and an Armored Vest.

Cyber eyes & left cyber lower leg. Main weapon of choice MGL-6 with narcojet grenades. Second weapon of choice Ares viper slivergun
DamHawke
I've got a couple if you're up for the challenge wink.gif
Serra Flint
[ Spoiler ]

Nightcat
[ Spoiler ]

Thanks a bunch mate biggrin.gif
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Feb 13 2013, 07:07 AM) *
Cool!
I understand the need for constant practice, so good luck and have fun with the hard work smile.gif

Detective Luke Parrington and his Partner, Susan Riverflow:
An end 20s homicide detective, norm, but looks younger. Slightly curled reddish-blonde short hair, Irish heritage. 1,84m, 89kg.
He has rugged good looks, broad cheekbones with a small scar on his upper lip, and a pointed chin, slight stubble on hollow cheeks. Smokes. Datajack in his left temple and good, but obvious cybereyes (not Batou-style, but you can see the Zeiss logo in the retina).
Usually wears good leather shoes, reinforced urban style jeans, and a standard issue Knight Errant armored jacket over a buttoned shirt with tie. Umbrella, when it's raining.

Riverflow is an ork, looks older than she is (25), so about mid 30s. Good face, a bit on the broad side, even tusks. Native American heritage, sharp nose (not as broad as most ork's). No obvious cyberware, she's an adept. Long, black hair, usually braided on the sides above the ears and pulled back in a tight pony tail. Kind of cute, if you like tusks, but with a stern look, after all she's started at LoneStar and those guys like neither metas nor women. wink.gif
About 1,90m tall, and you don't ask a woman her weight. She's in good shape, though. Broad hips, below average bust (for orks). Wears tight jeans, leather boots, buttoned shirt (uppermost two buttons open, no tie) and the same standard issue KE jacket.

Hope you can do something with this smile.gif

Detective Luke Parrington

Susan Riverflow

I'm only doing portraits for now, not fullbodies. Sorry if it's disappointing. OTL
bannockburn
ha! very cool! keep up the good work ^^
Lionhearted
smile.gif Practice make perfect, say... Would you be open to some constructive feedback?
O'Ryan
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 13 2013, 09:12 AM) *
Detective Luke Parrington

Susan Riverflow

I'm only doing portraits for now, not fullbodies. Sorry if it's disappointing. OTL

Looking good. smile.gif
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 13 2013, 02:55 PM) *
smile.gif Practice make perfect, say... Would you be open to some constructive feedback?

Sure thing!
DamHawke
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 14 2013, 01:12 AM) *

Lookin' good! also, yer fast as hell. wink.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 14 2013, 01:05 AM) *
Sure thing!

First I'd like to say that you really got the cheek line on the 3/4th profile down (as in slightly from an angle) You need to work on that whole profile though.
A suggestion is that you start with the outline of the head, be aware of things like how the neck link to the cheek bone and then use lines to get the right positions
Your proportions is a bit off, nose and mouth seem fine, but eyes are to small and to central.
Bear in mind that the eye socket runs like a half circle from the nose ridge. Starting out with oval/egg shapes and adding eyelids over them helps with getting shape, eyes are one of the most expressive parts of the face, together with the eyebrows, perfecting it allows for some pretty neat tricks with subtle change to add emotion.
Ears are kinda tricky aswell a good guideline is to have the top in line with the eyebrows, and the bottom near the mouth.
Oh yeah, your noses are great!
The ork one seem a bit low in relation to the eyes though.

I personally trying to learn to draw realistic portraits, so I put a lot of empathsis on shadowing, obviously not going to be something that major for the style you do, but even this style benefits alot from subtle highlights. Look at comic books for inspiration.

Now this is maybe the most important tip I have.
If you're commited to doing this.
Draw real things, draw trees draw people.
If you understand how things should look like it gives an amazing foundation for stylistic approaches.
and draw a lot!
You should really consider getting a couple of art study books of anatomy, faces and such. they're great tools.
If you have a role model in illustration seek them out! hear what they have to say. A lot of them are really kickass dudes that gives so much back.
I contacted Todd Lockwood (As in the guy that drew covers for the drizzt books and basically defined the dragon look in D&D3) Asking for advice on things like shading in colour and such.
Not only did I get a reply, he had taken time out of his day to draw actual examples! and tell me about his own experience getting into the business.
So never feel disheartened or to afraid to try smile.gif
Avoid H.R. Giger though, he's an anti-social twad that doesn't want to speak to anyone and gives a huge pretensious list on how to become "a great artist"
Shit like don't watch TV or play games...

A bit rambly, but honest and as constructive as I could make it.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 14 2013, 01:56 PM) *
First I'd like to say that you really got the cheek line on the 3/4th profile down (as in slightly from an angle) You need to work on that whole profile though.
A suggestion is that you start with the outline of the head, be aware of things like how the neck link to the cheek bone and then use lines to get the right positions
Your proportions is a bit off, nose and mouth seem fine, but eyes are to small and to central.
Bear in mind that the eye socket runs like a half circle from the nose ridge. Starting out with oval/egg shapes and adding eyelids over them helps with getting shape, eyes are one of the most expressive parts of the face, together with the eyebrows, perfecting it allows for some pretty neat tricks with subtle change to add emotion.
Ears are kinda tricky as well a good guideline is to have the top in line with the eyebrows, and the bottom near the mouth.
Oh yeah, your noses are great!
The ork one seem a bit low in relation to the eyes though.

I personally trying to learn to draw realistic portraits, so I put a lot of emphasis on shadowing, obviously not going to be something that major for the style you do, but even this style benefits a lot from subtle highlights. Look at comic books for inspiration.

Now this is maybe the most important tip I have.
If you're committed to doing this.
Draw real things, draw trees draw people.
If you understand how things should look like it gives an amazing foundation for stylistic approaches.
and draw a lot!
You should really consider getting a couple of art study books of anatomy, faces and such. they're great tools.
If you have a role model in illustration seek them out! hear what they have to say. A lot of them are really kickass dudes that gives so much back.
I contacted Todd Lockwood (As in the guy that drew covers for the drizzt books and basically defined the dragon look in D&D3) Asking for advice on things like shading in colour and such.
Not only did I get a reply, he had taken time out of his day to draw actual examples! and tell me about his own experience getting into the business.
So never feel disheartened or to afraid to try smile.gif
Avoid H.R. Giger though, he's an anti-social twad that doesn't want to speak to anyone and gives a huge pretentious list on how to become "a great artist"
Shit like don't watch TV or play games...

A bit rambly, but honest and as constructive as I could make it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm heading back to school for an art degree, so I should get plenty of chances to draw from real models. But, I'm kind of stuck in the boonies right now with little in the way of art classes or resources. I was actually going for a more realistic style than my norm, so I shrunk down the eyes a bit. But, I'll take your advice and make them a little larger. The guy I live with has a greys anatomy book, so I'll crack that open and do some more face studies with that.

I'm mostly trying to get a feel for men, since I'm used to drawing girls. What can I say, I think they're prettier.
Lionhearted
There's a couple of great portrait drawing tutorials on YT aswell, going through things experienced people never think to mention.
To apply for art studies here you need to submit a portfolio of like 30 requested pieces of everything from shapes to still life to something to demonstrate your creativity. Which is why I never dared applying.
AStarshipforAnts
O'Ryan
3. Aaron O'Ryan aka "Twitch"
4. The Immortal
5. Trogdyr aka "Mr John Johnson"
O'Ryan
Those are fantastic. biggrin.gif Thank you so much! I feel like you got a lot of the character into the portraits, which I really appreciate.
Lionhearted
So much better with the eyes, you got a pretty nice personal style.
Must say I like the metas better though.
Mantis
I'd like to expand a bit on what Lionhearted said. Draw from real life and since you have a room mate, draw him or look in a mirror and draw yourself. Work with quick sketches to get the basic form down and worry about detail later. Pay attention to how the light defines the shape and gives it volume.
You obviously have the internet so resources to draw from shouldn't be an issue. Find pics of the things you want to draw, download them and then use as a reference. See if you can find some books on drawing like ones by Burne Hogarth or Sheldon Borenstein. Hogarth is good for comic booky stuff while Borenstein is more realistic. Also find Eadweard Muybridge's plates and look those over. They are a fantastic reference for people (and animals) in motion so you can see how people move. Also, watch the eyes and try to make sure they both aim the same way. If you look at your Twitch drawing his eyes aren't looking at the same thing.
Basically learn all the classic rules for drawing so you know how and when to break them. Also good luck with school. The life drawing classes you will take will dramatically improve your drawing skills and will likely touch on the things I've mentioned. (source: experience, art school)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mantis @ Feb 14 2013, 03:14 PM) *
life drawing classes

I hated life drawing so much, myself.
Mantis
Hated them too when I started cuz I sucked at it but like anything, do it more and surprise, surprise, you get better at it. There is lots of things I learned from life drawing that made me a much better artist and it is stuff you can't really get just from books.
Avalon2099
Christian "Helmutt" Zimmerman, Former Anarchist turned Company Man

[ Spoiler ]

Jonathon Hunter Samuels, Hacker

[ Spoiler ]
AStarshipforAnts
Compass

I wasn't really sure what to do with Compass. If he looks different, tell me and I'll re-do him. smile.gif
Seriously Mike
Olga "Kestrel" Voronina, Bionic Woman
[ Spoiler ]
KCKitsune
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 15 2013, 11:00 PM) *
Compass

I wasn't really sure what to do with Compass. If he looks different, tell me and I'll re-do him. smile.gif

First off, thank you.

Now for the picture. Please make the ears bigger and wider. Look at this link for ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012