Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Called shots and vehicle armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
Hey guys,

We had a rule kerfuffle come up last night.
One of our players was shooting at an attack copter and just couldn't get through the armor.
How does the hardened vehicle armor rule work?

Can you use a narrow burst to up the attack's DV?
What about wide bursts?
Can you call a shot to increase your DV?

We weren't sure how the base damage vs. modified damage worked out against vehicles.
So do the attacks above increase the base DV or do they apply only after you've punched through the vehicle armor?
Mach_Ten
might be wrong but can you call shot a burst ?

and against armored enemies .. AV rounds or missiles seems to be the only real deterrent.
thorya
Bursts don't modify your base DV. Only net hits. So they don't help you punch through a vehicle's armor or beat spirits.

Whether you can call a shot against a vehicle for +4 is the GM's call, but I think most allow it. You can also call a shot to ignore armor with a penalty equal to the armor you ignore. Usually not the best option, but with some edge cases on vehicles it might be worthwhile.
Mach_Ten
is there core rules or optional rules about called shots on vehicle components ? (Wheels, windows, other exposed parts)

taking movement (of both parties) , and called shot and size of target area into consideration

it would be a hell of a long shot
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Feb 13 2013, 03:27 PM) *
might be wrong but can you call shot a burst ?
Yes you can, but only if the burst is done in BF mode silly.gif A Short burst in FA mode seems to be inherently much less accurate (regardless of RC) than one in BF mode.

QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Feb 13 2013, 03:38 PM) *
is there core rules or optional rules about called shots on vehicle components ? (Wheels, windows, other exposed parts)

taking movement (of both parties) , and called shot and size of target area into consideration
Yes:
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 161')
The gamemaster may also allow other specific effects for called shots if he chooses. For example, you could use called shots to knock an opponent over a ledge, shoot out a tire, temporarily blind an opponent, etc.
If and how that works however is totally up to the GM.
Makki
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Feb 13 2013, 04:38 PM) *
it would be a hell of a long shot

8 dice can be enough. Assuming your weapon is not a light pistol.
Cain
I'm not allowed to provide an example, but you can call a shot to ignore all of a vehicle's armor. You can additionally call a shot to bypass the vehicle's armor and target someone inside. The only real limit on this is that you lose a lot of dice, so calling a shot for +4 DV is probably better in some cases.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 15 2013, 10:22 PM) *
I'm not allowed to provide an example...

?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Feb 15 2013, 05:38 AM) *
?

It is a reference to his Mr. Lucky Build. Which is no different than most any other person's Mr. Lucky Build. *shrug*
It has a lot to do with going into the deep negative dice pools due to penalties, and then using your Edge to actually succeed at it.
KarmaInferno
Hmm. I recall a Missions game where a mook bypassed 18 points of armor of an APC several times to hit my character sitting inside. At the time I thought it seemed off but I was kinda new to 4th ed at that time so I kept my mouth shut.

Now that I think about it, I cannot see how a mook level opponent was hitting that many times.

This dosen't count the time a GM somehow tasered me while I was in a vehicle inside ANOTHER vehicle. That was just for dramatic effect.

-k
Cain
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 15 2013, 09:04 AM) *
It is a reference to his Mr. Lucky Build. Which is no different than most any other person's Mr. Lucky Build. *shrug*
It has a lot to do with going into the deep negative dice pools due to penalties, and then using your Edge to actually succeed at it.

To be fair, it was the first such build. Which has been improved upon, but still....
Hmm. I recall a Missions game where a mook bypassed 18 points of armor of an APC several times to hit my character sitting inside. At the time I thought it seemed off but I was kinda new to 4th ed at that time so I kept my mouth shut.

Now that I think about it, I cannot see how a mook level opponent was hitting that many times.

This dosen't count the time a GM somehow tasered me while I was in a vehicle inside ANOTHER vehicle. That was just for dramatic effect.

That's perfectly legal. Bit cheesy for NPC's, but legal.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, well, unfortunately for the NPC the response was in the form of a vehicular cannon.

smile.gif

-k
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 15 2013, 10:48 PM) *

Mooks with a dice pool of at least 19, that is weird.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 15 2013, 10:48 PM) *
How can a projectile that only deals nonlehal damage penetrate a barrier? Were the windows open?

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 17 2013, 05:47 AM) *
Yeah, well, unfortunately for the NPC the response was in the form of a vehicular cannon.
That was to be expected. If violence is not a solution, you are not using enough of it. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Feb 17 2013, 04:27 AM) *
Mooks with a dice pool of at least 19, that is weird.

How can a projectile that only deals nonlehal damage penetrate a barrier? Were the windows open?

That was to be expected. If violence is not a solution, you are not using enough of it. wink.gif

Does not require a Dice pool of 19... Just a Good Edge score. You could lose 100 Dice from your pool of 5 and still roll your Edge 7 and succeed. It is called a Longshot test. *shrug*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012