Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Portable medical scanner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK, question for everyone here. I want to make a portable medical scanner for my combat medic mage.

I recently had a problem with a bone spur on the back of my left ankle and the doctor used a very small ultrasound scanner to image the bone spur and the inflammation to my Achilles tendon.

Now the reason I brought that up is that I want to be able to replicate that in Shadowrun, but something that's like tricorder sized. I know a hand-held scanner is the right size, but with only 3 capacity which sensors do I put in it to be effective. I want to be able to use this as both an ultrasound device and as an x-ray machine. I also figure that I can put a biomonitor on my patient to get his/her vitals. The scanner would be linked up with my commlink so I don't need to include one.

I know the ultrasound part is easy, but do you do the x-ray part?

Now you may be asking why... I want to try to use this to make my character more believable. This is something that I think every medic in 2070 would carry into the field.
bannockburn
I'm guessing that's called medkit? the higher the rating, the better the scanners.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Feb 13 2013, 12:43 PM) *
I'm guessing that's called medkit? the higher the rating, the better the scanners.

I looked up the description of a medkit and it gave no indications of any sensors. It makes sense, but it's not RAW.
bannockburn
Well. It also has an expert system and gives you its rating as dice to any diagnosis tests, so ... sensors must be there. wink.gif
Don't overcomplicate things too much, IMO
_Pax._
Yeah, there are sensors involved. Otherwise the Expert System couldn't help you much at all.

There's also the Savior Medkit. Or a Valkyrie unit, if you want to install it in a vehicle.
KCKitsune
What sensors do you think comes with a Rating 6 medkit?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2013, 05:25 AM) *
What sensors do you think comes with a Rating 6 medkit?

A Medical One, of course. smile.gif
Mach_Ten
My Google-Fu is not of a very high standard but I found you this :

deviant art image

and from this

QUOTE (Quote from: SR4A @ pg. 337)
Medkit: The medkit includes drug supplies, bandages, tools,
and a (talkative) doctor-expert system that will advise the user on
techniques to handle most typical medical emergencies....

I'd say tools would cover at least ultrasound and basic diagnostic sensors (very short range x-ray) and bio monitor, so that the Know-soft doc can advise on the proper course of medication.

just my nuyen.gif 0.02
Dakka Fiend
Personally, I'd bet fNIRS given how cheap they are even today, especially compared to other medical imaging tech. Gives you pulse, blood pressure, partial blood chemistry, brain pattern analysis (only surface areas of brain) and imaging of organs (again, only close to body surface). That's with today's technology.
Oh, and no puncturing/cutting open of patient required which should go a long way to placate the manufacturers' lawyers.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 14 2013, 09:13 AM) *
A Medical One, of course. smile.gif

Obvious answer is obvious.

QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Feb 14 2013, 09:23 AM) *
I'd say tools would cover at least ultrasound and basic diagnostic sensors (very short range x-ray) and bio monitor, so that the Know-soft doc can advise on the proper course of medication. just my nuyen.gif 0.02

QUOTE (Dakka Fiend @ Feb 14 2013, 09:36 AM) *
Personally, I'd bet fNIRS given how cheap they are even today, especially compared to other medical imaging tech. Gives you pulse, blood pressure, partial blood chemistry, brain pattern analysis (only surface areas of brain) and imaging of organs (again, only close to body surface). That's with today's technology.
Oh, and no puncturing/cutting open of patient required which should go a long way to placate the manufacturers' lawyers.

Thank you Mach_Ten & Dakka Fiend. This is what I was looking for.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012