Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Echo Mirage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kishe
Hello! I would like to start a Shadowrun game with some of my friends, but as of right now I only have one player/character. So in the time that it takes to find more players (however long that'll take frown.gif ), I would like to flesh out some story ideas, hooks etc.

Since I am a first time GM, the player I have was nice enough to leave open ended hooks in his character's backstory. One of them was that his father recently disappeared, while another was that someone/something/some organization covers his character's back by getting rid of any incriminating datatrails his character leaves behind, a la the Erased quality. I was also wanting to incorporate some of the background of Shadowrun, since my group will most likely have several player's new to Shadowrun. So I looked at the history in SR20A again, and came up with the idea that the character's father is an ex-Echo Mirage member and he got called in for something big (dunno what yet), and he or some of his buddies looks after his family semi-secretly (the character's father once told him that 'Everything is taken care of.'), including anything to do with the Erased quality. I -think- the timeline works out, I'll have to double check though.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was any more information on Echo Mirage, whether it be in other sourcebooks or novels/short stories. Anything, really. And do you DumpShockers have any other advice to give to a first time GM? Tips, tricks, dos and don't dos, I'll take everything. biggrin.gif

-K.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Kishe @ Feb 22 2013, 01:27 PM) *
Hello! I would like to start a Shadowrun game with some of my friends, but as of right now I only have one player/character. So in the time that it takes to find more players (however long that'll take frown.gif ), I would like to flesh out some story ideas, hooks etc.

Since I am a first time GM, the player I have was nice enough to leave open ended hooks in his character's backstory. One of them was that his father recently disappeared, while another was that someone/something/some organization covers his character's back by getting rid of any incriminating datatrails his character leaves behind, a la the Erased quality. I was also wanting to incorporate some of the background of Shadowrun, since my group will most likely have several player's new to Shadowrun. So I looked at the history in SR20A again, and came up with the idea that the character's father is an ex-Echo Mirage member and he got called in for something big (dunno what yet), and he or some of his buddies looks after his family semi-secretly (the character's father once told him that 'Everything is taken care of.'), including anything to do with the Erased quality. I -think- the timeline works out, I'll have to double check though.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was any more information on Echo Mirage, whether it be in other sourcebooks or novels/short stories. Anything, really. And do you DumpShockers have any other advice to give to a first time GM? Tips, tricks, dos and don't dos, I'll take everything. biggrin.gif

-K.

Depending on the year, I think most of Echo Mirage is dead. I don't recall any big write-ups on them, though, just the history bits in the edition setting introductions.
Kishe
From what I read in the history section, the surviving members disappeared/went into the private sector. And that as of now, no one knows where any of them are. It didn't say anything about them being dead, but I could be missing something.
X-Kalibur
They remained surprisingly tight lipped on Echo Mirage in the setting. I still stand by Damien Knight being the former Echo Mirage team leader. Explains the nanosecond buyout really damn well.
bannockburn
[ Spoiler ]

Canonically, 7 of the 32 members of Echo Mirage survived the first crash and the fight against the virus
Alice Haeffner was one of them, KIA, ghosted into the machine. Incidentally ex-wife of someone called Kyle Haeffner, who went on to become president.
Another member was Buddy, who died horribly in some novel or the other (I forgot which one).
Michael Eld was, together with Ken Roper a matrix pioneer and both were veterans of Echo Mirage, killed in a 'car crash' and an accident in the bathroom, after which cyberdeck technology was aquired by Richard Villiers.

That leaves three unknown survivors, as Alice was considered one of the victims. You could work with that or let the father be someone who found out about one of the three and 'had to go' wink.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Feb 22 2013, 11:40 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Canonically, 7 of the 32 members of Echo Mirage survived the first crash and the fight against the virus
Alice Haeffner was one of them, KIA, ghosted into the machine. Incidentally ex-wife of someone called Kyle Haeffner, who went on to become president.
Another member was Buddy, who died horribly in some novel or the other (I forgot which one).
Michael Eld was, together with Ken Roper a matrix pioneer and both were veterans of Echo Mirage, killed in a 'car crash' and an accident in the bathroom, after which cyberdeck technology was aquired by Richard Villiers.

That leaves three unknown survivors, as Alice was considered one of the victims. You could work with that or let the father be someone who found out about one of the three and 'had to go' wink.gif

Has that been stated as canon somewhere? Not that I doubt it, I'm just curious to the source.
bannockburn
One of the Dragonheart books and it's been hinted at strongly elsewhere.

Clockwork Asylum, Target: UCAS, Corporate Download, IIRC.
X-Kalibur
I thought it was only strongly hinted at, hadn't remembered it being stated in one of the Dragonheart books. My bad.
Kishe
Thanks for the info! Any idea where I could find those books/stories that you mentioned?

Anyways, I may have to veer away from canon after all - the player's character is an elf. Which reminds me of another question: what age is the equivalent of a 30-something-year-old human for elves, maturation-wise?
Pepsi Jedi
Wasn't it hinted that Fastjack was a part of it? Conflicting with his 'generally accepted age' ?
Mantis
@Kishe: Elves just live longer, they don't mature slower like in D&D. A 30 year old elf is as mature as a 30 year old human.
As for the stories, look for E-book versions or else hit the used book stores or E-bay as they are all from previous editions of SR.
IridiosDZ
QUOTE (Kishe @ Feb 22 2013, 01:27 PM) *
Since I am a first time GM,....

...... And do you DumpShockers have any other advice to give to a first time GM? Tips, tricks, dos and don't dos, I'll take everything. :D

-K.

First rule (IMO) to remember as a GM is that it's about the story more so than the rules. The rules can be quite complex, especially when you are trying to remember them on the fly. If you need to fudge, bend, or handwave something to keep the story flowing, do so. You can either come up with justification or clarification later. As time goes on you will remember the rules better and need less time to look things up.

In other words, Have Fun!
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 23 2013, 12:01 AM) *
Wasn't it hinted that Fastjack was a part of it? Conflicting with his 'generally accepted age' ?

I forget which book it is, but Fastjack says at one point, "I know people think I was part of [Echo Mirage], but I wasn't. I knew them though, and they were damn fine people."

Might have been the 3rd edition history chapter, or the Matrix chapter.
crazyconscript
QUOTE (Kishe @ Feb 22 2013, 08:03 PM) *
Anyways, I may have to veer away from canon after all - the player's character is an elf. Which reminds me of another question: what age is the equivalent of a 30-something-year-old human for elves, maturation-wise?

I dont see why being an Elf would actually be that big of an obstacle. Mixed-race relations end up with offspring being full-blooded of either side. So a human/elf coupling has about a 50/50 chance of each kid being an elf. Same as a dwarf/troll couple is likely to have half their children be full dwarfs and half be full trolls. So the father could easily have been a human who hooked up with an elf lady
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Feb 23 2013, 09:32 AM) *
I forget which book it is, but Fastjack says at one point, "I know people think I was part of [Echo Mirage], but I wasn't. I knew them though, and they were damn fine people."

Might have been the 3rd edition history chapter, or the Matrix chapter.

That was probably it. Thanks!
Wakshaani
Let's see.

Damien Knight was 99% likely the head of the Echo Mirage project.
Lucien Cross was 95% likely to have been involved as well, but more on the technical side.
"Buddy" was an Echo member who made it out with some mental issues. Supposedly killed in 2XS, but it's been a decade since I read it last.
Two Echo members created the first commercial cyberdeck, but Richard Villers had 'em killed and took their stuff.
Alice Haeffner was KIA. Her husband (now dead) *might* have been a member; it was never made clear.
Two engineers/scientists from Echo Mirage went to work for Dr Halbertsam, plugging infants into the Matrix.

To my knowledge, these comprise the entire batch of survivors (Or, in Alice's case, the not-quite-survivors) ... there might be one never-named member for use in people's private campaigns, of course. Keep in mind, Echo Mirage was formed in '29, and only seven people walked out of there. That's, what? 45 years ago? EVeryone's in at *least* their 60's, and probably older, if not cacked.
bannockburn
Cross and Hugh Haeffner weren't members, but probably involved, yes.

Where's the info on the Halberstam guys?
Mantis
Do you mean Halberstam's babies? That is in the original matrix book I believe. Creepy little story.
CanRay
QUOTE (Mantis @ Feb 23 2013, 03:42 PM) *
Do you mean Halberstam's babies? That is in the original matrix book I believe. Creepy little story.
More than just there...
darthmord
QUOTE (Mantis @ Feb 23 2013, 02:42 PM) *

I have that book on my shelf. smile.gif

I still like Lenny.
Sengir
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Feb 23 2013, 07:17 PM) *
and only seven people walked out of there.

AFAIK that number has never been given officially, probably for the same reason you already mentioned: To be able to bring up a previously unmentioned member...given the chaos of the crash and the members' skills in erasing inconvenient data, it would not even require much suspension of disbelief.
Nath
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Feb 23 2013, 07:17 PM) *
Damien Knight was 99% likely the head of the Echo Mirage project.
Lucien Cross was 95% likely to have been involved as well, but more on the technical side.
"Buddy" was an Echo member who made it out with some mental issues. Supposedly killed in 2XS, but it's been a decade since I read it last.
Two Echo members created the first commercial cyberdeck, but Richard Villers had 'em killed and took their stuff.
Alice Haeffner was KIA. Her husband (now dead) *might* have been a member; it was never made clear.
Two engineers/scientists from Echo Mirage went to work for Dr Halbertsam, plugging infants into the Matrix.
There are multiple references to David Gavilan/Damien Knight being the "leader" or "head" of Echo Mirage. However, the Echo Mirage was started before the 2029 Crash, while Gavilan seemingly joined after. There is an Echo Mirage "Team One" that few cares about (afterall, they failed, and a bunch of them died). The seven survivors, out of thirty-two, including Gavilan, are the members of "Team Two," recruited and trained after the predecessors' failure.

Lucien Cross is very unlikely. It is never mentionned or even suggested anywhere, even in Game Information. He worked with Gavilan/Knight at Acquisition Technologies and on the Nanosecond Buyout, and that's it. Whenever the name of an Echo Mirage team member has been mentionned on Shadowland or Jackpoint, his participation appeared to be a widely known fact. Knight is the only exception, but only because he used a fake identity. Since he has a son and a nephew called Cross, Lucien Cross ought to be his real name. Cross is quebecois, so it makes sense that, in spite of his skills, he wasn't recruited in a US top secret project.

The same line for reasoning goes for Kyle Haeffner. He campaigned once for vice-presidency and twice for presidency. If he had any part in the Echo Mirage project, beside marrying a member, I think we'd have at least a mention somewhere. As far as we know, he's just a lawyer (though I suspect he could have been involved in the Nanosecond Buyout, setting up the trust funds though which Damien Knight gave money to the family of the Echo Mirage deceased members).

Here are some references I was able to dig. Some of them are in-context and to be used with caution (either because people can lie or simply be misinformed or misunderstand), some others are Game Information.
Corporate Shadowfiles
Major David Gavilan of the United States Air Force, liaison to the National Security Agency, headed up the Echo-Mirage project back after the Crash of '29! He disappeared in late 2031 after the Echo Mirage team purged the computer virus and the project closed.

Super Tuesday, page 12
Knight proposes Boston-area investor and multi-millionaire Kyle Haeffner, an old friend of Knight's. Haeffner's wide Alice was one of the young "data mavericks" recruited by Echo Mirage to deal with the Crash Virus more than twenty-five years ago, and was also one of the first deckers killed by the virus in cybercombat. [...] Haeffner and Knight are linked by their common background, and Knight feels Haeffner has the skills to make the perfect VP for the great dragon. Knight also knows that Haeffner will be loyal to him first and the wyrm second, exactly the state of affairs he wants.

Clockwork Asylum
(two dialogues between Alice Haeffner and Thomas Roxborough)
"I've pinned the origin of the virus to three possible hosts. Your system at Acquisition Technologies, Gossamer Threads, or the old NASA mainframes. Both Dunkelzahn, who owned Gossamer Threads before his death, and NASA lost a great many assets during the crash. You, however, only lost data pertaining to one corporation. That in itself points a lot of blame in your direction."
[...]
"Okay, it begins way back with my corporation, Acquisition Technologies. It was a small corp, but we had a drek-hot programming department. I ran it, and David Gavilan was my top code maestro. Dunkelzahn had very little to do with the corporation except that he owned a small portion. Until one day, I learned that the wyrm was planning to hire Gavilan away from us. This started a little corporate data war. I instructed my programming team to come up with the most deadly computer virus ever constructed. My intention was to destroy the data cores of Dunkelzahn's Gossamer Threads Corporation. Nothing more. Gavilan worked on the project, everyone did."
"I don't believe you."
"Finally, the truth and you don't buy it."
"What happened?"
"We tried a small corp first to see if the virus would work. We unleashed it on Effexx Studios and it destroyed them completely. At first we were overjoyed, but then something happened. It was a complicated program, self-replicating, self-correcting, all that. It got out in the old Internet and infected hundreds of computer systems. It was an accident, don't you see? We never intended to hurt anyone."
"What happened to David?"
"Dunkelzahn met with him to discuss moving to Gossamer Threads, and he saw the virus in David's mind. Dunkelzahn knew what we had done and he convinced David to quit Acquisition Technologies and go to work for the UCAS government to fight the virus. The rest of us were busy trying to hide our involvement, and with all the computer systems crashing, that wasn't too hard to do."

Blood in the Boardroom, page 57
Damien Knight's Nanosecond Buyout made some men rich who had never touched the stock market. Among them was Lucien Cross, a young programming genius from Québec. Cross was a computer expert with the "investigative research" division - another name for in-house corporate spies - of Acquisition Technologies. As David Gavilan, Knight had worked with Cross on numerous projects for Acquisition Technologies.

Shadowrun, 3rd edition, page 28-29
The breakthrough that did the most to make our wired-up world what it is today came between 2026 and 2029, when Sony Cybersystems, Fuchi Industrial Electronics and RCA-Unisys all developed prototype cyberterminals that allowed users to interface with the world data network via the central nervous system. [...] Over the next few years, various R&D gurus refined the technology and made it safer, much to the glee of certain agencies in the US gummint. The CIA, NSA and IRS pooled their resources to exploit cyberterminals as quickly as they could manage, recruiting and training a team of “cyber-commandos” under the code name Echo Mirage.
And not a moment too soon, as it happened.
On February 8, 2029, computer systems across the world got hit with apparently random attacks by a virus nastier than anything ever seen before. System after system crashed, their data wiped clean and even their hardware burned out. As the killer program spread, governments toppled and the world economy neared collapse. The virus shattered the Grid, the data network that held the world together. We were back on the road to apocalypse, this time via the virtual world—unless someone could stop the bug.
Echo Mirage swung into action almost immediately by presidential order, but the psychological demands of combat in cyberspace overwhelmed the mostly straight-arrow, linearthinking agents. So the folks in charge recruited the most brilliant data-processing mavericks from industry and several universities, ramming them through a brutal training program. Thirty-two men and women graduated with their sanity intact.
In August, armed with improved cybertech, the new Echo Mirage team mounted a coordinated attack on the killer program. Eighteen minutes after engaging the virus, four members of Echo Mirage were dead. The data logs showed that the virus program induced lethal biofeedback in humans accessing the Matrix, and also that no existing computer security could even slow down someone using a cyberterminal. [...]
But back to Echo Mirage. Equipped with new combat programs and beefed-up cyberterminals that used desk-sized hardware and needed no sensory deprivation tank, the remaining Echo Mirage team began purging the Grid of infection. Late in 2031, Echo Mirage wiped out the last known concentration of the virus code. Shortly afterward, four of the surviving seven members decamped into the private sector, taking with them the secrets of the new technology. To this day no one is sure just where they turned up (though some of us have our suspicions).

Corporate Download, page 35
I have conclusive proof that Knight used to be known as David Gavilan, leader of the Echo Mirage project that fought the Crash virus. [...] The picture comes from the records of Alice Haeffner, a fellow member of the Echo Mirage team who died fighting the Crash virus. Alice was the wide of - you guessed it - Kyle Haeffner.

Matrix, page 14
2028 : The U.S. government creates Echo Mirage, a "cyber-commando" group intended to take advantage of cyberterminal technology. [...]
2031 : Echo Mirage eradicates the last trace of the virus.

Matrix, page 152
On February 8, 2029, the worldwide Matrix was hit with a self-duplicating, chaos logic, multifunctional virus. It erased data, crashed systems and even caused software to rewrite itself in order to damage hardware. The world had never seen anything like it. The U.S. military, backed by some of the most cutting-edge tech the U.S. corps could devise, created the Echo Mirage project. Thirty-two men and women would be the first to fight a new war on a new battlefield with all-new weapons-their brain and an anti-virus program that verged on being an SK, years before such programming was though possible.
By 2031 the virus was gone, and the anti-virus was so powerful and so adept at finding the last remaining code of the virus that during the last six months of Echo Mirage, the casualty rate dropped off completely: none of the team members died. That did not, unfortunately, make up for the fact that twenty-five members had died in the previous eighteen months.
The anti-virus’s work was done, but its code was golden. The U.S. government kept a tight seal on the anti-virus and much OF its proprietary code, but as the seven survivors OF Echo Mirage left the government they took with them their knowledge, their experiences and, in some cases, the actual code of the anti-virus. Two of these were Ken Roper and Michael Eld, co-founders of Matrix Systems and creators of the first cyberdeck."

Blood in the Boardroom, page 57
Cross Was a computer expert with the investigative research division - another name for in-house spies - of Acquisition Technologies. As David Gavilan, Knight had worked with Cross on numerous projects for Acquisition Technologies. The two had a great deal for each other's programming abilities [...]

Corporate Guide, page 53
Though several theories about his true origin and the reasons for his change of identity persist, the leading hypothesis is that “Damien Knight” is in fact one David Gavilan. A former UCAS military computer analyst and programmer, Major David Gavilan was lead programmer with the Echo Mirage project, the team of expert hackers assembled to fight the computer virus that caused the first Crash way back in 2029

> Which is where he supposedly met Kyle Haeffner, who Knight helped into the Oval Office in ’57. Haeffner’s wife Alice was one of the first casualties in the fight against the virus.
> FastJack

After the Crash, Gavilan resurfaced in the Investigative Research Division at Acquisition Technologies, a third-tier corp specializing in industrial espionage and a precursor of corporate intelligence divisions such as Shiawase’s MFID or independent intel corps such as Infolio or Aegis Cognito. It’s reasonable to assume that Gavilan used Acquisition Technologies to organize and choreograph his masterstroke and vanished a few weeks before the Nanosecond Buyout.

Kishe
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. biggrin.gif

However, it still looks like I'll have to veer from canon. The character's father is also an elf, and originally from Tír na nÓg, though he later (2046-ish) immigrated to UCAS. (I for some reason thought that Echo Mirage was a joint task-force type thing, not UCAS-only.)

Or maybe I can find another way for him to be involved. Regardless, thanks for all the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012