Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red X Comlinks For Everyone!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowPavement
So my crew and I are gearing up for another SR campaign and I was considering ways of getting the crew together.

One player really seems to want some of the PC's to start off knowing each other. My wife doesn't really like that Idea and wants the PC's to meet each other during the first session. While trying to resolve this I remembered that one of the PC's in my last game had a Red X Comlink that was the source of alot of in-game humor, speculation, and adventure.

So my first thought is "Give them all Red X links to start with" and have them meet through that.

So I'm posing that possibility to the boards to get thoughts and feedback. I think it would be interesting, especially if PC's end up getting different info from their links on the same run.

What do folk think about that?
FuelDrop
I am evidently missing something here, so could you quickly clarify: What is a 'Red X' commlink?

Yes, I am a n00b.
bannockburn
Commlinks you may find at your door one day.
They seem completely innocuous, but sometimes you'll get calls. "Deliver a pack of cigarettes to the nice old lady next door and you'll get a karmic reward" or somesuch. If you do, well, one day someone may give you a pack of ammo when you need it. If not, something bad may happen ^^
They are from an organisation called "The Exchange", which stretches back into 3rd edition if I'm not mistaken. It's basically a VPN, just as jackpoint is, but without the members knowing who else is a member. You become a member by getting a red x commlink. No one knows much about it, but a bit of info is on p.83 Unwired.

In answer to the OP: I've used the Exchange before in my games and while it's a little bit mysterious, it can be great fun. It is, however, something the players need to dig. It is completely impossible to use if they are too paranoid, so you need to clear that up beforehand. Other than that, the Exchange is basically an unlimited adventure source, just without payment.
ShadowPavement
Doh! I forgot that they were originally listed in 3rd Ed.

I used it the first time for a PC because the PC's was feeling a little lackluster in the game. Giving him the link suddenly added a needed dose of flavor to the character and his activities.

I thought it would be interesting to have one in the party again, but didn't want to have it be the same kind of thing as in the last game, so I figured each character having it would be a nice twist.

When I used it the first time I upped the interaction level after certain story points. It started off with just little delivery type jobs with some gear as karmic rewards. After the end of the first story arc the link began giving the PC job offers. At that point I actually stated the link up as a contact. Towards the end of the second story arc I actually had the link give the PC hints and options during runs.

We never got into exploring the existence of the link or the Exchange. Maybe this is a good opportunity for that.
Seriously Mike
Welp, when my players got their Red X commlinks (not actual Red X commlinks, but similar enough), I planned to crawl them through a false flag op performed by at least three independent teams. One was supposed to source a couple crates of explosives, other one a truck, and third one was to build a bomb from the explosives and put it on the truck.
Novocrane
The Exchange is a seemingly anonymous virtual private network (VPN) established for doing and receiving favors. Its central focus is the notion of “pay it forward.” The Exchange works as a background utility that tracks a member’s location and situation. It constantly analyzes the member’s situation and compares this information with the physical locations and assets of other members. At those times when another member might be of assistance to a member, it may call on one of those other members for an act of minor assistance. Members who respond to the VPN’s requests for assistance become more likely to receive assistance in the future.

A car might block an alley just in time to allow a member to escape pursuit. A loud noise might divert someone’s attention at just the right instant. The backdoor to a club might open just as a member needs to get inside. It’s unclear who has access to The Exchange database. However, it’s important to realize that the entity behind the VPN knows a great deal about the personalities, locations, and activities of all of the members.

Runner's Companion, for anyone who was wondering.
hermit
They are from an organisation called "The Exchange", which stretches back into 3rd edition if I'm not mistaken. It's basically a VPN, just as jackpoint is, but without the members knowing who else is a member. You become a member by getting a red x commlink. No one knows much about it, but a bit of info is on p.83 Unwired.

Second Edition, they were in Target: Matrix, if I am not mistaken. Or maybe in VR 2.0.
Daier Mune
If you're looking for story ideas, check out a comic called Global Frequency, written by Warren Ellis.
hermit
It has a different spin on the idea, but I'd guess the red commlinks originated there. Shadowrun borrowed a lot from Warren Ellis.
Umidori
"You think I'm stupid, huh? I look stupid to you? I know you aren't telling me everything. You helped me get into this mess! You told me it would be exciting, didn't you? Well I'm fucking bored! I'm done man, I've had it! I want out! And you're gonna tell me how! This stupid game's gonna end now, you hear me?!?"

"Look here, punk! I've got some things I need to know. Who are the people who keep leaving me messages? I won't hesitate to pull you apart if I have to!"

~Helmet
hermit
Listen to the chair leg of truth.
Shaidar
One of my players opted to go a similar route. SR 2050 timeframe game using SR4 Rules.

PC is a genetic experiment (unique metavariant) rescued as a gentlemen's bet between 2 PTB's (Powers-That-Be). Harkening back to "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd, with a twist in the form of a Pocket Secretary and a blocked number calling/texting with instructions.
Mystweaver
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Mar 4 2013, 04:18 PM) *
The Exchange is a seemingly anonymous virtual private network (VPN) established for doing and receiving favors. Its central focus is the notion of “pay it forward.” The Exchange works as a background utility that tracks a member’s location and situation. It constantly analyzes the member’s situation and compares this information with the physical locations and assets of other members. At those times when another member might be of assistance to a member, it may call on one of those other members for an act of minor assistance. Members who respond to the VPN’s requests for assistance become more likely to receive assistance in the future.

A car might block an alley just in time to allow a member to escape pursuit. A loud noise might divert someone’s attention at just the right instant. The backdoor to a club might open just as a member needs to get inside. It’s unclear who has access to The Exchange database. However, it’s important to realize that the entity behind the VPN knows a great deal about the personalities, locations, and activities of all of the members.

Sounds like it could be an AI!
Lansdren
I have the red X links turn up in a game,

was alot of fun the very paranoid person in the group kept shooting the link and a new one would turn up the next morning as others in the group were doing the jobs once they worked out it was a good deal.
Novocrane
QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Mar 6 2013, 08:27 PM) *
Sounds like it could be an AI!

Urge to play a completely matrix-based, well-connected AI rising ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012