Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Net Gain; A game where you play as the megacorp
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mraston
Just saw this Kickstarter campaign for a game which looks very interesting for a Shadowrun fan. You play a broker in a megacorp, doing the things a megacorp does to dick over your competitors. The pitch video even uses the words "shadow wars".

It looks VERY inspired by Shadowrun, but a nice twist on the setting where you play the bad guy.

It game reminds me of a crossover of Syndicate and Simcity with the backstory of Shadowrun.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/levelz...orate-espionage

(Oh by the way, I'm not a corporate drone for the project just thought it would fit in here).
nezumi
Wait, I thought the shadowrunners were the bad guys.
Stahlseele
There are no good guys.
Only guys.
mraston
If while playing you generally play a shadowrunner, who has chosen the life of a shadowrunner because they dislike the corporate existence manufactured by the megacorps AND by choosing said existence leads you to live the life of an outlaw ostracized by the community at large AND if in many of the jobs you take as a shadowrunner you find yourself working against the interest of certain megacorps AND the employees of said certain megacorp end up shooting at you to end your life, I would say the megacorps could classify as the bad guys.

Insomuch as they seem to be monolithic force in between you and happiness.
nezumi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 5 2013, 04:27 PM) *
Only guys.

And elf-stripper-lesbians.

I do like mraston's explanation though. Should probably put that in a game description somewhere.
Draco18s
Totally backing this. Thanks for the heads up.

*Spreads it around*
Seriously Mike
They need 16K and already got 10K. However, their "preorder" donation tier is a bit higher than usual.

Gee, I wonder if they could do it for Android. Cloud sync for savegames welcome, but not necessary.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Mar 6 2013, 10:32 AM) *
However, their "preorder" donation tier is a bit higher than usual.

...$20?

Not really.

Hero-U, $20
Star Citizen, $30
Blackspace, $35 Earlybird
FTL: Faster Than Light, $25
SRO, $25 (for the campaign server)
SRR, $15
Seriously Mike
Well, ROAM and Castle Story had them for $15.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Mar 6 2013, 05:12 PM) *
Well, ROAM and Castle Story had them for $15.

Which what, brings the average down to about $20?
Sintua
Hey everybody, Corporate Drone Developer for the project reporting.

Net Gain actually is directly inspired from Shadowrun when I ran games for my friends! I thought making their runners go on missions for this elaborate scheme I was thinking of for the Johnson was a lot of fun, and wished there was a computer game that hit that aspect of strategy. Couple years later and here we are!

And yep, there are only guys (and girls). Some just happen to have nicer suits than others.

We just got picked up by Rock Paper Shotgun, so we'll probably be blowing past that 16k goal and onto our War Room stretch goal within a day!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sintua @ Mar 7 2013, 08:21 PM) *
Hey everybody, Corporate Drone Developer for the project reporting.

Haha, we've got you over here and Sparkbolt over on the Bay12 forums (some good Q&A going on over there too, check it out Dumpshockers).
Sintua
(Same person, different username!)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sintua @ Mar 7 2013, 09:06 PM) *
(Same person, different username!)

Ah! Well then. Happy to have you. smile.gif
Novocrane
I got more of a Corporation: the RPG feel than Shadowrun. Bulletproof agent in a slick suit, mowing down security.

Put $30 towards it, so now I'm just (im)patiently waiting for it to come out.
Summerstorm
Ah, just a s a reminder: I am totally onboard with this game... but as an average european (or not that average, i don't know): I don't have a credit card.

Do you/these guys do a paypal donation drive after you/those make it on kickstarter? (So far you have like 98% done and 22 days... so congratulations *g*)

Also: looks fun, but for that kind of cash you will be getting... hard to turn that into "game content". That is a problem with a lot of super-hyped kickstarters. Builds up pressure real bad, i guess. (Ask for 20k, so you and a friend can work on it half a year - get 150.000 - what to do, to make the game reflect that?)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Mar 8 2013, 11:37 AM) *
(Ask for 20k, so you and a friend can work on it half a year - get 150.000 - what to do, to make the game reflect that?)

Take forever and have people bitch about it. "Blah blah balh, I am glad your successfully funding blah blah blah produce a better printed product, blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean you can just delay a whole year. Whine whine whine, girlfriend is going to college, blah blah blah, that was not the schedule I was backing..."

No really. That was an actual complaint about the project I'm involved in. We made 10 times what we asked for, and because it took us a year to legitimately produce the art assets that level of funding desired, some guy bitched that he won't get the game until after his girl leaves for college and he won't see her for over a year. And it's like, "dude, you have a print and play version."
Sintua
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Mar 7 2013, 08:25 PM) *
I got more of a Corporation: the RPG feel

Shadowrun birthed it, but during my research building the game I found Corporation, not having played it before. It's definitely got a lot of that same feel!

I wasn't considering a paypal donation scheme at the time...I was waiting until the prototype was released to begin the whole "putting it on stores" bit and letting people purchase it through steam. Ideally i want more of my focus to be on development than handling sales. If there's enough demand before this is over I might launch one.

The extra funds will basically *extend* development, so it'll still launch the same, but instead of having to end it when the funds would have run out, i can continue and develop the features in the stretch goals. Just like the rest of it, I'd be including the core features of the stretch goals and iterating them over time. If it comes to hiring an extra coder/artist, then certain things may get there faster... but since the game is coming out as a prototype FIRST then evolving, instead of only releasing when it hits 1.0, it won't increase waiting time.
Sintua
And we're funded! Check up on the Stretch Goal Update to see if maybe The War Room sounds like something you're excited about!
Sengir
QUOTE (Sintua @ Mar 9 2013, 01:12 AM) *
Shadowrun birthed it, but during my research building the game I found Corporation, not having played it before. It's definitely got a lot of that same feel!

Hmmm, can we get Public Appropriation licenses? biggrin.gif

And on a more serious note, what kind of graphics can we expect in the finished product? Especially the menus currently look a bit like SimCity 2000 or something from that age...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (mraston @ Mar 4 2013, 06:07 PM) *
It looks VERY inspired by Shadowrun, but a nice twist on the setting where you play the bad guy.

The only thing missing from this to make it Shadowrun would be the return of magic.
CanRay
I'm not allowed on Kickstarter any more. frown.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2013, 01:22 PM) *
I'm not allowed on Kickstarter any more. frown.gif

I know, right? I can't help myself. Money just keeps flowing at cool people doing/trying to do cool stuff.

I've started to say "no" to board games, because it's neigh impossible to get my family to play.
Summerstorm
Ah, nearly forgot about this...

Seems like they did open up for paypal donation.

http://www.levelzerogames.com/blog/paypal-bonus-round/

So: yepp they got my money *g*.
Now, let us see what comes of this.
Fatum
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 9 2013, 07:22 PM) *
And on a more serious note, what kind of graphics can we expect in the finished product? Especially the menus currently look a bit like SimCity 2000 or something from that age...
And what is the problem with that?
Sintua
Hey everyone! For those of you who backed the game, we got it up on Desura! I also put up an introductory video to give you some grounding to start off with, and to show what the game is like at this early stage. I think with 2-3 more months of development, it might be in a good spot to do a public alpha.

New Introduction Video on Youtube! cyber.gif
Jack VII
Neat! Looks like a fun game. A fusion of that and a SR game would be pretty entertaining. Basically playing as the Johnson to other people's Shadowrunners.
Fatum
I play DF, but hell if I know what's going on on the screen in this video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012