Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Writing new settings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FXcalibur
I know, I know, so new and yet so eager to change the rules and/or make something new smile.gif Well, really there's lots of things I can see that might be added to the shadowrun world that would be really cool, or at least I think so. I have ideas for a SR setting 100 years in the future, with a few new (although admittedly not totally original) ideas, such as Mecha, plasma weaponry, alienware, a wireless matrix. I'm fairly confident of writing up enough over time by my lonesone, but while I can simply just keep my efforts to my group, I'm here wondering if I should turn this into a full scale project. As in, put together a decent sourcebook.

To be honest, I was always apprehensive about introducing new things into SR. I always ran into some kind of opposition and the general idea I got was that apart from a few questionable rules, canon and specifically the canon setting should not be tampered with. And I also got a whole lot of anti-anime vibes (I'd be flat out stupid to claim mechs as anti anime...well, maybe mechwarrior mechs, but I'm including both types in, so...)

In short, I was just wondering if this kind of effort or discussion is welcome here. If so, maybe I might be able to cook up something relatively decent with enough time biggrin.gif and I could toss my ideas against you guys. But if not (and it's pretty possible, seeing as how I can't find player settings (not counting adventures) anywhere, then I guess I'm too much of a dreamer =/
shadd4d
I'm still waiting on robotic warheads. Missles just became insanely dangerous.

EMP weapons would also be interesting.

A big question though is how the shadow community continues to function. A feeling I had before SR3 was a stagnation in the shadow community. I don't yet see shadowrunners in space (how?), unless someone comes up with better space travel that is 1) cheap, 2) possible on such as scale that we don't need to know exact weights of all cargo, human or otherwise.

Don
FXcalibur
Edit: Nah, I'm not good at this...I'll stick to regular games.
lspahn72
QUOTE (shadd4d)
A feeling I had before SR3 was a stagnation in the shadow community. I don't yet see shadowrunners in space

The thing with space basicly no magic. This really alienates your magical characters.

Unless...You have a "Bio-Dome" type corp structure on the moon. Then i would think you could lower the background count considerably. maybe to a 2? I mean, in a bio-dome you would have a much higher concentration of life than say, on the corner of dirty and Smelly street in the redmonds?
FXcalibur
I'm not too sure on magic, but I might want to do something akin to otakus. The trouble will be making up believable fiction that fits with the SR theme. Too bad my local hobby store has matrix sold out >_<
CircuitBoyBlue
I don't think shadowrunning in space would be THAT difficult. As a johnson, you'd just hire people on whatever planet you're targetting. Of course, that means the player characters are going to probably limit themselves to one world, but just because there are operations going on elsewhere doesn't mean earth will be totally deserted. In fact, part of the plot of Bladerunner was that much of humanity had left Earth for elsewhere, but plenty was able to go on in that that later partly inspired shadowrun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012