Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ammunition creation costs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TinkerGnome
I'm looking at the Cannon Companion and I thought I understood how the pricing of things works, but I think I'm wrong.

The questions are:
  1. What does an ammunition kit/shop cost? Kits are weapon specific, I know, and I'm guessing they're probably priced in a similar fashion to vehicle tools (per the gunsmithing kits/shops), but that's me assuming. Is this stated anywhere?
  2. What, exactly, does it cost to make your own ammunition? The text indicates that each kit can make "two kinds of ammo", but this seems to deal with the normal/APDS/Ex/Gel/whatever side of the equation and not the ammo itself. It then goes on to talk about costs being reduced, which doesn't make a lot of sense given that it never mentions an initial cost.
  3. What, exactly, are the effects of a failed test. It inidicates that "the character has lost an amount of nuyen equal to the cost of the bullets and must start over with an entirely new kit." So you loose money and you have to buy a new kit? I'm not sure I get it... I can see loosing whatever materials cost you had invested, but not the kit as well (on a botched roll, yes).
Berzerker
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
I'm looking at the Cannon Companion and I thought I understood how the pricing of things works, but I think I'm wrong.

The questions are:

1. What does an ammunition kit/shop cost?  Kits are weapon specific, I know, and I'm guessing they're probably priced in a similar fashion to vehicle tools (per the gunsmithing kits/shops), but that's me assuming.  Is this stated anywhere?
  2. What, exactly, does it cost to make your own ammunition?  The text indicates that each kit can make "two kinds of ammo", but this seems to deal with the normal/APDS/Ex/Gel/whatever side of the equation and not the ammo itself.  It then goes on to talk about costs being reduced, which doesn't make a lot of sense given that it never mentions an initial cost.
  3. What, exactly, are the effects of a failed test.  It inidicates that "the character has lost an amount of nuyen equal to the cost of the bullets and must start over with an entirely new kit."  So you loose money and you have to buy a new kit?  I'm not sure I get it...  I can see loosing whatever materials cost you had invested, but not the kit as well (on a botched roll, yes).

The ammo kit/shop costs the same as any other kit in the BBB. 500 nuyen.gif for a kit, 5000 nuyen.gif for a shop. It doesnt specifically state that anywhere that I know of, but all kits seem to cost the same no matter what their purpose.

When you buy a kit, it can do two types of ammo, regular and one variant. The additional 10% to be able to make different types of ammo is for the nondisposable equipment thats required to load the new type of ammo (special presses and such). That expenditure doesnt include the materials that are expended when you actually make ammo.

When you load your own ammo, the default cost is the same as buying it. However, successes on your build/repair check can be used to decrease the cost or the time. For each success devoted to cost, reduce the price of those rounds by 5% to a maximum savings of 50%.

As for having to "start over again with an entirely new kit" I'd say the character has wasted the money he spent on those 10 rounds (ie normal price for the rounds) and has to start a new batch.
Thistledown
I have a character who's main thing is that he makes bullets. (In fact, his street name is Bullets). Has a full ammo shop, $5000. Mainly, it's a way to avoid dealing with the availability to get special ammo. At character creation, I looked up the probablility for each ammo type, based on his skill in that b/r. Then I worked out how many attempts he'd have to do in order to get x amount of any one, based on that propability. Then I charged him for all the attempts, both failed and succeeded, to reflect the cost of supplies. The shop was fine in throughout.

Nothing like starting off the game with AV rounds, and only an ingram valient to put them in. (Actually, he didn't make that many AV rounds, since even with his best skill he only succeeded less than 11% of the time. At $20 per round, that add's up fast. Now glasers, he'd get right 50.15% of the time. A bit better.)

I don't think you'd have to buy a new kit if you failed, you just pay the cost of the ammo and the time spent, and get nothing for it.
spotlite
er, kits and shops cost differing amounts depending on what they are for - there's a multiplier involved though I can't remember the details. I beleive ammunition kits however, are standard.
TinkerGnome
That's the thing, it doesn't say. Gunsmithing kits are equivalently priced to vehicle kits, but no reference is made on ammunition kits (the word "general" is used once in the text, but it doesn't seem to be an indicator of type so much as a statement of something else).

I'm guessing I need to send these questions to the official answers guys.
Berzerker
I'd say the kits cost the base amount (500 nuyen.gif ) since the Cannon Companion says "Cased ammo can be created by owning an ammo kit (at the standard cost)" I'm assuming thats at the standard cost as opposed to the vehicle or electronics cost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012