Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th Edition compatibility to 5th Edition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Troyminator
Hi All;

I did a search to see if my question has already been answered, but didn't find anything conclusive. I hope I'm not asking a question that has already been beaten to death.

I was a late comer to 4th Edition. In the last 4 years I've bought every book I could get in my hands and have dropped about $1,000 on SR 4th edition books. My basic question is: does anyone know if 4th Edition books will be useful in 5th edition or will they be useful for just lore/story/history?

Thanks and be well!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Well, they will always be useful. Especially if you do not make the jump to 5th Edition. smile.gif
AS to compatibility, it has yet to be seen exactly HOW compatible they will be. There are a few major changes, though (Limit Breaks of a sort; and Skills go to 12 now, for a few examples).
BishopMcQ
During previous edition changes, there has been a conversion guide posted for how to bring something from the old edition to the new. When that comes out, I think we will be able to see how mechanically relevant the 4E books will be.

All of the fluff books (Corp enclaves, 6WA, feral cities, etc) should still be very useful barring any changes introduced in Storm Front and later campaign books.
All4BigGuns
They'll still be pretty relevant for a while, as it's a better idea to stick with the previous edition until enough sources are out for the new one to make it actually enjoyable (core book only is boring as hell).
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Mar 14 2013, 09:54 AM) *
They'll still be pretty relevant for a while, as it's a better idea to stick with the previous edition until enough sources are out for the new one to make it actually enjoyable (core book only is boring as hell).

For you, perhaps. One shouldn't make blanket statements for everyone, however.
redwulfe
I find even my 1st edition books to be useful. looking through the books for pieces of information that haven't been put in 4th like response times from fourth or legality codes and laws from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Especially info on the constitution in the neo-anarchist guide to North america and different parts of the world that have not been updated fully like the native american nations books. All of the splat books on corporations and such can contain info that is very valid info. Just now I find myself going through older mods and updating them to the 2050 supplements to run through a historical campaign for my newer players. With the return of ghost walker I find myself going back into my old Denver supplements. Though the rules may not be the same the info in most of the books is always relevant to a game since it is historical references for future events.

Red
binarywraith
Welcome to edition changes, Troy. The old stuff stays useful as reference, and as something to play instead if you have issues with the newer material, but given a few years essentially everything you own now will be republished for 5e with a new and different set of editing mistakes and late errata. biggrin.gif
Lionhearted
I can imagine the "converting character guide for 5ed"

• Raptor legs are once again kid stealth legs.
• Magic is still breakable as ever
• Uh, yeah hackers... You're deckers now aaaand you probably need to remake your character from the ground up, sorry guys.

Also crunch comes and goes good fluff stays forever
CanRay
"Mungo likez tha Crunch dat cumms wit' da Ize Creemz." "Those are nightcrawlers. Who orders nightcrawlers on ice cream other than Mungo." "Little troll girls. I should know, I was one once." "OK. I'm never raiding your squat for ice cream ever again."
Bigity
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 14 2013, 10:40 AM) *
For you, perhaps. One shouldn't make blanket statements for everyone, however.

I think we can assume internet posts are opinions by default by now. Especially around here.

Anyways, the core books tend to leave alot of stuff out.
Fatum
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 15 2013, 01:22 AM) *
Also crunch comes and goes good fluff stays forever
That answer is bound to make the poor original poster sad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012