Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extension (Metamagic)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kesendeja
Extension (Metamagic)
Takes one numeric factor such as range or duration of a single spell, power or metamagic ability and increases it by a factor of one half Initiate grade.
Each factor modified requires a separate purchase of the metamagic ability.
Effects may stack.
Pendaric
Would your elaborate a bit please?

I am probably being slow but as spells are line of sight (bar detection spells) and sustained spells are sustained how does this work?
Kesendeja
For example a grade 4 initiate casts levitate, with extension weight. That means the weight lifted per hit is multiplied by a factor of two.

Sorry for the confusion.
Pendaric
Sorry to say for SR3 this would be too powerful if mini maxed with a couple of spells and spell design options. Specifically extended area and any area or barrier spells.

It might make the humble sammy just a bit too over shadowed by the wizzer for my 2 nuyen.gif.

Not too sure about SR4 am afraid
Lionhearted
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve... Seem like you're trying to work around force for utility spells.
DMiller
I added something like this to my (very) pink mohawk game. Here is the text of what I added:
[ Spoiler ]

*Edit
I would not recommend something like this for any normal game.

-D
RHat
Any spell you'd use this on is powerful enough already. All this really serves to be is a dodge around higher Drain values, something which should absolutely not see its way into the game - especially since there's ample methods to deal with drain as it is.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (RHat @ Mar 19 2013, 04:33 AM) *
Any spell you'd use this on is powerful enough already. All this really serves to be is a dodge around higher Drain values, something which should absolutely not see its way into the game - especially since there's ample methods to deal with drain as it is.

I have to agree here. We have similar tricks in our games, but they are more intended for one magician to aid another magician and split the drain value(s) between them.
DMiller
QUOTE (RHat @ Mar 19 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Yup, but it's pink mohawk and really fun. We've found it doesn't tend to reduce the drain it just keeps it from shifting into physical. The one character in our game that has this ability has never taken the extra time to reduce the drain, she just resists the whole thing in one go. It's a lot of fun seeing a Blast Ball (think fireball with blast not fire) take down a building. But as I mentioned our game has pink mohawks that can be seen from high orbit, maybe the moon.

-D
Shaidar
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Mar 17 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Extension (Metamagic)
Takes one numeric factor such as range or duration of a single spell, power or metamagic ability and increases it by a factor of one half Initiate grade.
Each factor modified requires a separate purchase of the metamagic ability.
Effects may stack.

Sounds like an attempt to port over a D&D feat.

In SR4 each spell has a variable power level chosen at time of casting. So the AoE of a Fireball is already a radius in meters equal to the Force you choose when you cast it, not when you learn the spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012