Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love you guys!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Topper28
Well, I gotta say, this is a very cool site. I´ve been playing SR for a couple of years now, but only recently bought the 3rd. edition thingy! Although, the basics are pretty much the same, I´ve found that 3rd. edition definitely kicks 2nd edition ass! There´s alot to read, and alot to remember. Seems almost impossible for a GM to keep track of it all. I´ve started reading the core book today, and I am a little discouraged (is that an actual english word??) Dang it, there´s alot of things in this game. Seems a bit overwhelming (guess that´s an english word too)

But then I discover this little site. A place for everyone to ask questions regarding, GM´ing, rules, weapons, cyber,.....etc. And you get your answer right away.

I´ll be posting alot in here in the future, so bear in mind that I am a Dane, with no exceptional english language skills. (And I might ask incredible lame ass questions from time to time too)

Well, I started this topic with an urge just to say thanx for all future help.

Gotta love this site!!! biggrin.gif
Erebus
Honestly, I think your English is better than mine, and I'm a Native Born New Englander USA....

I hear you on getting all the rules down... I re-picked up Shadowrun about a month ago, and had to pretty much re-learn everything again, and it can be pretty daunting. I think I can say though, as long as you really enjoy the game, it's not so bad.

smile.gif
TinkerGnome
If you're expecting to get the rules down... don't. Just be familiar enough with them to look them up. I'm always learning something new.
Topper28
Tinker, I don´t believe me, I wouldn´t even try! I am just having a tough time deciding where to begin. I guess character generation is a good place. *LOL* Next I´ll figure out how every aspect of the character sheet works; spells, weapons, skills...ect. But as of how to run the first game, I´ve decided to make it a learning session for all players. Get to know the new system kinda thing. Keep it simple. Using mainly combat and skills maybe a little magic, so we don´t drown ourselves in rules and confusion.

Any other grand ideas would be hughly appreciated biggrin.gif

Nikoli
Next tip, put together a list of the tables and charts and make yourself a cheat-sheet that encompases all the books you own and update religiously. And make sure you double check the errata on the official site, there are some changes, some are minor type setting or sentence fragment corrections, others are serious changes, like switching stats for 2 weapons etc.
Topper28
Well, I´ve actually already started making such a list, but only for character generation. As far as errata´s concerned I have the thirteenth print so I should be ok. (Although, I believe I have already found an errata nobody knew of!!! How´s that for a guy who bought the book yesterday! E-mailed the errata to the guy in charge)

Maybe he´ll reward me with a life time supply of sourcebooks!!
Ancient History
Welcome ABoard.<pun intended>
RedmondLarry
Topper, your written English skills are very good. Many on dumpshock don't care enough to write well and clearly. You do. We're glad to have you with us.

/Edit: It's common for someone to swear at you and call you names during your first week on Dumpshock. Ignore it. The rest of us are glad you're here.
gknoy
BTW - re: character generation ...

Save yourself time and frustration by getting the NSRCG, written by McMackie:

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/mcmackie/

It handles almsot every detail of character generation.

Start with priority (as that's whats in the SR3 core book) system, and then look at points / becks once you get the basics down pat. smile.gif

Soon you too can be creating adept characters in your head while commuting. =D
Kagetenshi
No! No! No! No! No!

Don't even toucn NSRCG until you're more than capable of producing a character on your own. I've dealt with far too many NSRCG-spread misconceptions (First language free? Pshaw.). It's a great little program, but it has its problems. NSRCG is not a replacement for knowing the chargen rules!

~J
lodestar
I love you too man! biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
Kalibar
Welcome, I haven't been here too long myself, but the site is a great resource. Expect a fair amount of debate, sometimes a bit ummm...overzealous. But that's mainly cause everyone here is really into Shadowrun.

I second Kag's advice: don't start out using the NSRCG. First, you really should have a good grasp of character creation. I know I run into occasional discrepancies between the program and canon, and I wouldn't have noticed them if I wasn't used to making characters up by hand. Still once you know what you're doing its a useful tool.
shadd4d
Well Topper, it's always good to see representation from outside the US and/or Americans.

Don
Tziluthi
Hey Topper. You're better off reading the basic rules in the BBB (as in "Big Black Book", otherwise known as Shadowrun 3RD edition) and getting a decent handle of them, especially the basics for decking and magic. That'll give you a good base for everything Shadowrun-wise. I'd also suggest not starting any discussions about Called Shots (those can get pretty bitter). Otherwise, have fun here, and don't take anything we say too seriously.
D.Generate
Remember as a GM for Shadowrun its more importantto keep you players interested in the game than remembering every little rule. Aside from the basics don't worry about all the rules. Players will more often than not throw things at you that aren't even covered by any rules. But wih quick thinking you can keep the game moving smoothly and packed with fun.

Oh and welcome to our little disfunctional family.
toturi
I take my Canon Rules very seriously... Read the BBB till the pages fall out.
Diesel
Shh, you can ignore him a little more than you ignore the rest of us. biggrin.gif Everyone knows heavily housed rules are better, huh Toturi?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012