Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Player made spells list. And balancing.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AndrosDeragon
Hey all Andros here, I love magic (even if i can't use magic in the campaign) and just for fun (was bored and on a bus trip from one state to another) I made a mystic adept with three unique spells (+ three normal ones).

Here I hope will be a trend where we can share and help balance each other spells, or just aggravate the gm.

Just one rule though, no more variation on the turn to goo spell please. As funny and awesome as it is, its a bit old now (But go ahead with any other spell that will make the GM go why).

With that said, here is the three spells. All three spells are combat spells but at the same time not combat spells, It sets the weapon but I (as the player character) still need to use the weapon skill associated to it.

The first is FoxFire.

FoxFire (Blade)
Description : Elemental, Indirect, Touch
Restricted Target : Blade
Type: P
Damage: P
Range: T
Duration: I
DV: (F÷2)+2

The spell itself causes the blade (any blade) to be on fire for three rounds and increase the Damage Value by 2 of the weapon due to the element (fire). The spell must be held by the user so if he passes the weapon to other player it doesn't work. It also can set an enemy on fire although that will determined by the armour or clothing or whatever rules i have yet to find. The spell is a stranded action.

the second spell is Thundercracker.

Thundercracker (Blade)
Restricted Target : Blade
DV: (F÷2)+2

The same as above except it uses lighting rather than fire. Also It cannot set anyone on fire so it will increase the Damage Value by 3 instead of 2.

The last one is Aero Sparrow (was not very imaginative with the name)

Aero Sparrow (Throw)
Very Restricted Target : Throwing Knives
DV: (F÷2)+1

The spell consumes three throwing knives and turns it into a flaming sparrow shaped weapon to be then thrown. The spell increases the range of the throwing weapon by x2, gives the damage value of the weapon into 10P damage (one knife is 4p x2 +2 elemental damage). The spell only last for that round (cast and throw idea) and it cannot set anything non-organic on fire (meaning missing the target will not set the explosive canister behind it to explode).

So those are the spells let me know what you think and what to tweak. Also Share XD

Thanks Again.
SpellBinder
If you have the Street Magic book (assuming you do), I highly suggest you look at the Elemental Aura spell on page 173. At a -4 to the Drain Resistance (for a result of [F/2]-1 Drain) you can make it a Caster Only/Touch spell. Throw in a Manipulation Sustaining Focus for it, and you're pretty much set.

Applying this to a throwing weapon could be a little trickier, but I see it as doable. At (F/2)+1 it's a touch spell you can cast onto anything, which you could cast onto something like a throwing knife. You'll have to resist your own spell while holding the object (at Force damage), but you get your Counterspelling skill against this (AFAIK). If you're on a pyro bend, might want to invest in some gloves with Fire Resistance 6 in them.
ShadowDragon8685
In my Shadowrun game (if it's still going on, haven't played or heard from the GM in three weeks,) one of the characters is a Free Spirit who started with a custom spell that's exactly like Heal, only it works on Stun damage instead of Physical damage.

Obviously, the restrictions about magic not being able to heal Drain damage are still in effect. However, there are not and never have been any restrictions on magic healing damage from Fading or from harmful ASIST Biofeedback, so the technomancers and hackers got a lot of mileage out of it. Thanks to a Quickened Mindnet spell, we were in constant telepathic contact with the spirit, so if we got Faded or took damage from Blackout, we could telepathically ask her for some heals.
AndrosDeragon
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 3 2013, 05:47 PM) *
If you have the Street Magic book (assuming you do), I highly suggest you look at the Elemental Aura spell on page 173. At a -4 to the Drain Resistance (for a result of [F/2]-1 Drain) you can make it a Caster Only/Touch spell. Throw in a Manipulation Sustaining Focus for it, and you're pretty much set.

Applying this to a throwing weapon could be a little trickier, but I see it as doable. At (F/2)+1 it's a touch spell you can cast onto anything, which you could cast onto something like a throwing knife. You'll have to resist your own spell while holding the object (at Force damage), but you get your Counterspelling skill against this (AFAIK). If you're on a pyro bend, might want to invest in some gloves with Fire Resistance 6 in them.

Huh ok I must have missed that spell when I went though the list of spells. My only concern is that sustaining the spell which is why i made the FoxFire and Thundercracker spell to be a instant 3 round (first round is when it was cast) spell on the weapon. Unless I'm wrong in the calculation or rules of course.

As for the throwing weapon spell yeah the player will be in a full body armor (with gloves) at fire resistant 6 and conductivity 6.
SpellBinder
Which is why I mentioned a Manipulation Sustaining Focus, use it to hold the spell for you. At two karma per Force of the focus, it's not that bad to bond. At 10,000¥/Force and availability of 4R/Force, it just might be a bit hard to come by.
AndrosDeragon
Good Point SpellBinder. New question though how hard is it to substance a spell?
Udoshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 3 2013, 02:52 AM) *
In my Shadowrun game (if it's still going on, haven't played or heard from the GM in three weeks,) one of the characters is a Free Spirit who started with a custom spell that's exactly like Heal, only it works on Stun damage instead of Physical damage.

Amusing! I'm playing a free spirit at the moment, and the GM was kind enough to throw some of the worst FSPC rules out the window. As a result, I'm going to be picking up the Mind Link power from Running Wild on my next initiation. its incredibly worth looking into whether or not your gm will let you pick up powers from books written after RC was.

I'm using a number of custom spells on that character also.

Ghost: Improved invisibility with spell design to Multisense, so it works on hearing and sensors equally as well as sight.
The other one I'm using is Cryptathesia for Dual Natured Astral Perception, which lets me, essentially, be a walking astral shallow - or at least make people experience the effect of one.
if I ever get the karma for it, I'm picking up an Evidence Destroying Aura: A firewater aura modified to Self Only, Touch, and acid instead of water for all the continual damage goodness it takes to destroy things.
Freya
QUOTE (AndrosDeragon @ Apr 3 2013, 11:17 PM) *
Good Point SpellBinder. New question though how hard is it to substance a spell?

Er, what do you mean by "substance" a spell, exactly? Sustain?
AndrosDeragon
yeah sustain the spell a small typo XP
SpellBinder
Okay, so my original post was wrong.

Sustaining a spell isn't that hard. No action to say it's sustained, a free action to drop, and a -2 DP modifier per sustained spell.

Added: Adding a somewhat forgotten Counterspelling option, where someone can do a Counterspelling + Magic opposed test against Force + caster's Magic to dispell a sustained spell, with the net hits reducing the sustained spell's Force. Quickened spells add the karma spent to resisting being dispelled.
Freya
Yes, as long as your spell is Sustained or Permanent it can be sustained without doing anything else. Sustained is exactly as SpellBinder described, Permanent spells start off as being the same as Sustained but you lose the dice pool penalty for concentrating on it after a certain number of turns, depending on the spell's Force. Likewise, if you have a Sustaining Focus and/or the Quickening metamagic you can avoid the dice pool penalty.
Pendaric
I have a few unique spells from SR3 games but no SR4 ones am afraid. I am toying with an astral shield spell to accompany astral armour- so you get staked protection. For the dedicated astral dualist to surprise the PCs.

The down side would be the need for another sustaining focus.
Freya
Don't forget that if the character is an initiate, the Quickening metamagic does pretty well the same thing as a Sustaining Focus. You just need some spare Karma lying around at the time that you cast the spell. (If it's an NPC, you could even just say "this character has the following spells Quickened:", like every canon Awakened Prime NPC seems to.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012