Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way of the Adept question - "Rounding as Normal"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samoth
The various ways give a 25% discount to specific powers. However, the "rounding as normal" notation is vague - how exactly does it work?

Example: Increased Reflexes 1: Normal cost 1.5, "rounded cost" 1.25 or the actual 1.125 (1.5x.75)?
Mantis
This is something the guy who wrote the thing had to say. Consider it an unofficial errata for Way of the Samurai. He didn't realize they had never specified a rounding protocol in the rules when he wrote that bit. He says to just do what seems like it will make the game the best for your style of play.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1nV...oaHEIAStJRLFVOU
_Pax._
QUOTE (Mantis @ Apr 6 2013, 11:05 PM) *
He didn't realize they had never specified a rounding protocol in the rules when he wrote that bit.

Probably because prior editions, including first, DID have a specific Rounding rule: "Always down, whether it hurts you or helps you." Except in cases where fractional accounting is in obvious use - Adept power points, Essence, etc. Then you never round. Period. smile.gif
Samoth
I guess I'll just treat it like cyberware then, with a "hole" of unused points since otherwise you can't really use it on .25 point powers.
_Pax._
I'd go with the actual cost, 1.125 - ignore the "round as usual" comment entirely.
SpellBinder
With the why the rounding is described in the unofficial errata, I agree. I've always never rounded for the adept powers, anyway. And yes, I've ended up with a few character concepts that had like 0.1875 or even 0.0625 power points remaining and I'm fine with that.
_Pax._
Yeah, that fraction of a point may not be useful NOW. But in fifteen or twenty Karma, when you can initiate (and if your GM allows it, take a new PP instead of a Metamagic) ... that tiny sliver of power is still there, to be used on MORE discounted powers (or more levels of what you already have).

^_^
DMiller
I've been using a spreadsheet that allows for rounding to the nearest 1/4 point. Seems to work well. A single 1/4 point power seems no benefit, but when added to others it does make a difference.
_Pax._
^_^ HeroLab automatically calculates it to the exact decimal.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 8 2013, 12:00 AM) *
^_^ HeroLab automatically calculates it to the exact decimal.
So does Chummer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012