Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horror Marks, Demon Pacts, and Corruption
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kesendeja
Corruption
A taint on your astral essence, a wrongness of the spirit, whatever you want to call corruption it’s bad news. Runner’s more than anyone run into situations where this spiritual malady is contracted.

Rent Veil
Characters caught in a full blown intrusion of corrupted space, or within the area of astral taint, may gain corruption points, just how many depends on the severity of the breach. Use the score of the Warp as the threshold to resist the corruption. A new check must be made every twenty four hours with a cumulative one to the threshold.

Fell Sorcery
Blood sacrifice, twisted and toxic magic and the like may leave a corrupted mark on the character’s aura. Also simply knowing about some of these things has the potential to twist one’s mind. Practicing the dark arts gains a character an automatic point of corruption, simply being exposed to it requires the character to make a Willpower test with a threshold of two hits.

Dark Deeds
Acts done in the furtherance of a malignancy, or in pursuit of forbidden lore, or done to appease a Daemon always carry the chance of gaining Corruption Points. It requires a Willpower test with a threshold determined by the GM depending on how depraved the acts are. Failure gains a point of corruption.

Dark Pacts
A character can voluntarily risk corruption by making a pact with a daemon or horror. Each point of corruption taken voluntarily counts as a service by the spirit.

Pacts of Survival
• Infernal Vitality: All body tests for poisons, toxins and diseases are made using Body x2.
• Unsettling Recovery: Gains the regeneration critter power.
• Timeless: The character does not age and, if elderly, he slowly regresses physically over time to how he was when he was at his most vigorous.

Pacts of Dominion
• Commanding Presence: The character is usually treated with respect and fondness by everyone he meets. Character reduces charisma based skill penalties by the force of the spirit.
• Unquestionable Order: The character may spend an Edge Point to make a command that is very difficult to resist obeying. Make an opposed Charisma x2 vs the subjects Willpower +Charisma. The command must be something the subject is able to do, and within their rational bounds. This is an order that the subject is inclined to follow without question, not mind control. So, for example, the character could order an elite guard to release a prisoner, but could not order the guard to shoot himself.
• Destiny Writ in Shadows: Dark forces conspire to aid and protect the character. Every time the character spends an Edge Point, the character has the chance to recovers the Edge Point immediately. They make a Edge test at their current level. Two success means that the point is not really spent.

Pacts of Vengeance
• Whistle and I Shall Come: The Daemon appears once when so called, and destroys the character’s enemies. All the character must do is call when in the presence of the subjects of their vengeance. The demon will typically respond. Make an edge test to see if the demon is available the number of hits equals the number of combat turns it’s available.
• A Reckoning: The character can specify a single person who is the subject of his vengeance and within a month events transpire so that he encounters them in person if at all possible. No more than one individual can be the subject of the reckoning at a time. This ability in no way has a direct affect on the target, it merely gives the pact holder the opportunity to unleash their vengeance.
• Dark Power: The player may wish for strength and power to defeat his enemies by his own hands; he gains a power similar to the Channeling Metamagic with regards to his pact spirit. The character makes an opposed Charisma + Willpower test vs. twice spirits force. Net hits equal the number of services granted. Failure means that no services are gained. In all other respects treat this as the Channeling Metamagic. (p.54, SM)

Pact of Desire
• Creating Perfection: The character may specify a particular artistic task that he wishes to undertake, such as sculpting a statue or writing a book, and succeed in it to such a degree that the result is “perfect”. This pact grants an automatic critical success for the piece of art. Given such perfection’s source, however, the work may have unforeseen side effects, and may be too much for mortals to bear, irrevocably tainted or extremely dangerous (works of art that drive the viewer mad and the like).
• Goods & Chattels: If wealth, objects, title or deeds are desired the demon uses a variation on the wealth power to generate the money needed to buy such things. Each service burned in this manner allows the demon to make a Magic + Edge test, where every hit generates 10,000 nuyen worth of wealth. Alternatively if fame is desired every two hits gains a point of fame, which works in a manner similar to public awareness. Remember since the boon is the gift of a Demon, somebody, somewhere should suffer as a result, it’s not a benevolent transaction.
• Mastery: The character may select a single Skill over which he gains complete Mastery. From this point on, they reduce negative modifiers when using the Skill by the Force of the demon. Also, if he spends an Edge Point, he automatically succeeds with a critical success.

Pact of Knowledge
• Show Me: The character gains the powers of a seer, and is able to see clairvoyant visions (of distant or hidden people, places, events and so on). These visions may be limited in scope to things present, past, or possible future, and by other occult factors. The more powerful the boon of vision, the more costly to the character it will be. The visions are always experienced in the same way, in a manner particular to the character, as images captured in a reflected surface or as a sudden painful delirium, for example. The character must spend an Edge Point to see such a vision willfully. Chose either the Clairvoyance spell, the Psychomitry or Divination Metamagic or a combination thereof. Each power cost one corruption point to use and the Force is equal to the demons Force.
• True Savant: The character may make any Knowledge Test as if he has that Skill at a rank 1, and may re-roll any Test for a Knowledge skill that he is learned in.
• Master of Tongues: The character may make any Language Test as if he has that Skill at a rank 1, and may re-roll any Test for a Language skill that he is learned in. This works on written languages as well as spoken.

Corruption Level
All characters have a track to measure their corruption levels. It is figured using 8 + half the average of Willpower and Charisma.

Resisting Corruption
Characters have a last ditch effort to avoid corruption. They may make a Willpower check verses a threshold determined by the circumstances where the taint was gained. Each hit negates one point of corruption.

Resist Mutations
The character must make a Body test with a threshold determined by the chance of mutation. Failure means that the character must spend that many points on Surge effects. They also gain a number of negative qualities as indicated on the table, without gaining the points. Each level is accumulative.

Consumed by taint
Once the taint score reaches over five times the CL they are consumed by the corrupting energies and become something less than human. They become daemons (use the insect spirits as a guide line).
CODE
Corruption   Descriptor       Effect
Up to CL           ----             ----
CL x2            Tainted        -1 to a random attribute
                                           Chance of Mutation (Threshold of 2)
                                           10/5 Surge points and one flaw,
                                           10 BP in Negative Qualities
CL x3            Soiled           -1 to a random attribute
CL x4            Debased       -1 to a random attribute
                                           Chance of Mutation  (Threshold of 4)
                                           20/10 additional Surge points,
CL x5            Profaned      -1 to a random attribute
Over CL x5   Damned        Becomes a demon
                                            Chance of Mutation  (Threshold of 6)
                                            30/15 additional Surge points,

Mutation and Changelings
Changelings are not inherently corrupt, being a result of random genetics, though they do bear a passing resemblance to the effects of corruption.

Becoming Horror Marked
If the character takes a toxic version of a mentor spirit they are automatically subject to corruption. There are also mentor spirits that are in of themselves corrupted.

Quality

Sword of Faith
10 BP
True Faith is a special Quality that only a few individuals possess. While many people are more or less devoted to a belief in some form of higher being or purpose, only a small number have the burning zeal, the profound conviction that allows them to fight against corruption. Faith most often manifests itself in religious forms, but can also appear as philosophy or ideal. As an example a devout Jew might be able to ward off demons with their Star of David, or a Taoist might be able to intone special prayers, while a Christian lacking True Faith finds his crucifix impotent. An example of an ideal would be patriotism, where belief in ones country is almost a religion in itself.
The character develops their faith to the point it may serve as a sword. They gain two die for Attacks of Will.

Shield of Faith
15 BP
True Faith is a special Quality that only a few individuals possess. While many people are more or less devoted to a belief in some form of higher being or purpose, only a small number have the burning zeal, the profound conviction that can protect them against corruption. Faith most often manifests itself in religious forms, but can also appear as philosophy or ideal. As an example a devout Jew might be able to ward off demons with their Star of David, or a Taoist might be able to intone special prayers, while a Christian lacking True Faith finds his crucifix impotent. An example of an ideal would be patriotism, where belief in ones country is almost a religion in itself.
Sometimes faith manifests itself in the form of a shield granting the faithful +2 dice to resist inhabitation or possession, and on rolls to resist corruption.

Protective Foci
Some items are created to protect against the affects of corruption. Treat these items as foci for purposes of binding, addiction and maximum number allowed. They either automatically negate a number of corruption point (which will destroy the item) or add additional dice to resist corruption.
They can automatically absorb a number of points equal to five times their force, or give extra dice to resist taint equal to their force. How they are to be used must be stated when the item is bound.
Manunancy
Skimmed throughgh and two first comments :

Corruption : The current amount of corruption acquired should mitigate what's gained - if you're already rotten to the core, minor exposures on't do anyhting

Destiny writ in shadow : I'd suggest a sliding succes number required linked to the current edge - otherwise mr Lucky will burn edge like crazy and never run out. Granted that effect appears over 6 edge, but such high scores happens. Something like in suces for every two or three points of edge. It would also let someone with 1 edge a chance to benefit from the pact.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 10 2013, 01:17 AM) *
Corruption : The current amount of corruption acquired should mitigate what's gained - if you're already rotten to the core, minor exposures on't do anyhting

The thing is it's a slippery slope, the more corruption you have, the easier it is to get. This represents the inevitable slide the pacts generate.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 10 2013, 01:17 AM) *
Destiny writ in shadow : I'd suggest a sliding succes number required linked to the current edge - otherwise mr Lucky will burn edge like crazy and never run out. Granted that effect appears over 6 edge, but such high scores happens. Something like in suces for every two or three points of edge. It would also let someone with 1 edge a chance to benefit from the pact.

Something like this: One hit is needed for every two points of edge the character possesses.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 10 2013, 05:54 AM) *
Corruption Level
All characters have a track to measure their corruption levels. It is figured using 8 + half the average of Willpower and Charisma.

is that a double average or kept intentionally low ? and round up or down ?

i.e.
char has WILL & CHA at 1 ... average is 1 halved is .. 0 or 1 ?
char has WILL & CHA at 2 ... average is 2 halved is 1
char has WILL & CHA at 6 ... average is 6 halved is 3 for a total 11 .. or did you mean to be 14 ? and accidentally double averaged
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Apr 10 2013, 07:19 AM) *
is that a double average or kept intentionally low ? and round up or down ?

i.e.
char has WILL & CHA at 1 ... average is 1 halved is .. 0 or 1 ?
char has WILL & CHA at 2 ... average is 2 halved is 1
char has WILL & CHA at 6 ... average is 6 halved is 3 for a total 11 .. or did you mean to be 14 ? and accidentally double averaged

You round up, but the lower value was meant. It keeps the track in line with both Stun and Physical tracks.
Tanegar
Is this supposed to be a follow-on to another thread? It looks like the first half of your post got truncated. What is corruption, in both the physical and metaphysical senses? What is taint, how does it differ from corruption, and how are they related? There's a lot here that needs explaining.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 10 2013, 01:32 PM) *
Is this supposed to be a follow-on to another thread? It looks like the first half of your post got truncated. What is corruption, in both the physical and metaphysical senses? What is taint, how does it differ from corruption, and how are they related? There's a lot here that needs explaining.

I'll admit I was in a hurry to throw the rules section out there for critic. I'll see about clarifing things later today.
Redjack
As my group plays both Earthdawn and Shadowrun, I like the idea of having a one-shot or a mini-series with horrors & corruption. I hope this evolves a little more.
Manunancy
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 10 2013, 08:28 AM) *
The thing is it's a slippery slope, the more corruption you have, the easier it is to get. This represents the inevitable slide the pacts generate.

On the other hand, once you've reached a certain point, I wouldn't think the 'little things' matter much. Using cartoon evil as an analogy , if you're at the 'torture peoples to death for giggles' stage, puppy kicking is a natural but won't nudge you 'veil-o-meter' reading. Baiscally, if you're already more corrupted than whaever ight give you soem corruption, it shouldn't affect you.

Maybe make it easier to fail the resistance test but reduce the amount of corruption gained according to your current corruption level to reflect those conflicting trends.
Locnil
Isn't this cribbed off Dark Heresy?

Also, more specific criticism: I'm somewhat worried that Mastery might be overpowered with skills like Summoning and Binding.
Also, corruption seems a bit too easy for munchkins to abuse - I think that past a certain point, it should act like the canon rules for blood magic and turn you into an NPC. Unless becoming an daemon automatically turns you into an NPC (it's a little unclear). In addition, the penalties should be steeper, though maybe that's just me. Also, I would prefer that the drawbacks be mostly fluff-based.

Also, and I suspect this is a general rules question, what happens when one of your attributes are reduced to 0?
Bigity
Hm, maybe my runners are going to start having artisan skills, you know, to be prepared for the coming scourge.

Or does coming up with creative ways to shoot people in the face for money count as being uncorrupted?
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Locnil @ Apr 11 2013, 10:36 AM) *
Isn't this cribbed off Dark Heresy?

Also, more specific criticism: I'm somewhat worried that Mastery might be overpowered with skills like Summoning and Binding.
Also, corruption seems a bit too easy for munchkins to abuse - I think that past a certain point, it should act like the canon rules for blood magic and turn you into an NPC. Unless becoming an daemon automatically turns you into an NPC (it's a little unclear). In addition, the penalties should be steeper, though maybe that's just me. Also, I would prefer that the drawbacks be mostly fluff-based.

Also, and I suspect this is a general rules question, what happens when one of your attributes are reduced to 0?

Inspired by, more like. only the pacts come from there and the rules had to be completely rewritten for shadowrun.

demonhood = NPC in my books, unless you want to run for them....

attribute of 0 = dead as per the drain critter power.

thanks for reading.
Mongoose
Horrors, as I recall, were almost never helpful, and the help they provided was most often either in the form of karma or magical teaching. They are less like devils, and more like dragons (in terms of powers) who specialize in emotional corruption and manipulation.

At the very least, I;d say any benefit gained via corruption should come with geas, and it (maybe even all benefits from the same granting entity) stops providing any aid if you break the geas. These geas would be rather dark and disadvantageous, and also encourage the user to lean more heavily on the corrupted benefits. Something like "must have unhealed, self inflicted injury" or "must have burned a point of karma within this lunar cycle (since new moon)."
Kesendeja
I was going more for a Faustian feel with my demons and their pact. Where the mortal gets what their heart desires, but the cost is their soul.
RHat
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 12 2013, 06:34 PM) *
I was going more for a Faustian feel with my demons and their pact. Where the mortal gets what their heart desires, but the cost is their soul.

Which pretty much sounds like a Twisted mage of the Black Magic tradition.
Tanegar
What are demons, who can summon them, and how? Are they a type of free spirit? How do they differ from normal free spirits? Do they have a stat block? You still need to put up the first half of your post. Right now, you're asking us to critique half a system.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 12 2013, 10:42 PM) *
What are demons, who can summon them, and how? Are they a type of free spirit? How do they differ from normal free spirits? Do they have a stat block? You still need to put up the first half of your post. Right now, you're asking us to critique half a system.

The Nature of Demons
Demons and Horrors at their core are powerful, dark and twisted spirits that feed off of the essence of the living. Demons are free spirits and vary in power and ability. Unlike normal free spirits they need a very high level of mana to be called forth. Also, they cannot exist unsupported at the current levels, hence the need for pacts to anchor them to the real world.

Making the Deal
It’s surprisingly easy to make a pact with a demon. In most cases they find you, either through visions or intermediaries. But for the desperate there are rituals and spells to call them forth.
You need a mage to summon the spirit, but after that it’s up to your skills as a negotiator to seal the deal. In most cases the demon gets an anchor to the physical world, plus the joy of corrupting you. Which either destroys you in which case the demon gets to devour what’s left of your astral form, or to spawn a new demon.

As for stat blocks, still working on them.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (RHat @ Apr 12 2013, 10:59 PM) *
Which pretty much sounds like a Twisted mage of the Black Magic tradition.

OK. I'm not seeing a problem with the analogy. These could easily be used as an addendum to the Twisted way. Perhaps the Twisted Way is the first step towards Nethermancy and dealing with Horrors/Demons?

I see it this way. Evolution . The nature of magic and the astral has been evolving since the Awakening. Normal peoples understanding through exploration and experimentation. To think everything is measured, codified and quantified is nuts. The system changes reflect an evolution to the nature of the astral and denizens thereof.

Before tradition defined everything, now it just flavors things. Perhaps the rules we have/had for twisted and toxics are just the beginning?

Think of the additions to the systems that follow no other mechanic other than their own. Bug spirits, twisted magic, shedim, blood mage gestalt, tutor, etc. Yes, many of these are from previous editions, but the (meta)plots are still valid.

Specifically among these would be Mr. Darke and his minions. Threats came out after Harlequin's Back and his section could be use to re-introduce him (so saying the Horrors are not a threat after the Bridge would be in error). It introduces 2 new spirits that do not follow any normal conventions. The crawlers even state they appear to have been human at one time. Darke changed them with some powerful unknown magic. Perhaps the crawlers are just controlled astral forms of those who have falen to corruption? Perhaps that's part of the scheme? Who knows?

Either way, the rules, in and of themselves, seem sound. Their particular use, be it twisted magic, corrupt magic, horrors and their marks, or if you believe they are all precursors to something for more foul, would be up to each GM.

Though, if these rules were used in addition to things, I can see the reason for Dunkie's bounty on toxics and blood mages. smile.gif

The Nature of Demons <snip>

So basically you could say "what those of the 4th called 'Horrors', folk of the 6th would call demons?" I can see the terms used interchangeably. Demon is a term of the mythology that formed after the 4th age.
RHat
I could see the Horrors wanting such a comparison drawn, that they might be underestimated...

And yes, from what I understand, the Horrors ARE that powerful and vile that thinking of them as Demons is underestimating them.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (RHat @ Apr 13 2013, 05:56 AM) *
I could see the Horrors wanting such a comparison drawn, that they might be underestimated...

And yes, from what I understand, the Horrors ARE that powerful and vile that thinking of them as Demons is underestimating them.

devil.gif Sounds like a good plot twist to me. biggrin.gif

As an aside. I was flipping at my old Earthdawn: Horrors book and there seems to be some prescient for corruption. Though what they listed was about a metal elemental being corrupted and Verjigorm, there is still a basis at least. One was corrupted and twisted and the other corrupts and twists dragons...just sayin... grinbig.gif
Kesendeja
Corrupted Soul
5 BP per Level
You have done, or been exposed to, great evil in the past. So bad that you start with corruption points. Each point you start with is worth 5BP, but you may have no more than five at start.

Incorruptible
10 BP per level
Your astral form is more resilient to corruption than most. For each level of this quality, up to a maximum of three, you receive an extra box on your corruption monitor.
Rubic
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 17 2013, 07:09 PM) *
Corrupted Soul
5 BP per Level
You have done, or been exposed to, great evil in the past. So bad that you start with corruption points. Each point you start with is worth 5BP, but you may have no more than five at start.

Incorruptible
10 BP per level
Your astral form is more resilient to corruption than most. For each level of this quality, up to a maximum of three, you receive an extra box on your corruption monitor.

I'm winning at corruption!!
I'm winning at corruption!!
http://www.darklegacycomics.com/46.html
Kesendeja
Critter Power
Corruption Aura (Paranormal)
Type: M Action: Auto Range: Touch Duration: Always
The creature gives off a palatable aura of corruption out to one half of their essence/force in meters. Anything caught within this area must make a test each hour or gain a point of corruption.
Manunancy
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 23 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Critter Power
The creature gives off a palatable aura of corruption out to one half of their magic in meters. Anything caught within this area must make a test each hour or gain a point of corruption.

I would put an upper limit on how much corruption this can give, something like 'CC (critter/characters corruption) minus somehting or half CC'- otherwise it could very, very quickly spiral out of hand. And also result in the bizarre effect that the critter could infilct corruption on something packing even more corruption than itself, which sounds odd.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 23 2013, 04:59 AM) *
Critter Power
The creature gives off a palatable aura of corruption out to one half of their magic in meters. Anything caught within this area must make a test each hour or gain a point of corruption.

I like. But, what about creatures with no magic? Maybe 1/2 Essence/Force in meters?

QUOTE (Manunancy)
I would put an upper limit on how much corruption this can give, something like 'CC (critter/characters corruption' minus somehting or half CC'- otherwise it could very, very quickly spiral out of hand. And also result in the bizarre resul that the critter would infilct corruption on something packing even more corrption than itself, which sounds odd.

I agree. The question is, what unit of measurement do we use?

Say a character is being 'tempted' buy 3 succubi spirits with this power. They would be spirits OF corruption, thereby not having a score themselves. And would the character be immune to this power after his corruption is X high?

Perhaps a critter/spirit may corrupt a particular target a number of points equal to their essence/force at a time. The critter must wait a number of days equal to the targets Corruption score before attempting to tempt them again?
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Apr 23 2013, 02:58 PM) *
I like. But, what about creatures with no magic? Maybe 1/2 Essence/Force in meters?

I like the idea, I'll make the change for the power.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 23 2013, 02:02 PM) *
I would put an upper limit on how much corruption this can give, something like 'CC (critter/characters corruption' minus somehting or half CC'- otherwise it could very, very quickly spiral out of hand. And also result in the bizarre resul that the critter would infilct corruption on something packing even more corrption than itself, which sounds odd.

The idea has merit, it would mean that minor demons could tempt an individual further into depravity, but their presence alone would have a limited effect. How about the demon's corruption minus half the character's corruption, to a limit of one.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Apr 23 2013, 02:58 PM) *
I agree. The question is, what unit of measurement do we use?

Say a character is being 'tempted' buy 3 succubi spirits with this power. They would be spirits OF corruption, thereby not having a score themselves. And would the character be immune to this power after his corruption is X high?

Perhaps a critter/spirit may corrupt a particular target a number of points equal to their essence/force at a time. The critter must wait a number of days equal to the targets Corruption score before attempting to tempt them again?

Temptation isn't a function of the corruption score, or at least I've never seen it as such. It's the demon making a deal, being persuasive, getting the character to dig his own grave.

It's their very nature to corrupt the area around them, twisting it in ways sane men fear. So the two are only peripherally related.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Apr 23 2013, 04:31 PM) *
The idea has merit, it would mean that minor demons could tempt an individual further into depravity, but their presence alone would have a limited effect. How about the demon's corruption minus half the character's corruption, to a limit of one.

What is a demons corruption score equal to then? If it's a demon created by succumbing to corruption, you're talking a score of over 51. "True" demons I would assume would be higher.

Edit:
Didn't mean to leave a half finished post. RL kicked in. indifferent.gif
Basically I'm thinking those numbers may be a bit...excessive.
Assuming a demons' essence/force is it's corruption level, perhaps subtract how far a character is corrupted from a demons effective force rating. I.E. a character who is 'Untainted' (0-CL) would use full force, while a character who is 'Profaned' wouldn't be as affected by a demon, reducing it's effective force/essence by 4. Effectively being more corrupt than some minor demons. This is assuming that 'Untainted' (0-CL)=0, 'Tainted' (up to CLx2)=1, 'Soiled' (up to CLx3)=2, etc.

Temptation isn't a function of the corruption score, or at least I've never seen it as such. It's the demon making a deal, being persuasive, getting the character to dig his own grave.

It's their very nature to corrupt the area around them, twisting it in ways sane men fear. So the two are only peripherally related.

Sorry, but you contradict yourself here. IMHO, temptation is the heart of corruption and the key theme you have already set with the pacts.
Shaidar
Idea!!

I think the CL should have a Karma modifier derived from it in a similar manner as Physical and Stun Damage Tracks have a DP/Iniative Modifier.

So for every 3 CL you receive a -1 to Adventure Karma received, no effect on RP/Individual Karma awards. I propose calling this the Karmic Debt.

This continues unabated until you reach Tainted, at which point you can begin receiving Karma from increasing your Taint. A character can receive Karma in the amount equal to the absolute value of their Karmic Debt each time they increase their Taint Descriptor.

By the time a character reaches Debased they can only receive Karma from individual Awards and by becoming more Attainted (increasing their CL) and decending into Depravity and Daemonhood.

At which point they can only earn Karma by increasing the CL of others.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (Shaidar @ Apr 25 2013, 12:48 AM) *
Idea!!

I think the CL should have a Karma modifier derived from it in a similar manner as Physical and Stun Damage Tracks have a DP/Iniative Modifier.

So for every 3 CL you receive a -1 to Adventure Karma received, no effect on RP/Individual Karma awards. I propose calling this the Karmic Debt.

This continues unabated until you reach Tainted, at which point you can begin receiving Karma from increasing your Taint. A character can receive Karma in the amount equal to the absolute value of their Karmic Debt each time they increase their Taint Descriptor.

By the time a character reaches Debased they can only receive Karma from individual Awards and by becoming more Attainted (increasing their CL) and decending into Depravity and Daemonhood.

Interesting idea. When you mean every 3 CL, you mean every 3 points of corruption? So someone with a CL of 11 could potentially loose 3 karma per adventure (since they would become tainted at 12 points). Then could get 3 (absolute value) back every time they increase to the next stage until demonhood. Then can only receive karma in a manner like a free spirit, only by causing corruption rather than freely given?

Just making sure I got what you meant.

I think I kinda like this. devil.gif cool.gif
Shaidar
Yup, each point of corruption on the track would deduct 1 Karma from each run, not from Individual awards such as playing in character and the like.

Mainly because if a player plays their character sliding into these depths truly I think that should always be rewarded. At the point that they become a Daemon however I feel they should become an NPC Villian.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Shaidar @ Apr 25 2013, 12:48 AM) *
Idea!!

I really like your idea. Do you mind me making it official for the corruption rules?
Shaidar
Feel free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012